PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use A Mac Or A Pc?

Shari
08-29-2005, 01:57 AM
I am ready to buy a new computer, mine is very old. I have always used PC's and have never used a Mac, but most of my artist friends use Mac. I am trying to decide which way to go. I already own photoshop and illustrator for the PC and I really don't want to buy all new software. Is a Mac so much better? I would like to know who uses which and why. Also, I am thinking of getting a laptop so I can be portable. Besides using my computer for manipulating my photos before painting, I use the computer for music files and writing. Please help.

Shari

khourianya
08-29-2005, 02:08 AM
I own both - a Mac desktop and a PC laptop. and have uses for both...

As a graphic designer I do prefer my Mac as I find it handles large graphic files better. :D I find that the programs are just smoother for mac and because I learned them on the Mac in school, i am accustommed to the shortcuts. I also found that if I design a website to work on a mac, most times it will display the same on PC, while designing on a PC can often run you into many more issues when viewing it on the Mac. If you plan to use a computer to write music - mac is the way to go. my boyfriend is a sound engineer and electronic music composer and has sworn by macs for the past 6 years.

I use my PC for writing and cross-platform testing. I don't like Microsoft Office for the Mac as they made many changes when they ported the programs to the mac platform and as a former trainer of these programs, I have learned to prefer the PC version. Since most of the things i would ask for portability in are writing-based, that is why I selected a laptop.

As for already having the programs for PC, you should check with Adobe and see if they would support an upgrade from the PC version to the Mac version. because you already purchased the programs, they might be willing to do this. Particularly since they sport the best upgrade program in the graphics industry (you can upgrade to the most current version of the Adobe products from any version - meaning you can upgrade right to PS CS2 from PS 1 if you want)

Khadres
08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm a confirmed PC user, mostly because when I started with computers, it was much cheaper and easier to equip a home built pc than it was to purchase a ready made Mac and I liked the idea of freeware and shareware, which at the time, was virtually unavailable for the Mac. I just generally like the idea of PCs being so much less proprietary...I can mix and match brands of hardware, swap stuff out, etc. and the parts are not only cheaper, but just as reliable. As for graphics...the PC has come a long way since the mid 90s and I think if you have a decent video card, you can do most anything with a PC now that you can do with a Mac.

As far as desktop vs. laptop...I really do enjoy having a pc laptop down in the studio area here. It's portable and requires so much less desk space than a traditional setup. I did buy a turnkey laptop which has plenty of power and storage and it was quite inexpensive, really. Well worth the investment.

Shari
08-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the great information. This is a difficult decision for me, so I will keep listening before I decide. I don't write music, but I have a huge music library for my ipod so I need a really big hard drive, but I don't see any reason to switch to Mac just for that. Why are Macs impervious to viruses whereas PC's are attacked all the time?

Shari

Khadres
08-29-2005, 11:59 AM
I think the virus thing is mainly a problem with Windows, not just the pc itself. Why they can't plug the holes in Windows to stop these things is beyond me, but....there ya are. I just keep my subscription to McAfee up to date and have not had any viral problems yet.

As for large hard drives, you can buy yourself massive ones for a few bucks these days...ones big enough to hold more music that you can even imagine...most new turnkey systems have fairly large drives included and you could easily add an extra one just for music if you liked.

khourianya
08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
ahh - yes, the virus thing. Here are the reasons, as far as Cam and I have pinpointed...

1) People don't hate Mac the way they hate windows.

2) Viruses are written to target weaknesses in windows and cause maxiumum damage. Since something like 80% of computer users are using Windows, the viruses have the most potential for damage there

3) On that same note - because there are fewer mac users, it is not worth the virus creators time to target them because they won't do the most damage

4) Apples OS is built much better and doesn't have the same buggy vulnerabilities as Windows does

Tich
08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
This is great because besides knowing the basics of the printing and web designing businesses liking Mac, I know little else and I've often wondered what advantages I may be missing out on. I am thinking of getting my grandson a Mac because he is just getting interested in writing music and I can't find something equivelent to 'Garage Band" for PC but will he appreciate being the only Mac user amonst his young friends?

Ta Ta Tich

Laura Shelley
08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
I've used both at home and at work, but for some time now we've been a PC household. The main reason is the customizability of PCs and the lower price of their components. My husband does some tinkering with the hardware himself and he's much more familiar with non-Macs. He likes to order components and cards and memory by mail.

I use a lot of graphics software, and I have always preferred the multiple mouse buttons! I used a one-button mouse for drawing years ago, and it wasn't fun. Many years ago it seemed that Macs didn't crash as often, but my father-in-law's current Mac freezes up every ten minutes or so, requiring a complete reboot. Yes, it has the latest operating system installed. So I'm a little biased. :)

I certainly wouldn't switch just because the Mac still markets itself as the "artist's choice". Once it might have had an advantage, but that was a long time ago--PCs have more than caught up, IMO. If you already have your software, that's probably the determining factor. A computer is for running the programs that you want to use!

Laura

Bringer
08-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi,

Just a small tip : a Mac is a PC. Only not IBM compatible :-)
Pitty the Amiga ended.

Regards,

Josť

Trilby
08-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Microsoft apparently is on the verge of releasing a new operating system that addresses the problems windows has had and resembles the Mac OS. you might want to read a couple of computer magazines and check up on this before deciding.
TJ

Laura Shelley
08-29-2005, 05:22 PM
It's been years since I even heard the name "Amiga"--I used to have one at work. Wow, 32 colors! Believe me, it was an improvement over the systems immediately preceding it, especially for artwork. Anyone remember the Amiga Toaster? We artists have it amazingly easy now with computers. I think I would have passed out if I had gotten a glimpse into the present from about 1990; I was still working in CGA sometimes. Black, white, cyan and magenta--isn't that your dream color scheme for just about anything? :)

It's also been years since I heard anyone call an IBM-compatible machine anything but a PC. :) "Mac vs. IBM-compatible" just doesn't have the same ring for headline writers.

I have my doubts about this new Microsoft OS...but if they have finally gained a clue about stabilizing the system and locking the back doors before adding new features, that's good. So far, Windows XP has behaved very well for me, but I keep my firewalls up and my virus software current. I'm not happy about the necessity of doing that!

Laura

khourianya
08-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi,

Just a small tip : a Mac is a PC. Only not IBM compatible :-)
Pitty the Amiga ended.

Regards,

Josť

Thank you, Jose. You are absolutely right. So often we are caught up in the battle we forget that. We should really be discussing Operating Systems :D

Shari
08-29-2005, 07:55 PM
This is certainly an enlightening conversation. So far I am leaning toward staying with the PC since I have Illustrator and Photoshop already and know how to use them on a PC. AND, I have the Artworks basic which is only for PC. I don't like having to spend so much time protecting my machine from viruses but that is, so far, the only real drawback as I can see. This has been very helpful. If I were richer, I would simply buy a powermac and have both!

Shari

Bringer
08-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi Shari,

You are not seeing things straight.
If you were rich you'd buy a Silicon Graphics Station or a Deep Blue :-)

Regards,

Josť

Shari
08-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Hi Shari,

You are not seeing things straight.
If you were rich you'd buy a Silicon Graphics Station or a Deep Blue :-)

Regards,

Josť

What is Deep Blue? I don't know anything about the Silicon Graphics, this is something to do with Digital IT?

Shari

Bringer
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi again,

Deep Blue is an IBM's super computer and Silicon Graphics are used for CGI, like Toy Story, Schrek and so on.

Best regards,

Josť