PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard - Lady

Obedec
08-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Here's my latest WIP and the first one I could post on this site in quite a while. She's only a 5x7 and I'm starting to add some color. She is an elderly black spaniel mix that is the constant companion of a good friend of mine and the sometimes love object of my two males (everyone neutered). I did take off too much of the black areas but will be adding colors even more (ran out of light tonight) and probably going back in with a needle to make certain areas even silkier and smoother.
Karen H

brushandknife
08-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Is there any way you could post this a bit larger? It is hard to see. It may only be that it is so tiny or that the computer is doing "things" to the image. You're basics look to be very nice, but the fur looks a bit "spotty" for lack of a better word. Perhaps you could make some slightly longer scratches and overlap them a bit. But as I say, it could just be computer image problems. Looking nice otherwise. Looking forward to seeing it as you apply color. What are you using? I want to try scratchboard, have one started, but had troubles- large area removed for a flower and not happy with the fact that the ink seemed to "go back in" (hard to describe) as I worked so looked dirty. Haven't given up, just no time. Will get to it eventually. Would like to understand a bit more about color and applying it. Does it show if you go "Out of the lines" onto the black? Maybe you could do a bit of WIP and explanation. A pain, aren't I?! :D
Carol

jody007
08-26-2005, 09:54 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Karen,

I too would love to see this a bit larger! What I can see of your work is beautiful! I can wait to see it with color.

Jody :D

Obedec
08-26-2005, 11:21 AM
It's the computer. On this one I'll be using both inks and watercolor...the eyes and shading are watercolor but I've taken too much off in places and it needs more dramatic blacks...after all, she is a black dog.
Later today,
Karen

Obedec
08-26-2005, 11:22 AM
PS...this is also a scanned image. I hate scanning but it was too dark to photograph. Today I'll get a photo image, both before and after re-work.
Karen

Obedec
08-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Sorry, I took this photo a day ago and just haven't had the time to get it posted. This is the same phase, I haven't put any more work into it yet, but this is taken with my fabulous little camera. I also resized it hopefully. :rolleyes:
Karen

Obedec
08-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Here she is, finished. She's not sprayed or signed yet, but that will come tomorrow when her owner sees her. I ended up going to a dental pick in order to get the smoothness and detail I wanted. I also used inks and watercolors to bring the colors back to what I wanted.

I just got juried into a big show in the area, I'm so excited!

Karen