PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard Lady with Watercolor-xposted

Obedec
08-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Here's my latest WIP (really I have about four going but we won't discuss not finishing projects, will we :wink2: )...it's a friend's mixed breed and she's being done on a 5 x 7 ampersand black clayboard and I'm coloring, or basically shading her in with watercolor, because she is an elderly black dog. I used my favorite tool, a #11 exacto knife upside down, i.e., just the point) but think I'll be going back in with one of my dental tools because there is not enough definition to make me happy at this point.
Karen

Mary Woodul
08-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Karen, I think you are doing tremendously well with this. The hair is so realistic.

Obedec
08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks, for an initial scratch it's OK...wait till you see the finished project. Then I've got to finish the rose because it's going to be the cover of a card for a wedding.
Karen

valchina612
08-29-2005, 11:06 AM
This is looking great Karen. You have some lovely strokes for the fur. Looking very forward to seeing your Rose when it is finished. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Obedec
08-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Here she is, finished....she's 5x7 (inches) black ampersand clayboard with both watercolor (eyes) and inks. I used a #11 exacto knife and a dental pick when I didn't feel I was getting enough detail (right Bob). Anyway, I don't know if the green is showing up on other computers, it must be the reflections outside because there is no green on the actual picture. I'm very pleased but would appreciate anything new eyes see that I could improve. I am going to finish the rose next (tomorrow) and tonight start another picture...either some flamingos or floats. I was just juried into a very large art show in the area. I'll find out how I did on October 1st at the reception and it will be on display for a month at the big gallery. I'm not excited! I'm not excited! I'm not excited!
Karen

myorca
09-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi Karen!!

Another nice job!! Something that stands out to me are the areas on the (our) left ear and left side nose where the color has been added. It looks blotchy and makes the fur lose focus. Perhaps scratching over the color a little to bring out the hairs again may take care of it. Clearcoating may also take care of it as well...but I am not sure.

I bet you are EXCITED about the upcoming show!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!! I am pulling for ya!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Obedec
09-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks Bob!
Yes, I see what you mean. I've been focused on the (my right) eye and am going to tweak that today, and you're definitely right...I've got a full day today with natural light so I'm going to use it while I have it.

I found a cat picture in the references last night and started that, almost the same pose...I've been dying to try cat eyes.

Happy Days
Karen