PDA

View Full Version : WDE 27-8 Argh Spider and BeachcombingWIP and possibleMI

silverflagon
08-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Beachcomber has taken an hour and 30 mins including drying time, and the start of Argh! Spider just half an hour. They kind of overlaped if you know what I mean :)
I've since added more detail to the spider pic and straightened up the doorframe. Any C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/44191-beachcomber600.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/44191-arghspider600.jpg

silverflagon
08-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Sorry in my rush I forgot the size and materials used. Beachcombing is 9 x 5 1/2 inches on heavyweight cartridge paper, using the new Graphitint pencils and some Frisket. I've just bought the Frisket, and of course I've had to test drive it :)

The sketch is on plain sketching paper measuring 7 x 11 inches (not named just a cheap pad) and is in ordinary graphite.

beebluefern
08-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Can't wait to see you Beachcombing completed...what an adorable pic...this looks like it's going to be equally as charming!!! Sketch is great!!! Interesting depiction!!! (Spiders- :eek: ) LOL

silverflagon
08-27-2005, 02:19 PM
I live in a small village near the UK's only Toyota factory, it's just a couple of fields away. But we are 8 miles south of Derby it's self so it can be very peaceful at times. And looking out of my window I can forget that the world is not such a nice place at times. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/44191-stilife600.jpg

The view I have of my tiny garden.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/44191-etwall600.jpg
And our village green, the church is on the laft behind the trees.

mbeckett
08-27-2005, 02:20 PM
nice, steph! you've got the sand looking just right. And it looks like an interesting story developing in the sketch!

Charlie's Mum
08-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Looking good so far Steph - glad I'm not the only one posting the 'Where I live' pics too :D

Fleur
08-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I look forward to seeing where you go with this. I particularly like the sketch. And your home views are fabulous!!! England is still a beautiful place isn't it?!
Marie-Dom

Flame Lily
08-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Steph, lovely drawings so far :clap: Graphitints seem like a great choice for the beach sand, how do you like them? I went shopping for some today and couldn't find any... will have to order over the internet.

Love the photo's you posted of where you live! It looks so beautiful there :wave:

silverflagon
08-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Thank you Mike, hope you like what I've done with it. :)

Thank you Mareen, Fleur, flamelily, my village is pretty and I am happy there, but even though I was almost born there :) (born in the next village really but moved there when I was 2) I did move away for 4 years when I married. So glad to be back though.

Hope you all like what I've done so far, and Flamelily you should be able to buy them through Dick Blicks, or at least that is what I have heard.

I must admit to using a touch of yellow and flesh colour in cp pencil though, because these colours are sadly lacking in them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/44191-beachcomberfin600.jpg
I think the dollar is under this shell!

I am risking loading this up, but for some strange reason the old image was showing in the preview, yet I have over written it with my new version?
Solved it, I altered the filename, and now the correct picture is loaded.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/44191-arghspider2_600.jpg
Don't look now but the spidermonkey has your drink!

Same problem with this one as well, but again I altered the filename.

khourianya
08-27-2005, 07:09 PM
These are great, Steph! I especially love the beachcomber one, though, because i can see either one of my nephews in that same pose!

TauCetiV
08-28-2005, 08:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2005/44366-cool.gif

Flame Lily
08-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Super updates :clap: They're both great, I especially love the faces on the Cafe piece, looks like some 'serious cafe chat' going on :D

silverflagon
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Thank you Terri, Coni, Flame Lily. I don't think I will use these Graphitint pencils for skin tones again, but the rest of the picture looks good. They made him look very grey :(

bjcpaints
08-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Steph! Lovely work and its so much fun to see where otheres live! Is that Bee Balm I see in your yard (Monard) - the tall red flowers?
Barbara

silverflagon
08-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Thank you Barbara, It's crocosmia I believe.

kordelia
08-28-2005, 01:15 PM
the boy is, of course, aDORable! :clap: luv the no color color idea... makes it soooo sunnnny a day!

what am i missing/?? what's with 'argh the spider'??? where's the spider??? i dont get it.... :( :confused: ..... but not the first time...............

lorna12
08-28-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm with Kori...I wondered "spider...what spider??" so I went and looked at the image again and it practically popped off the screen at me...didn't even see it the first time. A spider MONKEY!!! rofl.:D

Very nice work on both of these...I like them both!!

