PDA

View Full Version : the only bad thing about pastels is...

decoratorgirl
08-29-2005, 11:25 PM
trying to figure out how to display them in a way that keeps them safe (wher people can't put fingers on them) and inexpensively. The great thing about a canvas is you can just hang it up- no worries. Any thoughts on how to handle this. I have several places which I could pursue to display artwork locally but do not want to purchase glass and frame for all work in order to display- too expensive. Trying to think of more of a simple way to display- any thoughts?
Thanks
Leslie

SweetBabyJ
08-29-2005, 11:38 PM
I have used plastic sleeves- and I know they make them anti-static, too, but I just spray anti-static stuff on a paper towel, and run it up inside, then slide the painting in. It works fairly well, minimal dust drop or ghosting, and no surface damage as long as people don't slide it in and out and in and out. You can also take a large portfolio or even a piece of foamcore cut almost in two, for a hinge, and layer your work between sheets of glassine.

Trilby
08-30-2005, 12:14 AM
If you are willing to cut a mat for the workand put it on a backing board you could shrink wrap it. For this purpose you could use a mat made from foam core and a cardboard back with a sheet of aluminum foil between it and the painting. A small roll of shrinkwrap is fairly inexpensive. a friend just told me her method of using it. She wraps the painting, lays a piece of brown paper (paper bag paper) over the back and irons it. For the front she uses her hair dryer to shrink it tight. Attach a hanger and it can go on the wall. For wall display I once put some squares of cork on the wall, Used flat headed tacks in the corners of the work (in this case photos) then hung a large sheet of thin plastic (plexi) over it. I could raise the plastic like a curtain to change out photos and the plexi protected everything. I had all sizes of images from 8x10s to 20x 24 up to a total of about 12 (It was on a long hallway wall). I get cheapie poster frames from Walmart or Target for under $15 to $12 for 16x20 and even got one 20x24 at that price. . At a frame shop you can get plastic spacer that allow you to frame without a mat and keep the work away from the plexi. At my framer's I saw pastel work that had been coated with something by the artist. They end up looking a little like oil paints, yet still have a pastel quality. She frames them like oils. I'm going to try to contact her and find out what she used. They were still rich and bright in color.
TJ

decoratorgirl
08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
What great ideas- and I knew you all would have them! thanks- this certainly gives me some options. but, what is glassine if I might ask??
Thanks
Leslie

chewie
08-30-2005, 09:35 PM
glassine is a type of paper, that doesn't have static, looks like waxed paper in your kitchen. this glassine is sold where most pastel stuff can be purchased, and its cheap.
its pretty handy stuff to have around, if you're gonna do pastels. its also good to put between pastel paintings to store, (one painting, piece of glassine, another painting, and so on) or i like to use it overtop a painting if i want to take it somewhere, and still protect it. just tape over top, and go. it comes in fairly large sheets, and some pastel paper pads have it too.