PDA

View Full Version : WDEers weekly 8/29 - 9/4

connievanwinssen
08-29-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi all,
I'm back from my weekend artmarket. It was fun and it was cold.
The first day I sold nothing, but heard that the cows from my signatureline sold in the gallery :clap:
The second day I sold 3 little ones: the cow from last weeks WDE and the rooster and pig I made in the same colours as a triptych.
The last day I sold 3 little ink drawings of little cats and 2 hours before closing time I sold a big one with yellow tulips (second photo on the left).
So at the last minute my loss turned into profit.
At home everything had gone fine, except the house is a total mess, so I don't know if I can manage a WDE entry.
Next weekend we have our annual familyweekend (about 60 people) from my husbands side. (He comes from a family with 13 children)
Here are some photos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/42792-ootmarsum1.jpg
This is my husband with my paintings.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/42792-ootmarsum2.jpg
The rest of them

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/42792-katdrieluik05.jpg
The cat drawings I sold

Have a great week everybody!

lorna12
08-29-2005, 05:50 AM
Way to go Connie...Congrats on the sales! I love those kitty cats! Is that your hubby?? It makes all the work worth while and you also feel appreciated as an artist when your paintings sell, doesn't it?

We are also planning a big gathering next weekend...but we are all going camping. I think there will be about 20 of us...nothing near the size of your gathering, Connie. But all my kids and grandkids (including the newest babe) plus a few other relatives will be there, so I'm really looking forward to it. It's our (Canada's) Labour Day holiday weekend. Gosh where did the summer go??? It will, in all likelyhood, be our last camping trip of the year.:(

More later...I'm off to bed...nite:) :wave:

bjcpaints
08-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Hello everyone!
Connie, Yours paintings look great against the black backdrop (and your hubby isn't bad looking either)! Congrats on your sales!! My little show was nothing to write home about but better than the last one.
Lorna, I'm not surprised it will be the last weekend for camping. The leaves are changing here already and last week we had the heat on one morning before going to work - it was in the 40s (fahrenheit)! I think I spelled that wrong - oh well - it was pretty darn cold!
I will not see my daughter and grandkids again till I go in October for Corey's 5th birthday. It is my favorite trip of the year with the fall weather and colorful leaves. Plus DH stays home with the pets so I am free to stop wherever I please, whenever I please on the way there and back. Its a much more relaxing vacation for me, even though it won't be a full week.
Well, work awaits me here. Our terminal computer service, through our corporate office in Florida, was down all day Friday due to the hurricane Katrina, so I have a big stack of work here today.
TTYL
Barbara

khourianya
08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
We're going camping this weekend, too, Lorna. I'm hoping to do some painting in Jasper, though we will have Cam's niece and nephew with us so that may prove difficult. I may bring some colouring books to keep them occupied.

We have been looking for a new car for the past week...what an ordeal. The Maxima is letting little things go now. This last one was the windshield wipers - which stopped working in the middle of a downpour! We have come tot he realization that our 16 year old car wants to nickel and dime us to death so are looking at brand new cars. I am hoping we will be able to work out how to afford it before winter hits..

guilliame
08-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Connie,Lorna,Barbara and Cori and to everyone else who drops in :wave:
Connie,love those 3 cat drawings,and i recognize a lot of the others from previous WDE's :clap: like i said a couple of weeks ago,your on a roll,go make hay while the sun shines :D btw i did some more to Rowdy & Dagmars wde pic.
Lorna and Cori,i hope you all enjoy your camping trip,thanks for the photo's, i can only wonder about that scenery :envy:
Barbara,enjoy your trip next month too.
Well feeling slightly better today,at least the shivering and sneezing has eased,throat is still a bit sore and my ribs ache from coughing,sprinkled some Olbas Oil on my hanky and pillow so breathing and sleeping is easier too.
My thanks to all the well wishers out there,with all there remedies :) i have plenty of honey but only normal vinegar so not knowing the qauntities of each i didn't take it,also it is B/H today and 99% of the shops are closed so i couldn't buy the other vinegar or the chilli peppers :D so i'm afraid i had to go with the hot toddies,no rum tho,just a wee dram or two of whisky with my hot milk
Christine i guess i can buy that echinea from the health shops that sell cod liver oil capsules and vitimin pills,as long as there is no taste,this stems back to when i was a wee toddler and not feeling very well and being a trusty little soul i thought Mum wouldn't give me any thing bad and it will make me feel better so i swallowed the whole desert spoon of milk of magnesia,yuk,it was the most foulest and bitterest thing i have ever tasted,ever since then i run a mile if anyone offers me medicine :D.
TTFN ETC

lorna12
08-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Hi:wave:

Guilli...glad to hear you are feeling a little better. Hehehe, had to laugh at all the remedies....ask a 100 people what to do for a cold and you'll get 100 different answers.:D Truth of the matter...once you have it, my doctor said, it will last about 14 days...with meds it will be about 2 weeks. LOL That's why I suggested the toddies...it won't make you better...you'll just FEEL like you're a little better. Just take care it doesn't get any worse.

Have fun camping Cori!

Not even the end of August yet and already the business of the FCA art group is demanding my attention. If you recall I am now president and truth be told, I'm not looking forward to this season. Mostly because of the demands on my time and the politics behind the scene. Not to mention, it's going to take away some of my time spent here! Drats!! ;):D Oh well...I'll do the best I can...at least I'm getting better about standing and talking before a group of people...not quite so nervous.

