PDA

View Full Version : Stephie's Rose WIP

Becky-Bob
08-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Stephie posted the most beautiful rose in the Daily Wash yesterday. My abilities to create a rose are quite rusty.....err I should say haven't actually developed well yet. So, I felt that I wanted to try this one out.

It is actually done more specifically with watercolor pencils using a wet brush rubbed against the pencil to pick up the color and then put onto for the most part a dry paper. It seems to be the ONLY way I can get that wonderful gradation of color that nature does so well. There is a bit of watercolor paints here, but just a bit.

And I know, I should have done the background first, but I wanted to be sure that I could actually pull off the rose before putting in all of that green. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2005/4536-P8240055.JPG

This is on Strathmore 140 lb, CP watercolor paper, done with Derwent watercolor pencils and Holbein and vanGogh watercolor paints.

I may leave this til after the weekend. Grandsons expected soon. Also gives me more time to view it objectively....and imagine the next step/steps. And I would like to add, when I post a WIP it is certainly not to teach anybody anything, it is because I need input/help along the way. I hope that is OK.

Suggestions?

olliewood0702
08-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Wow, Becky it's looking VERY good so far! I know what you mean when the grandkids are around...;) Can't wait to see more....

Cattleprod Karl
08-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Becky - very nice. I dread having to paint a rose. Just seems beyond my reach. It's a blessing and a curse that I'm involved in the floral A-Z challenge because it's really pushing me. I love the coloration you've developed here.

mmcaloon
08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Okay, I found my way to the mythical Studio Forum had to use two wizards and several odd charms but I am glad I did. Becky this is looking great. Can't wait to see how it moves along. Thanks for sharing

Yorky
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
An excellent start, Becky - I must say I snagged Stephie's rose too and I don't paint roses.

Doug

jaydiva
08-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Great start, Becky!! You've choosen some beautiful colours here.
I'm looking forward to seeing more :) maybe someday i'll get up the nerve to try a rose too.

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

laudesan
08-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Becky this is coming along beautifully..

Becky-Bob
08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys! Just checking in. Haven't moved ahead yet...grandsons here.

juneto
08-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Becky ,
Beautiful! What ever works is right . It looks finished to me. Hope you don't have much more to do on it, it 's very fresh now.
june

Granny R
08-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Becky this is looking so good, great color in those petals!!!
Ruth

bluegenes
08-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Becky, this looks lovely! Now I've added another thing to my wish list! Watercolour pencils!! LOL

Patty

Becky-Bob
08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
I LOVE watercolor pencils because they MAKE me a more conscientious painter, I've realized. They make me to see gradation in an entirely different light. I want to get more of them, a larger set. That's on my next wish list, for sure.

I'll work on this this evening perhaps. I've got a late lunch date today. Thanks for checking in all. In still a bit squeamish about continuing on this one.

Becky-Bob
08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2005/4536-P8300075.JPG Need some input from here. I still haven't removed the masking. Will do that next. More darks around the left upper region, I would guess.

Thank you!

Becky-Bob
08-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I can't go further here without some input. I surely would appreciate some. Have I ruined it? Sorry, I took the picture while wet. More darks surrounding the leaves perhaps? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2005/4536-P8300076.JPG

juneto
08-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Lovely Becky ! Not another stroke , you are done. Any more and you will overwork the background. Sign it.
June

mmcaloon
08-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Tend to agree with June. If you have a mat that size hold it over it and see what you see. I think you will see its ready to sign

Becky-Bob
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Thank you for your input. I'm estatic about this...I think now it is done. And I'm really pleased with it. Its not an exact image of the original, but I always like to go my own way, sometimes really screwing it up, but its a learning experience.

Stephie, thank you so much for the opportunity to paint this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2005/4536-P8300078.JPG

laudesan
08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Becky you zare so improving with each painting..:)

Try to remember when laying in your darks, put your darkest dark next to your lightest lights. You have done this at the bottom of your rose and it really pops. Gorgeous..

I really love your background, except for those little dab spots of green.. Maybe you could just soften them a little..

Have you got a mat that size like Mike suggests. I made one out of white cardboard, and I use it with all my paintings, really makes a difference in the look, if you put it over your painting .. Really does give you an idea if you are finished or not, and has stopped me fiddling many a time..:D

The bloom is drop dead gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Becky this really is a beautiful painting.. Way to go..

Becky-Bob
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Ohhhhh :o :o See, the green little doodads is something that I like about it. And I don't have a matting that size. Well, I'll have to decide here what to do.

Thanks for your input. Always valued. :)

laudesan
09-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Ohhhhh :o :o See, the green little doodads is something that I like about it. And I don't have a matting that size. Well, I'll have to decide here what to do.

Thanks for your input. Always valued. :)

Well there you go..

As for the mat. Go buy a sheet of white cardboard from your paper supply store, and make a cardboard mat to fit your painting. It is easy to do, and then you can put it on all your paintings as you go along when they are nearly finished to see how they are going.

You would be suprised how much a mat makes the painting look nicer.. It can save a person from over painting too :D

Becky-Bob
09-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks JJ! That will be on my next painterly shopping list! I appreciate the tip. ;)