HRH Goldie
08-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi Steph! Well I will 'fess up that I have resisted opening this thread when I saw "spider" in the title :o :o :o :o I knew I hadn't seen a spider in the refs but miss blatantly obvious things at times but laughed when Lorna and Cori had the same problem but Lorna saves the day and anyway realised on your last update that it was no real spider lol. Now my heart has settled again I can say well done on two fantastic jobs this weekend. It looks like you have spent all of the time in deep concentration to achieve these. :clap: :clap: :clap:
How do you like the frisk then? I love it when it works but if you over wet your paper and it cockles the frisk lifts and you get horrendous colour bleed underneath which is infuriating. So maybe now you know you will be forewarned lol.
Lovely village and you got sun too - I am so jealous. I was going to post a pic of my house but it doesn't look as nice when outside weather is grey and miserable. Darned North Sea to blame I reckon. :wink2:

connievanwinssen
08-29-2005, 03:32 AM
They are both very nice! :)

silverflagon
08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
I forgot that some people wouldn't look if spider was in the title sorry Christine. :o
I just had to bring that dear little monkey into the picture somehow, so I dropped him down a little, now I need to find something to hang him from LOL!

I haven't done much today in the way of art, weather was decent so I was wearing myself out in the garden. I don't have a digital camera Christine, those photos were taken in June, when it was boiling hot!
And thank you for being kind about the beachcomber, I will do a brighter version though, and thank you for the hint on not wetting the paper to much when using Friskit. :)

Thank you Lorna, Kordielia. :)

silverflagon
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Thank you Cori.

I have started that picture again now, but I've not scanned that in yet, there is very little done to it yet.

But I have started this, and got it to a stage where I can show it here. I just had to have a go at painting this tiny cottage, http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/44191-cottageroughstart.jpg

HRH Goldie
08-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi Steph, no need to apologise just my silly phobias! I am not as bad as I was. At one time I was so bad that if I saw a photo of a spider or worse still saw a one on TV that it made me want to vomit! I had to look away and the family would tell me when it was all clear. Just one of my little eccentricities. :p

Great start on the cottage and the light on the path particularly caught my eye. I hope you finish and post us the result. :wave:

Dewi
08-31-2005, 05:59 AM
All of them are good and looking for the finished cottage. You have anice view of your garden from your window and am curious too about your rather tall with red flower but was answered and what happened during winter?

silverflagon
08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm pleased that you are over the worst of it Christine, I know how you felt. I was like that with dentists, and I'm over that as well :)

Dewi The crocosmia survive our winters pretty well, but we haven't had a severe winter for years. I leave them and the seedheads all winter, I love their shape and colour. I brightens up what would be a rather bleak view without them. :) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2005/44191-cottage600t.jpg

What do you think? I was very tempted to add the three bears :D

*Deirdre*
08-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Steph this is another one where the pictures are so good I can't choose between them! I love how you used the Graphitints! :clap: :clap: :clap:

silverflagon
08-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Thank you Deidre :) I loved the photos, I really was stuck for choice this time, and I might yet do another. I have one of the springbok, but I won't be able to post it till Friday :( No time tomorrow, but I might be able to start it today.

Sorry in my rush to get this up before the electrical storm hit, I forgot all the details :(

This cottage is in pastels on ingres paper and it took me 30 mins yesterday, and three hours today, and It measures 12 x 8.5.

HRH Goldie
08-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi Steph - now don't get me started with dentists - nooooooooooooo!
lol love the pastel - lovely sunny scene, which reminds me I hope the storm was over the worst as it reached you! :wave:

YYcat
09-01-2005, 04:05 PM
All your drawings are so beautiful. Just like them all. :clap: :clap: :clap:

silverflagon
09-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi Steph - now don't get me started with dentists - nooooooooooooo!
lol love the pastel - lovely sunny scene, which reminds me I hope the storm was over the worst as it reached you! :wave:

Ok I won't :D
Except that I visit them every 6 months now :D

Thank you Christine, I think the storm had spent it's self by the time it reached us. I think that is one bonus with living right at the end of the chain of the Penines and east of the Welsh mountains :D
And thank you both for your comments on my pictures. *Hugs!*