I got my hubby to cut me some masonite to fit all my new odd sized frames so I am busy trying to get them all painted. I still have my "feet" scratch to finish as well. So I better get to work! (soon hehehe)

:wave:

khourianya
08-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Awww - I'm sad to hear there's darkness in the backroom of the FCA, Lorna. :( I've been antsy all summer to get back into the swing of things...having hurt myself in June and missing that last meeting before summer really threw me off. I've been working hard at getting my active status application ready to go, but I think I need to do another couple of paintings before I can send it off. I'm hoping to be ready in the next couple of weeks (and then I will express it to them :D )

Today has been dragging by. My boss is off today so I am kinda left treading water...and after 5 hours of treading water - it gets hard to keep amusing yourself...

lorna12
08-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Cori...the jury for the first show is on Sept. 15...if you don't get done on time, the next jury is in Nov. for the next show. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.:)

khourianya
08-29-2005, 06:22 PM
I am going to aim to have it in as soon as possible so I can know if I will even qualify. If I don't, then it will be a moot point :) But the sooner I get it in, then the sooner I can re-apply in a few months.

HRH Goldie
08-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi all, hope you are all heading for a better, more positive week. Guilli - echinacea tablets/capsules have no taste and as a non believer in herbal remedies I believe these do have a positive effect. Lol at the milk of magnesia - cruel mummy - I can tell you that if you mix milk of magnesia with a dash of milk and teaspoon of sugar it really is pleasant and soothing to take. My kids were brought up on it and it is the first thing they ask for to settle a poorly tummy. :wink2:

Talking of kids - Abbie is fifteen tomorrow - yee gads! She still isn't home has gone out with a girlfriend and Richard has just left to pick her up in the car now - Mummy is sitting at home fretting lol. Is this where I start worrying about her now I wonder?!

We were just talking about the funny things kids come out with and wouldn't it be light relief if we all share those funny moments when your kids or other come out with the most bizarre/funny and embarrassing sentences and just knock you for six.
I'll start you off - my friends little girl had not long since started school and was off sick due to a tummy bug. My friend knew nothing more when there was a howl from upstairs and the little girl shouted at the top of her voice "Mammy come quickly...............my bottom is being sick!!!!!!!!!!" I laughed and laughed and it has never left me - we all get embarrassed talking to the docs about our bodily functions but isn't this just the neatest phrase ever to use. Of course she didn't have the correct words to use and I think it was so creative of her. Bless! Now lets hear your little darlings pearls of wisdom - we all could do with the laugh. :wave:

khourianya
08-29-2005, 10:08 PM
That's a cute one :D

I don't have many of those "kid's say the darndest things" stories, but i do have one that shows how a sweet lil girl can go bad...

Maddy, Cam's 4 year old niece, was just about 3 when we graduated from school. We went to her house for a dessert party to celebrate us both graduating with honours and Maddy decided that she wanted me to see something in her room. She took me upstairs and was pointing out the window and muttering something and I was trying to clarify when she looked at me and said clear as a bell "Aunty - I am going to go steal your chair now!" and took off down the stairs. I tore after her and she still beat me to the chair. Lil bugger!

HRH Goldie
08-30-2005, 03:16 AM
Connie - How remiss of me not to comment on your lovely photos and dare I say lovely DH! :wink2: What a brilliant display all of your work makes together - I don't know how anyone would be able to pass by without looking and even purchasing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

connievanwinssen
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for your reactions on my photos.

Lorna, have a very nice campingweekend. Enjoy being with your family

Barbara, was that the last show you had or are there more to come? Do you have to sit there all day and how do you like that?

Cori, do you have a new car yet?

Guilliame, I hope your cold is over by now.

Christine, How is it going with Richard and your car. Do you get to drive nowadays?

My youngest son Rowdy didn't get all his papers approved. But he pleaded with the examcommittee to let him stay at school and they did. He doesn't deserve it, but still I'm glad they decided this. He likes the job of teacher so much and there are so little boys in his school (1 out of 30 pupils is a boy) and I think that was his luck.

TTFN :)

khourianya
08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
No new car, yet. We were going to lease one, but have decided that we would be better off financing. We have to save up a downpayment, though, but it will be so nice to have a new car when the time comes. We are hoping to have it within 4 months...

Flame Lily
08-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Hello lovely people :wave: Have not been able to read through here, so I hope I'm not interrupting :eek: :D

I wanted to let you all know that I may not be around tomorrow or Thursday as we're having Internet connection problems. Moved the computers out of the office to make that into a bedroom for our youngest and in doing so have problems now with Internet set-up, can't get the wireless to work just right. Didn't want anyone to think I've deserted the forum for any further entries for the rest of the week. Hubby has to make some adjustments and probably spend a bit more money to get this working properly :rolleyes: sure hope I'm back for the next WDE!

I had a wonderful time sharing photo's and seeing what everyone did, you're all a great group of people :wave: Thanks for everything, see ya'll soon!

khourianya
08-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Tonight we had a critter night over on VPON and I wanted to share my painting that I did of Abner...It's actually the start of a montage of all of my critters, but I am so happy with him i couldn't wait to post the whole thing...I will once it's done.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/47843-abner.jpg

connievanwinssen
08-31-2005, 02:40 AM
great painting! :)

HRH Goldie
08-31-2005, 04:18 AM
Hi Connie, Richard has DH's car (which he is now calling his!) so DH has mine - so no I am without wheels and it really is a pain - I feel housebound lol. I'm not allowed to travel on public transport as the standing waiting etc is too dangerous for me. Hard to believe I know but nevertheless true.
I went in search for a support group on the internet the other day but there is none. There appears to be one in America though but not much help over here. It sure would be helpful to me to find someone who knew what this illness was like, I guess that is the whole reason for support groups.

I am pleased to hear that your son is able to carry on Connie - it must be a load of your mind and his if the truth be known. These lads often have a lot of bravado and act as if they don't care. Deep down he will. All the best for his new academic year.

Cori - Love Abner - you prolific painter you!

Hi to everyone else hope you have a great day. Abbie spent her birthday yesterday in town spending all of her money that she got for her birthday. Typically she didn't buy anything she went for. Lol! Except for a pair of expensive trainers. This girl has a serious shoe and handbag fetish! So it was no surprise that she walked through the door with a huge box with new black boots in, Lord above white stilletoes and her trainers! Nothing to put on her back though except for some Snoopy pj's!!!!! :eek:
She played a blinder coz now I shall have to take her out at the weekend and get her uniform and school shoes - they didn't even cross her mind! Sheesh teenagers! :p

lorna12
08-31-2005, 04:35 AM
Hehehe...yup, that's Abner! Really nice, Cori! Love the soulful look in his eyes.

Connie...glad your son got to stay....he was lucky they allowed it. I wish him good luck with his studies!

Christine...I meant to ask you to wish Abbie Happy Birthday from me...will you please? And did you really expect her to spend her birthday money on something practical???;):D

khourianya
08-31-2005, 10:59 AM
That painting is from a photo I took of him when we went painting.

lorna12
08-31-2005, 01:24 PM
rofl...that's what it made me think of when I looked at this! You captured his looked perfectly!

lmmilam
09-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Connie.. congratulations on the sales you made! Surely you had the most colorful booth in the show!

Lorna and Cori.. hope you have lots of fun out camping.. and Cori.. great pastel of your Abner!

Guilli.. I feel your milk of magnesia pain.. my mom used to give me Bourbon and honey whenever I coughed.. so I would hide my head under my pillow at night if I started coughing so she wouldn't hear.. yuck! I can still taste that awful stuff!

Chrisine.. come on, now.. did you "really" think Abbie would spend her birthday bucks on back to school shoes and a uniform?? When there were black boots to buy??

Flame Lily.. hope you get your computers back up and running.. I have had to turn the dogs away from their favorite spot under the computer desk because they keep jiggling things until the internet connections no longer connect.. how they manage to interfere with a wireless apparatus I will never know..

I need to ask for a bit of help, as we have what is to me an unusual dilemma.. my husband asked me if our Abby's mother (chocolate lab) could come visit for a little while. I was thinking this would be while the owners went out of town and so I agreed.. only now it seems that she needs to stay on a permanent basis.. so we have aquired another 80 lbs of canine love, and a problem.

You see, my dh loved the mother dog so much, he insisted on naming our pup after her, and we now have *two* dogs named Abby. So when we call Abby, they both come. When we want to scold one dog, the other one feels they are being scolded, too. So.. it seems we need to rename both dogs.. any suggestions? Abby the Labby #1 is black.. totally black.. while Abby the Labby #2 is a dark brown.. or chocolate lab. Here is a picture of the new addition to our family.. but we are at a loss for names..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2005/50143-Abbys_Mom_resized.jpg

Helen
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Lot's to catch up on...
Connie, I love the look of your display with the black background; congrats on the sales :D
Guilli, glad you're feeling better. The remedies you mentioned reminded me of the one my dad fixed for us kids when we had colds.... lemon, whiskey, honey, vinegar.... it was awful! We all got better in a hurry so we wouldn't have to drink it.
Lorna and Cori, have a wonderful time camping. Sounds like you both will for different reasons. Family gatherings are always fun I think.
Cori, nice painting
Christine, of course your daughter wouldn't spend her birthday money on practical. Out of the mouths of babes... Not embarrasing to me, just humourous. As you all know, I'm a water person. Growing up I spent my summer days swimming, boating and waterskiing. My husband's family had a place on a lake too but they didn't spend the time actually on the water as we did. When my son was 4 or 5 my brother, my brother-in-law, my brother's 14 year old daughter and I were all skiing behind my brother's boat. My husband was driving and my son was watching from the boat. When we were done my son said..."You were good Mom, but Shannon (niece) was best because she was the only one who could do it with two skis." Now that he knows how difficult it is to ski on one he's embarrased if I tell that story.
Flame, hope your computer problems go away soon. It's such a hassle.
Immil, My brother, his son and his grandson are all Charles.... the third, fourth and fifth. I call them Three, Four and Five... or how about Uno and Duece.

