PDA

View Full Version : Walled garden... or maybe not

Camellia Sinensis
08-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Do you think this one is finished? In any case, it doesn't have a title yet. I intended to call it simply "walled garden", but maybe "Escape of the green monster!!" would suit it best. :evil:

I used W&N paint and some watercolor pencil on Arches cold press paper 15x20. I had a photo reference for the "green monster", the wall and the shadow, but would like to know your impressions before I post it.

C&C would be really appreciated. :)

Becky-Bob
08-29-2005, 07:30 PM
You did a WONDERFUL rendition of the brick wall, and the greens....WOW!! Really well, well done! :clap:

To me, and this is just me it appears to need something to the left of the garden gate, against that wall....something not large, perhaps a potted plant of some sort. The eye wants to wander left and continue going.

Others will probably have better ideas.

artmom
08-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Very nicely done, but, IMO, it is lacking something. Perhaps just a dot of color through the gate, or perhaps a touch of yellow in the shrub in the center of the background through the gate. :D

However, you may just want to leave it as is, with maybe just a bit of texture on the wall itself.

Lyn

painterbear
08-30-2005, 05:19 AM
Camellia,

You have a lovely delicate style of painting. I don't remember seeing any of your work before this and I really like it.

You also must have an enormous well of patience to do all those bricks in the foreground! The green "monster" is also very well painted. But, my eye wants to go through that gate to the lovely mix of plants and shrubs beyond it. Perhaps just a little bit of color in those flowers at the base of the bushes would be nice and accent the focal point a little more.

You made me smile with the cat longingly looking at the pigeons on the other side of the gate. :p

Overall, I like your painting a lot.

Sylvia

Camellia Sinensis
08-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks for replying and for your nice comments! I think that the consensus is that something is missing to break the monotony of the wall.

Becky: a potted plant is a good idea, I think I'll try it.
Artmom: I don't know if I can still put more color inside the garden. There are some pink flowers in the background, but I put them too far. Maybe flowers in a pot outside the gate, to link your idea with Becky's, would solve the problem?
Painterbear: I'm afraid there is no cat... just some flowers sticking out. The green monster could extend a tentacle and grab the birds though! :D

laudesan
08-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Your painting is very lovely. I agree with earlier comments, that you need something inside the gate to stop our eyes dissapearing in there. I would make those pink flowers red if it were mine..

Becky-Bob
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
You know I just looked at this again....and it makes me wonder, does the garden look unattainable because the gate is closed? Maybe if the gate was open just enough to indicate that one would be welcomed there. Just my thought. :)

Ottersong
08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Hmmmm, personally what I think is missing is sunshine and deeper shadows especially the one on the wall. It is a lovely composition. You have tried to paint a sunny day but your color is so soft that it looks sort of foggy. Maybe if you went over the wall and foreground bricks with a wash of raw sienna or quin gold well watered down it would bring the sun in and darken the shadow on the wall.

Otter

Camellia Sinensis
08-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, I have a good program for the weekend!

Becky: I wanted the garden mysterious and not necessarily welcoming. It appeals to the five-year-old kid in me who would people such a place with fantastic creatures. However, I hope that potted flowers near the gate will look a little warmer, balance the composition and lead the eye out of the gate. We'll see.
Ottersong (what a lovely name): It looks a little warmer in real life, but you still have a point.

I'll post the painting again if I manage to improve it. Thanks again all! :wave:

Laurie2
08-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Camellia :wave: ....I like this composition very much...maybe some more darks and how about some straggly bits of hedge to break that neat curve......but as with my own stuff...I am too light on with darks and perhaps you are too...some darker greens for example...and darker shadows perhaps :)

jaydiva
08-31-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi Camellia!! This is a beautiful painting. You did very well on all the greens and i really like the little peek through the garden door.
I think Sylvia had some good advice regarding a little colour here and there.
Maybe it would work nice if you could just put a few hanging vines on the right side of the wall. This might break up the even look of it.

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg