PDA

View Full Version : Music...

JustinM
08-27-2005, 12:02 AM
I was wondering aloud how many people on here find music to be hugely inspirational when they paint?

I remember as a young art student in graphic design watching with surprise how many people would thumb through design annuals and award books looking for inspiration and ideas. This always seemed to me to be a bad idea: can you say "subconscious plagerism"? (I do of course believe in viewing as much work as you can - under different circumstances - just not when you're in the 'ideas' stage of development).

My feelings about this were solidified when reading an interview with the great illustrator/designer milton glaser who said something to the effect of: "dont take inspiration from like works of art. If you're a painter, listen to music for inspiration. If you're a writer, look at paintings for inspiration. If you're a musician, read books for inspiration"

Nowadays, I find music is a huge part of my studio time (i dont listen to music when I sketch/plein air) and the reason I even thought of this was my drive to work this morning: i popped in a CD of opera which I havent listened to for months - and only then, when I paint - and I found myself driving wishing I had a brush in my hand (although I think the guy behind me is glad i didnt!)

jaydiva
08-27-2005, 05:49 AM
I agree wholeheartedly on the "subconscious plagerism".

Mostly i do not listen to music when i paint, my mind is on and in the painting at that time. Music would just distract me then.
But i do listen to music to relax and pictures come to my mind. Also when i read or do housework :rolleyes:
Most inspirational for me is jazz :clap: i love it!! Be it the "real" stuff or the new contemporary jazz.

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

Jade Scarlett
08-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Music is such an integral part of my life, that I don't know what I would do without it. It has the power to inspire me in ways that nothing else can. Although I'm tired now and wish I didn't have to do this anymore (because of the hours and the unhealthy environment), I'm still a DJ. And have been since I was a teen. So having music while I'm painting is as essential as having paints and brushes (although I play mostly classical or new age music, wouldn't be able to paint with the kind of music I concoct at the club). But sometimes, depending on what I want to paint, I'll play something different, that kinda changes the way my brushstrokes happen, I paint to the rhytm of the music.

Jade

laudesan
08-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Yes I listen to music while I paint.. :)

There was a poll I think on this subject soemtime ago. It was fun..

JustjoGA
08-27-2005, 02:36 PM
I love classical music, listen to it all the time... I have
classical stations on both car and bedroom radios, and
on my computer ... I have been and am learning more
all the time about all the classical composers, their lives
and their music, and to recognize particular ones' compositions.

Jo in Georgia

BlackFox
08-27-2005, 06:12 PM
I find music to be a huge inspiration, classical in particular. I listen to it when I'm thinking of what to paint, and then when I'm finishing, so that it can improve my work only when most necessary. Otherwise the effect wears off.

JustinM
08-27-2005, 08:16 PM
I find music to be a huge inspiration, classical in particular. I listen to it when I'm thinking of what to paint, and then when I'm finishing, so that it can improve my work only when most necessary. Otherwise the effect wears off.

What a very interesting & intriguing concept! I will have to try this :)

laudesan
08-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Have a look at the thread by Larry Seiler MUSIC WITH PAINT (http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Toolbox/RespondingMusic/)