I missed the wde but started one of them yesterday. I was across the state delivering paintings and visiting my sister. Got back Tuesday, however, yesterday I had to be at my son's all day as a new furnace was being installed and he was back at work getting ready for the students to invade next week. I did manage to get the drawing blocked in and now that my housework and errands are done, I'm off to do some painting.
bbl.

bjcpaints
09-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi all,Thanks for your reactions on my photos.
Barbara, was that the last show you had or are there more to come? Do you have to sit there all day and how do you like that?
TTFN :)

Hi Connie,
Thanks for asking - I have 4 more Saturday shows and a 2 week one at a museum at Christmas time. The Saturday shows I do all by myself so I pretty much have to stay in my booth. I spend the day painting and it usually attracts some attention - especially kids love to watch me paint animals on rocks. The Christmas show for the museum I was asked to do last year - I hope they want me again. :confused: This year I will surprise them with paintings on canvas. Last year I was in a spot next to a very popular local artist - Karen Volkemmer, who does paintings of the racetrack and local scenes. I hope I get that spot again! The museum sells for us - we just have to be there for the Open House evening.
To everyone, It has been hard to think of anything this week in the face of the destruction down south in our country. I thanked God when my head was on my pillow last night that I have a warm, dry, safe place to sleep and asked for His mercy to sooth the suffering of so many that are homeless now. I know aid is pouring in already in many forms but they can't even get to everyone. I think prayers are most needed in this case.
Barbara

lorna12
09-02-2005, 12:41 AM
"To everyone, It has been hard to think of anything this week in the face of the destruction down south in our country. I thanked God when my head was on my pillow last night that I have a warm, dry, safe place to sleep and asked for His mercy to sooth the suffering of so many that are homeless now. I know aid is pouring in already in many forms but they can't even get to everyone. I think prayers are most needed in this case.
Barbara"

Amen to that Barbara...I've been watching it unfold on tv and my heart goes out to them...so sad, all that destruction, homelessness, wondering about loved ones...such a tragedy.:( I've been counting my blessings and feel so fortunate to be where I am, with my loved ones... warm safe and dry. Those folks are definitely in my prayers, too.

stoney
09-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Hi all,
I'm back from my weekend artmarket. It was fun and it was cold.
The first day I sold nothing, but heard that the cows from my signatureline sold in the gallery :clap:
The second day I sold 3 little ones: the cow from last weeks WDE and the rooster and pig I made in the same colours as a triptych.
The last day I sold 3 little ink drawings of little cats and 2 hours before closing time I sold a big one with yellow tulips (second photo on the left).
So at the last minute my loss turned into profit.
At home everything had gone fine, except the house is a total mess, so I don't know if I can manage a WDE entry.
Next weekend we have our annual familyweekend (about 60 people) from my husbands side. (He comes from a family with 13 children)
Here are some photos.

The cat drawings I sold

Have a great week everybody!

WHEW!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

stoney
09-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Way to go Connie...Congrats on the sales! I love those kitty cats! Is that your hubby?? It makes all the work worth while and you also feel appreciated as an artist when your paintings sell, doesn't it?

We are also planning a big gathering next weekend...but we are all going camping. I think there will be about 20 of us...nothing near the size of your gathering, Connie. But all my kids and grandkids (including the newest babe) plus a few other relatives will be there, so I'm really looking forward to it. It's our (Canada's) Labour Day holiday weekend. Gosh where did the summer go??? It will, in all likelyhood, be our last camping trip of the year.:(

More later...I'm off to bed...nite:) :wave:

Haven't had time to go camping this year. Maybe this weekend.
BTW, there's more on 'shriek' (Burnis Tree).

stoney
09-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi:wave:

Guilli...glad to hear you are feeling a little better. Hehehe, had to laugh at all the remedies....ask a 100 people what to do for a cold and you'll get 100 different answers.:D Truth of the matter...once you have it, my doctor said, it will last about 14 days...with meds it will be about 2 weeks. LOL That's why I suggested the toddies...it won't make you better...you'll just FEEL like you're a little better. Just take care it doesn't get any worse.

Have fun camping Cori!

Not even the end of August yet and already the business of the FCA art group is demanding my attention. If you recall I am now president and truth be told, I'm not looking forward to this season. Mostly because of the demands on my time and the politics behind the scene.

PAH! A ruddy pox on politics. What rubbish. Silly time wasting games.

Not to mention, it's going to take away some of my time spent here! Drats!! ;):D Oh well...I'll do the best I can...at least I'm getting better about standing and talking before a group of people...not quite so nervous.

I got my hubby to cut me some masonite to fit all my new odd sized frames so I am busy trying to get them all painted. I still have my "feet" scratch to finish as well. So I better get to work! (soon hehehe)

:wave:

stoney
09-02-2005, 01:05 AM
"Mammy come quickly...............my bottom is being sick!!!!!!!!!!" I laughed and laughed and it has never left me - we all get embarrassed talking to the docs about our bodily functions but isn't this just the neatest phrase ever to use. Of course she didn't have the correct words to use and I think it was so creative of her. Bless! Now lets hear your little darlings pearls of wisdom - we all could do with the laugh. :wave:

Concerning oldest daughter many years ago. I heard about it after spending all day wrenching on electronic black boxes and Phantom fighter Jets. Evidentally, mom was tired and slurred her words. Daughter said reprovingly, "Mommy, annunciate."

{Thud-got knocked over by a feather}

stoney
09-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Tonight we had a critter night over on VPON and I wanted to share my painting that I did of Abner...It's actually the start of a montage of all of my critters, but I am so happy with him i couldn't wait to post the whole thing...I will once it's done.

/Abner
No no no, I really didn't score this nice fresh bloody hunk of meat from the counter. :evil: :wink2:

stoney
09-02-2005, 01:16 AM
'Shriek' has been updated and is, along with 'Waterfall', at the N. Calif. fair.
'Shriek' isn't done yet as the additions were electronically sketched out Tuesday night and painted in last night. It was framed this morning. I doubt a casual looker will note its incomplete. I'll get them both back in about ten days.

Shots are not framed and framed. Frame with glass and mat (which was modified this morning) cost about $2.50 USD.

With my fine motor control being anything but in control, I hope I didn't destroy it.

connievanwinssen
09-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Nice one, Pat!

Barbara, I hope your shows go really well!

Well, my daughter has left my house again. We had a row when I objected when she went to bed in the afternoon, because we agreed she wouldn't do that (because she tends to change her day/ night rhythm.) Being a borderliner that was enough to get her packing. She is staying with her ex boyfriend again (who was coming anyway to collect her dog, for she was going with us to the familyweekend). well , not anymore.
It's such a shame, for she didn't have any urge to have blowouts and then vomit, when she was with us, she smoked half the amount she did before, she ate regularly, got a normal day/night rhythm. I'm very much afraid she will fall back into a depression again.
I'm off (reluctantly) to the familyweekend now. :(

Have a nice weekend and enjoy the WDE :)

HRH Goldie
09-02-2005, 03:43 AM
Just thought I would come and say that I didn't expect Abbie to buy school uniform with her birthday money, but if she saw trousers etc to get them and I'd give her the money when she got back. She was wanting/needing jeans and stuff - you know girls wear, She needed mores shoes/boots like a hole in the head. She has so many all ready we could open a shoe shop so I have no idea even where she is going to keep them! :eek:

Linda - A dliemma on names. Well I know it is relatively easy for dogs to get used to you calling them a different name and they don't go through an identity crisis. Our dogs all have ended up with nicknames and answer to them also. Amber who is the only dog we have left now also answers to "Slops" and "Pinkie"! Pinkie only came about recently when DH had washed the carpet and she decided to go to sleep on the wet pile.When she got up she was you guessed it pink! We have bathed her and she still is pink so we are going to have to wait until she casts. It is embarrasing to say the least to be seen out with a pink Golden Retriever lol.
When you have the attention of one dog, call it and give a reward but when you call tag the new name straight after you have said the name they answer too. After a while you can then drop the original name and you should find that they will still respond. It does really work, but I don't know that me writing it down that it sounds pretty silly - :wink2:

My prayers and thoughts go out to all of those poor people in New Orleans. I was wondering what sort of news coverage it was getting over in America. I wondered if by any chance they were reporting it differently. I can tell you that over here they are reporting that aid hasn't reached the survivors and things are turning violent - the footage they are showing seems to bear that out. Mr Bush is getting slammed for not responding quickly enough and that things are getting out of control. Therefore I wondered if these images are being shown in America because I am sure the place would be furious if they did? It would be really interesting to hear your take on the news coverage.
Anyway have to go now/ will check back later.
:wave: everyone.

HRH Goldie
09-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Great work Pat! :clap: :clap: :clap: Best of luck with it.

Connie we cross posted - so sorry to hear that you are going away for your weekend with a heavy heart. I guess you can't force her to go with you. I hope that she realises where she is best off but I know they are the last to realise/admit that.
I shall be thinking about you - try and enjoy your weekend. :wave:

bjcpaints
09-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi - Thought I should at least try and be more social - such a depressing week.
Christine - I think the coverage is virtually the same here - we are so global nowadays. I can't watch too much anymore - I just keep crying. Don't know why this has hit me so hard - I have never even had any fondness for the south - I am such a Yankee. I think its the faces of the children and babies and old people.
To change the subject completely - white stiletto shoes? how high and where will she wear them? LOL Just curious as I have a bit of a shoe fetish myself - but mine are of the comfortable variety. I just broke down and got one of the long shoe storage bags to hang in the closet. I kept them in a large basket before but the puppy got to them and so the basket has been up on a shelf that I need for other things for at least 6 months now.
Cori, Your painting of Abner is wonderful - I love the colors! You should post that in the animal forum!
Hi Pat, Congrats on your display at the fair! Shriek is looking good!
Connie, Sorry she has left (your daughter), but don't be surprised if she comes back and perhaps sooner than you think. I will keep her in my prayers. You have reminded me what a burden I was to my parents as a teen - a troubled one.
Hi Helen, I did a fair amount of waterskiing in my 20s - you reminded me how much fun it was. I even got in some tournaments - jumping, tricks and slalom! Those were the days - I don't think I could do it now - I was always crashing and injuring myself and my hips will never be the same!
Linda, Why not call Abby the younger, Blacky? I think it will be easier to change the younger dog's name. Christine's advice is good too - best wishes. You are an animal lover like me! Got "sucker" written right across my forhead - LOL!
Well, It does feel good to talk about some happier things so I will leave it at that. See you all at the WDE!
Barbara

stoney
09-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Nice one, Pat!

Thank you. I'm not feeling so nervous about it now.

Barbara, I hope your shows go really well!

