PDA

View Full Version : Need another set of eyes please!

tuckerbird
08-28-2005, 02:21 PM
There is a Miniature Art show in our area in October, and my watercolor instructor wanted me to enter something. This is my first attempt at a rose, and it probably wasn't a smart idea to try this. I've been working on this WAAAY to long and need a fresh set of eyes. Any comments or suggestions for changes before I show it to my instructor would be greatly appreciated.

The size is 3 1/5" X 5", Arches cp paper, daVinci paints. The reference is from WC, but I'm sorry I didn't make note of whose photo it was. Thanks to the photographer for the great photo! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2005/21179-RosesDoneWEB.jpg

bluegenes
08-28-2005, 02:49 PM
This is just beautiful! The only thing I can suggest is to put a bit of the rose colour in the background, and maybe a bit of the background colour in the rose, to tie them together.
But even if you keep it as is, it's just lovely!
:clap:
Patty

painterbear
08-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Great suggestion from Patty.

The rose is nicely painted, you just need to tye the two parts together.

Sylvia

Celeste McCall
08-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Looks great to me. Good suggestions above.

Clappies and smiles to you.

charlie154
08-28-2005, 03:43 PM
A gorgeous rose! Nicely done, fresh and not overworked. I'd never know you had worked on it for long. Good luck!

Marilyn

JustjoGA
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
I think it is perfectly beautiful as is. I have never
understood why putting color of one element into
another helps...

Jo in Georgia

Lynn Quinn
08-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Very, very nice!

laudesan
08-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Your rose is absolutely beautiful!! So delicate and the shadows are just perfect..

There is so little background showing, I personally wouldn't worry about adding the rose colour to it.

I have no idea how you would add the background colour to the rose as suggested tho'???

Gosh don't touch it as yet, show your art teacher first..

juneto
08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
It is really Beautiful. What I see is a need for more balance . You need more of the Green ,Bottom left to balance the top Green . Not as large and a differet shape . I think that would tie it together . Tear a bit of paper and paint it green , See how it actually looks on the Paper. I think you could cut into the petal without any harm to it.
Good Luck
June

jaydiva
08-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Your rose is absolutely lovely!! Beautiful darks and a very rose-like pink !!

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

Alachua Artist
08-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Hello Tuckerbird! Your rose is lovely - but that's it. There's nothing to make it stand out among other lovely roses. There needs to be something - a hint of dew, a strong light source, something that will set this apart from other rose paintings.

The size is wonderful, and the way it's closely cropped it perfect. It just needs a little something to make it a real winner.

Fairy
08-29-2005, 11:57 AM
What a beauty! It's just perfect, Tuckerbird!!! :)

tuckerbird
08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comments. Since this was my first attempt at a rose, I will probably try it again and will incorporate some of your wonderful suggestions.

Ottersong
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
On the next one you could try adding water drops, it really makes flowers pop. Also putting some of the background color on the very edges of a few of the petals that are on the outside, the inner petals probably wouldn't pick up the color. LOL, another also to make a flower stand out, don't forget a bug bite or two. Go outside and look at the real colors in a bug bite, usually a bit of raw sienna and alizirin crimsom or similar color. Good luck.

BTW your rose is lovely as is.

Otter

lpb
09-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm a bit late weighing in, but I too really like it. Smooth & natural looking gradation of color. Nice depth to the center. I echo the comment about the negative (green) spaces on the top center & lower right...they could be slightly larger for more interest & variety, or completely removed. BUt hey, I wish I could do half as well!

T Christensen
09-02-2005, 12:39 PM
It seems to me when doing miniatures less is better ....its perfect as is . I love the clean soft feel of it , to combine the two colors would lose that feel . Because its small you need it to pop , need the contrast . I love it .....TerryC

wcartistsr
09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Your rose is very well painted. The shading is lovely. But it needs some spark. On your next one you might try deciding where the warm and cool areas were in the rose, and add cooler shades(blues to purples) into the cool areas and a touch of yellow into the warm areas. These colors would be subtle, but would add some more depth to the rose.

Shirley

olika
09-02-2005, 08:35 PM
I love your rose! It is very beautifully done! :D :D

tuckerbird
09-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks Otter- I actually thought about a dew drop or two, but they weren't in the reference and I wasn't sure I could pull it off. I must do some research, as I think someone here at WC may have given a demo on water droplets.

Thanks Lorraine- I do TONS of layers, but it's the only way I can get the gradation that I'm going for. Takes me forever, but it's very relaxing.

Thanks Terry- for your kind comments.

Thanks Shirley-Great suggestion. I will remember to try that on my next one.

Thanks Olika- glad you like it.

Strawberry Wine
09-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Tuckerbird:

Your rose is beautifully painted. You have received some great suggestions for your next rose painting. I agree that this one just needs a bit of drama.

I think Sandy1 did a demo on dew drops a while back. If you can't find it just PM her.

Another suggestion for "next time" would be to allow some of the background colour to show down each side of some of the outside petals.

Looking forward to seeing more roses from you.

Cheers,

Gail

FriendCarol
09-03-2005, 05:21 PM
As I looked at it, I wondered if the photo could be Don Berendsen's 'Merimbula Rose?' He just did a thread (with that title, if I spelled it correctly :rolleyes: ) here in a w/c subforum earlier this summer, demonstrating how he set up the photo for painting by altering values and so on in PhotoShop.

Nice job on this tiny painting! :)

Proverbs 3:5-6
09-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Beautiful!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Morgan

CharM
09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi tuckerbird... your rose is absolutely gorgeous... your washes are graded beautifully... and you've captured the light! I can't believe this is your FIRST rose!!!

When entering a composition, the judges will be looking for something that sets your composition apart from the others... I feel that Wendy is right... perhaps you should think about something that will add punch...

tuckerbird
09-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks Gail, Carol, Morgan and CharM for taking the time to look and for your kind and helpful comments. I showed this painting to my instructor this weekend, and although she thought it was nicely done, she said it would'nt qualify for the miniature show because it wasn't 1/6 the size of the reference subject. :( I re-read the rules on the entry form and it doesn't say anything about the "1/6 rule", only that the image size can't be larger than 4" X 6" and 48 square inches framed. Since she's entered WAAAY more miniature shows than me, I'm just going to frame this one as a small format painting, and I'm going to try to find something else to paint for the show. Thanks again!!

Proverbs 3:5-6
09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Bummer!! I'll be looking forward to what you do for the show!

Morgan