PDA

View Full Version : Canada Landscape II WIP already in progress

Turtle33
08-27-2005, 08:09 PM
hi everyone!
after finishing a commission, i got down to my next. this is my start!
it's another Canada landscape painting- rocks and water with very little foliage. so i am going to get alot more practice on water.
for this one, i'm working from 5 different pics i took when in Canada. i'm also using some artistic license.
this is being done on Fabriano Artistico 300 lb rough and measures 22.5 X 22.5 inches.
i'm mostly doing washes right now using my Kolinsky sable, series 3 3/4 and Simmons A 83 12 brushes. i masked out a small area of grass that might become larger but i'm not sure yet.
colors so far are DS undersea green mixed with DS cobalt blue, DS cobalt blue, DS aureolin and mix with DS Naphthamide Maroon.
thanks for looking! i'll post an update again tomorrow.

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0020.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0021.JPG

artmom
08-28-2005, 03:56 AM
Whooooeee! Another Sara! Am looking forward to this; I liked your other Canadian scene. :D

Lyn

painterbear
08-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi Sarah,

I'll settle in quietly next to Lyn while we watch you do your lovely magic with the watercolors.

It may just be the photo, but check the horizon line on the water before you go much further. It seems to be slanting down just slightly on the left. ;)

Sylvia

stewy2
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I am always facinated by Sarah's wips.
Am watching breathlessly, with all the others.

Karl

bluegenes
08-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Count me in!

Patty

Ellen in Ont
08-29-2005, 05:23 PM
So am I. Looking good so far Sarah!

FriendCarol
08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
The detail in the drawing of the rocks is either impressive or terrifying, not sure which! :eek: I doubt I'll ever have the patience to do that for rocks, in such a big painting. :D

It's already looking good, too. How on earth is that even possible!? (I'll be back!)

Yorky
08-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Watching and admiring, Sarah!

Doug

Turtle33
08-30-2005, 09:33 PM
hi Doug (((hugs))0 and thanks for looking :wave:

Hi Carol and thanks for looking :wave:
painting the rocks are going to be fun! this size painting is definitely small for me too.
it's moving along pretty well so far. for the rocks, i'm doing washes and waiting for alot of drying time. i layer like Doug does (i think he does) so it definitely is possible. you just have to wait alot.
for detail in the rocks, i will probably do some dry brush with my spotter.

hi Ellen and thanks for looking!

hi Patty and thanks for watching :)

hi Karl and thanks for looking :)

hi Sylvia (((hugs))) and thanks for watching :wave:
i double checked the horizon line and it's good now.
you definitely have a great eye!

hi Lyn (((hugs))) and thanks for looking!
get some tea! this is going to be a little while longer. my semester started and i'm off and running!

here's an update. i'm using the same colors as started with no new additions. i'm still doing washes for the most part.

thanks for looking

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0026.JPG

Yorky
08-31-2005, 02:21 AM
I like the way you have done the water Sarah - it really looks liquid.

Doug

painterbear
08-31-2005, 05:07 AM
Ditto to what Doug just said.

I can see the rocks coming together already.

:) for the horizon. ;)

Sylvia

Strawberry Wine
08-31-2005, 07:45 PM
I am sittting on the floor right up close. Watching the way you are going to paint those rocks.

Where is the location in Canada, ???? I think we are the huge colourful rocks capital of the world. :D

Looking forward to the next steps.

Cheers

Gail

Becky-Bob
08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Really well done Sarah!! I'm enjoying this. First time I've been able to view it. Must have so many viewing at once that its hard to get in. This is my fourth try over three days. ;) :clap: Gooooo Girl!!

murugesan
09-01-2005, 12:26 AM
very nice, I can feel the movement of the water. thanks for sharing.

lpb
09-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Wow, I will be following this too! Would you be able to post your 5 ref pics? I'm always interested to see how others combine pics & translate into a painting. Thanks!

Christie
09-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Sarah, I am looking forward to seeing more of this as well. Your water is already looking great.

stewy2
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Love the water,
Can't wait for the rocks.

Karl

yahooserious
09-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Hidy, Miss Sarah...

Your water already looks drinkable!!

Emilie

Turtle33
09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
hi Emilie ((hugs)) and thanks for looking!
i was away and i didn't bail out on this WIP. i wanted a weekend at the shore to de-stress. i did but i think i have more stress now that i'm back with all i need to do :eek: i'll get it done though.

hi Karl and thanks again for watching :wave:
i started the rocks yesterday, almost as soon as i got home. i'm doing washes but also adding some fine detail now too. i'm trying some more dry brush as well as it's working out well.

hi Christie and thanks!

hi lp and thanks for looking! i can post them but i have dial up so it takes awhile. i do have alot of the pics in the RIL. here's that link
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16927
and if you can give me until tomorrow night, i can get them all uploaded here.

hi muru and thanks for looking :)

hi Becky and thanks for looking! i actually had trouble getting to the site Thur. night, before i left. weird!

hi Gail and thanks for looking! this is also Lake Rideau, right by our cabin! the sunset was beautiful and the rocks even looked more amazing! your country is awesome!
for the rocks, the colors i'm using are WN caput, DS naph maroon, DS aureolin, DS cobalt blue, DS sepia.

hi Sylvia ((hugs))) and thanks for looking again!
the horizon is definitely fixed!

hi Doug and thanks (((hugs))) the water came along well and i fixed that area in the center that was making me crazy!

here's an update and comments and crits appreciated.

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2005/16927-DSCF0019.JPG

Lynn Quinn
09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Great start -- I'll be watching!

CharM
09-07-2005, 09:24 AM
This is really coming along beautifully, Sarah! Your water is perfect... I especially like the transparency of it where it meets the rocks... the sandy bottom is really well done!

Turtle33
09-07-2005, 09:24 PM
hi ML and thanks for looking :)

Hi CharM (((hugs))) :)
thanks for looking and noticing the reflections and water :)
i finished the painting last night and am giving it to my friend tomorrow. this was a commission so it's all framed and ready to go!
the title is "Jump Off Point" because i did that there :p

thanks again everyone for watching.

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/16927-JOP.jpg

painterbear
09-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Sarah,

This is really lovely. I'm sure your friend is going to be delighted with it.

Very nicely done.

Sylvia

Yorky
09-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Beautifully done, Sarah :clap: clap:

I assume your photo is tilted (horizon).

Your friend will be delighted - the water is wonderfully captured.

Doug