Well, my daughter has left my house again. We had a row when I objected when she went to bed in the afternoon, because we agreed she wouldn't do that (because she tends to change her day/ night rhythm.) Being a borderliner that was enough to get her packing. She is staying with her ex boyfriend again (who was coming anyway to collect her dog, for she was going with us to the familyweekend). well , not anymore.
It's such a shame, for she didn't have any urge to have blowouts and then vomit, when she was with us, she smoked half the amount she did before, she ate regularly, got a normal day/night rhythm. I'm very much afraid she will fall back into a depression again.
I'm off (reluctantly) to the familyweekend now. :(

Have a nice weekend and enjoy the WDE :)

[wince] Sympathy.

stoney
09-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Just thought I would come and say that I didn't expect Abbie to buy school uniform with her birthday money, but if she saw trousers etc to get them and I'd give her the money when she got back. She was wanting/needing jeans and stuff - you know girls wear, She needed mores shoes/boots like a hole in the head. She has so many all ready we could open a shoe shop so I have no idea even where she is going to keep them! :eek:

LOL.

[QUOTE=HRH Goldie

My prayers and thoughts go out to all of those poor people in New Orleans. I was wondering what sort of news coverage it was getting over in America. I wondered if by any chance they were reporting it differently. I can tell you that over here they are reporting that aid hasn't reached the survivors and things are turning violent - the footage they are showing seems to bear that out. Mr Bush is getting slammed for not responding quickly enough and that things are getting out of control. Therefore I wondered if these images are being shown in America because I am sure the place would be furious if they did? It would be really interesting to hear your take on the news coverage.
Anyway have to go now/ will check back later.
:wave: everyone.[/QUOTE]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612/

Convoy greeted with applause and anger
As supplies arrive in New Orleans, mayor warns thousands could die
/end

First, its a nasty situation throughout some 90,000 square miles of the Gulf Coast. It's a command and control and logistics nightmare. I'm sure thousands are dead and thousands more will die. The neatest trick of all is to know then what you know now. Bureaucracy is slow and inefficient at its fastest. Orders and directives must be cut and travel through the various levels until it reaches the people that make it happen. There can never be, or will be, enough to be able to respond to such wide-spread devastation.

Things are going to get much much worse. Another person indicated; "This is the [US'] Tsunami." They're right. This is much more than any country can handle on its own. Fortunately, with the efficient world-wide communications network the whole globe knows and is mobilizing to lend what assistance they can. Common humanity. Still, that all takes time. For all too many people they will run out of time before that aid arrives.

In the past, it might take months or years for information to spread around the world. In either case, much too late for any response to make a difference.

Secondly, flip side, the devastation and death is all the heart of the Bible (or Babble) Belt where myraid folks commonly natter about; an Omni 'God,' 'Jesus', 'Divine Plan,' "God's Will," 'Jesus Saves' and the rest of the stuff. Factor that and the statments "Everything God does is good" along with this direct quote:

1 Thessalonians 5 (KJV)

16 Rejoice evermore.

17 Pray without ceasing.

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God
in Christ Jesus concerning you.
/end quotes

And they're not following directions.

I've noticed many Christians, through the course of years, who have no problem with devastation, Noah's Flood (which didn't happen among with myraid other things), atrocities, rape, genocide, torture, eternal torture, and the like as long as they happen to someone *else.* They don't think that to all these other people *they* are that someone *else.*

Based on Christianity, what happened and is happening, and will happen to them is 'good.' The Bible says so.
Note: An omni character has no need to 'test.'

Both I and reality disagree with that putrid bronze-age tome called The BibleŽ, but neither make a difference to myraid Christians. [shrug]

silverflagon
09-02-2005, 07:45 PM
It's terrible whats happened to NO. Even though I don't have a tv, nor any interest in having one.
I still see the devastation on my parents tv and in newspapers. I do hope that food and clean water gets to them soon and some law and order as well!

We might complain about it sometimes but it is needed. Do they shoot looters during a national emergency any more?

Connie, I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has walked out! I hope that she comes round soon, but why not try getting her boyfriend on your side, or is that impossible?
*Hugs!* It's been 12 since my son was at that stage, he was very difficult:( But he's grown out of it, I hope she grows out of it soon Connie.

I've worked on a late WDE of that sprinkbok, it's not finished yet, but after scanning in my cafe scene I did some more to it. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2005/44191-springbok600.jpg
Somhow after giving the neck a good curve, I managed to go and lose it, but it's been corrected since.

ottwork
09-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Yikes, Stoney. Have you ever heard the phrase "kick 'em while they are down?" These poor folks have lost everything, have been traumatized beyond compare and you take it as an opportunity to slam their religion? I find that very disheartening. Perhaps, as you are evidently not a praying man, you could find something constructive to do instead, like donate something to the Red Cross - which is an irreligious organization.

stoney
09-03-2005, 12:51 AM
It's terrible whats happened to NO. Even though I don't have a tv, nor any interest in having one.
I still see the devastation on my parents tv and in newspapers. I do hope that food and clean water gets to them soon and some law and order as well!

We might complain about it sometimes but it is needed. Do they shoot looters during a national emergency any more?

Convoys of supplies are rolling in and flights out are occurring on the one runway reopened. Cities all over the country are accepting refugees. You can read news articles and see pics of the devastation of the Gulf Coast via the 'net.

As to shooting looters, it sounds like that will be occurring if there's resistance to battle hardened active duty troops now arriving.

Supplies and assistance is arriving throughout the devastated coastline. Such takes time.

Connie, I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has walked out! I hope that she comes round soon, but why not try getting her boyfriend on your side, or is that impossible?
*Hugs!* It's been 12 since my son was at that stage, he was very difficult:( But he's grown out of it, I hope she grows out of it soon Connie.

I've worked on a late WDE of that sprinkbok, it's not finished yet, but after scanning in my cafe scene I did some more to it.
Somhow after giving the neck a good curve, I managed to go and lose it, but it's been corrected since.

Looks like its going well. :)

stoney
09-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Yikes, Stoney. Have you ever heard the phrase "kick 'em while they are down?" These poor folks have lost everything, have been traumatized beyond compare and you take it as an opportunity to slam their religion?

Read it again. I didn't slam their religion. I worked within the teachings of the religion. Don't blame me for what is involved with Christianity and the Bible. I didn't write the tome.

1 Thessalonians 5 (KJV)

16 Rejoice evermore.

17 Pray without ceasing.

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God
in Christ Jesus concerning you.

I find that very disheartening. Perhaps, as you are evidently not a praying man, you could find something constructive to do instead, like donate something to the Red Cross - which is an irreligious organization.

I see that working within the precepts and teachings of the Christian religion is something you find distasteful. You might consider why that is.

As to 'doing things constructive' (red herring on your part) I have done and do quite a bit of it-when I can. Such isn't (obviously) done for some heavenly 'brownie points' either-unlike myraid Christians (I'm not indicating you)

silverflagon
09-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Thank you Stoney, and yours is looking good as well, if a little dark for my taste.

I think I will leave religion well alone. It's an act of nature, and I think we should act to save ourselves and others in these circumstances and leave peoples personal lives alone.

Helen
09-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Connie, so sorry about your daughter. Stoney, many of us here in the US have learned that the news is very often not accurate or only reporting the bad news even when there is only a small fraction of it. As for the comments on religion... I won't go there. But the artwork... I like everything I've seen here.

stoney
09-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Thank you Stoney, and yours is looking good as well, if a little dark for my taste.

I think I will leave religion well alone. It's an act of nature, and I think we should act to save ourselves and others in these circumstances and leave peoples personal lives alone.

Thank you. The avenue taken on 'Shriek' was generated by the bush on the left and the 'reaction' of the focal tree. For something lighter you might check out 'Waterfall." http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274194

I agree hurricanes, firestorms, earthquakes, tsunamis, and the like have nothing to do with anyone's mythology.

stoney
09-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Connie, so sorry about your daughter. Stoney, many of us here in the US have learned that the news is very often not accurate or only reporting the bad news even when there is only a small fraction of it. As for the comments on religion... I won't go there. But the artwork... I like everything I've seen here.

I know the news isn't often accurate and reporting the bad news even when there's only a fraction of it. Bad news, unfortunately, is what sells newspapers (and other things) rather than good.

Thank you for the feedback. Doing too much on 'Shriek' was a hefty concern.

ottwork
09-03-2005, 01:36 PM

Well said, Steph. That really was my point, but I'm afraid I allowed my consternation to cloud my words.

I ask everyone's forgiveness. I live fairly close to the region affected and have both friends and family members who have had to deal with the situation up close and personally. It really is overwhelming and seemingly impossible. Two very dear friends were evacuated safely from New Orleans, but their home and everything in it is believed to be gone, as are their places of employment. They have nothing left, except each other.

The people affected are real people...not just "Christians" or "Southerners", but people from every walk of life, every faith, every ethnicity. Please don't do them the disservice of forgetting that they are human beings, just like we are, and that they are hurting.

Charlie's Mum
09-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone :wave: :wave:

Sorry to have been missing this week - just read through all the posts to try to catch up.
Not surprising about what should dominate a large part of the thread - and cause comment.
I'm not going there either - but I feel for all and anyone affected by the disaster.

I also feel for those members of our 'family' here in Weeders who are facing problems and continue to think and pray for you.

I could do with some good news myself! I seem to be surrounded with unfortunate happenings in our circle of friends just now - it can get depressing!

After Derek's, (my painter friend) funeral on Thursday, I went for lunch with a group of former colleagues (but also friends) to find one missing having been in a car crash and had the car written off ....... fortunately, the air bag worked and she's OK.
Also on Thursday, Anne (brain tumours) collapsed in the shower ....... her blood pressure plummeted, but again, she fortunately has recovered from that ...... it's worrying though.
Today, Derek's widow collapsed at the bus stop and was taken to hospital - don't know anything further yet.

Interspersed with the black side of life have been some funny e-mails from friends ....... we all need a giggle! :D

We've been cutting back lots on the conifers and bushes - huge piles of stuff - but today we shredded it into compostible size and it's now starting to put something back into the ground (well, eventually!) Very satisfying!
Still loads of cutting back to do though :eek: :D

We collected all my work last Monday from the Exhibition - no sales, but that wasn't surprising (at 600 entries, getting anything hung at eye level was a minor miracle!). When I first exhibited with that particular church, there were only a couple of hundred paintings entered - and it's a small room too - don't think I'll bother again with them.
Another in November to consider, but that venue is much closer to home so should be easier.

Too late now for my WDE, so I'll do it tomorrow ........ unless others have something else in mind! ....... visitors arriving unexpectedly tend to halt work for the day!

Now I've burdened you with my depressing tale of woe - I'll go! :wink2:

BTW - nice animal paintings here :D

I'll cheer myself with looking at some work here :wink2: :)

BFN :wave:

silverflagon
09-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi everyone :wave: :wave:

Sorry to have been missing this week - just read through all the posts to try to catch up.
Not surprising about what should dominate a large part of the thread - and cause comment.
I'm not going there either - but I feel for all and anyone affected by the disaster.

I also feel for those members of our 'family' here in Weeders who are facing problems and continue to think and pray for you.

I could do with some good news myself! I seem to be surrounded with unfortunate happenings in our circle of friends just now - it can get depressing!

After Derek's, (my painter friend) funeral on Thursday, I went for lunch with a group of former colleagues (but also friends) to find one missing having been in a car crash and had the car written off ....... fortunately, the air bag worked and she's OK.
Also on Thursday, Anne (brain tumours) collapsed in the shower ....... her blood pressure plummeted, but again, she fortunately has recovered from that ...... it's worrying though.
Today, Derek's widow collapsed at the bus stop and was taken to hospital - don't know anything further yet.

Interspersed with the black side of life have been some funny e-mails from friends ....... we all need a giggle! :D

We've been cutting back lots on the conifers and bushes - huge piles of stuff - but today we shredded it into compostible size and it's now starting to put something back into the ground (well, eventually!) Very satisfying!
Still loads of cutting back to do though :eek: :D

We collected all my work last Monday from the Exhibition - no sales, but that wasn't surprising (at 600 entries, getting anything hung at eye level was a minor miracle!). When I first exhibited with that particular church, there were only a couple of hundred paintings entered - and it's a small room too - don't think I'll bother again with them.
Another in November to consider, but that venue is much closer to home so should be easier.

Too late now for my WDE, so I'll do it tomorrow ........ unless others have something else in mind! ....... visitors arriving unexpectedly tend to halt work for the day!

Now I've burdened you with my depressing tale of woe - I'll go! :wink2:

BTW - nice animal paintings here :D

I'll cheer myself with looking at some work here :wink2: :)

BFN :wave:

I hope you have some better news soon Maureen, that sound like it's been a rough week for you. *Hugs!*

Well said, Steph. That really was my point, but I'm afraid I allowed my consternation to cloud my words.

I ask everyone's forgiveness. I live fairly close to the region affected and have both friends and family members who have had to deal with the situation up close and personally. It really is overwhelming and seemingly impossible. Two very dear friends were evacuated safely from New Orleans, but their home and everything in it is believed to be gone, as are their places of employment. They have nothing left, except each other.

The people affected are real people...not just "Christians" or "Southerners", but people from every walk of life, every faith, every ethnicity. Please don't do them the disservice of forgetting that they are human beings, just like we are, and that they are hurting.

Very true Diahn, and I bet that they aren't all of one faith either.

At least your friends are alive and have eachother, and a possible future to rebuild, do try to look on the bright side. *Extra big Hugs!*

I have an internet friend who lives in NO, and I found out yesterday that she was ok if a very shocked, and another who lives near Birmingham but they only got the wind! Only! :eek: That was bad enough from what I heard but the flood of NO has overshadowed that destruction, and they also need help! :(

Helen
09-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Oh my Maureen, I am so sorry you are having such sad news.... hope things get better soon.

bjcpaints
09-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi to all - I just stopped in to look at the WDEs as I did not have time yesterday after posting mine. It feels funny to be writing from home on a Monday morning - Labor Day here. I am glad to see the give and take of comments and know that we will all open our hearts to each other no matter our religions, etc. Big hugs to all my friends here!
I have much to be grateful for.
Barbara

weckster
09-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Helloooooo everyone.
Sorry I have been so remiss in posting etc... I have been keeping an eye on WDEs and on the weekly - watched as HRH went through illness (Hi Goldie!) and all other problems.

I AM remiss, as I have only been kept by work.

I sometimes wonder about life and fate. Good luck and bad luck is not evenly distributed. I meet people all the time whose lives are ridden with awful events. And my life is always good. I know that they have my fair share of the bad luck and I have their fair share of my bad luck. I know one day things might change, but if I look at my life at all, I am truly blessed.

So work is no excuse to ignore you all!!!!

So Connie - I hope your daughter gets back on a more even keel sooner rather than later. Borderline personalities are hard to deal with, but especially when you are their mum, and you want the best for them.

Maureen, sorry to hear about Derek. I hope his funeral was a celebration of his life as much as mourning for his loss. (BTW - I don't want ANY comments regarding the tragedy that is the Australian cricket team :evil:)

HRH - mate....you must be in bad way if public transport is too dangerous! I hope the bowel is improving (sorry, it's the doctor in me...I can talk about all kind of gory things any time...it slips out :p )

Lorna - don't you hate the behind the scenes politics of things!! EEK! If only people could behave like ADULTS

Stoney - I hope you are as well as you can be at the moment...I have been keeping an eye on your drawings etc. I appreciated your comments re: the hurricane. Awful occurrence. But as we say in OZ s*#@! happens and God (Mother nature/fate/etc) just does it to prove its bigger than we are. We have an arrogant way of forgetting this :evil:

And all who I have said hello to....Guilly, C.., Helen....everyone....oh, my mind is blank...sorry.

I may end up in the USA for 3 months (perhaps a year) next year. Miami of all places!!!

Lovely to write again...I should get back to all this.