PDA

View Full Version : Winter Solstice - WIP

Alachua Artist
08-25-2005, 08:53 PM
I think I'm the only gouache artist in here. And I've been told this is where to post my paintings. So please come in, have a seat, and offer suggestions as I go along.

This is a new type of paper - quite unlike the usual rice paper I paint on. I do like the intensity of the color, and the fibers are fabulous. It's 22"x15" on handmade paper with a very heavy fiber content, which you can easily see.

The tree will be in a deep gray/brown, with the sun and moon faded behind it. All the outlines will be in silver. I haven't painted in a while, and this feels good.

Alachua Artist
08-25-2005, 09:01 PM
In looking at the design, I'm a bit torn as to which circle should be the sun or moon. I want to keep these two images very pale and weak. I'm thinking the smaller circle should be the sun, done in very light strokes and blends of yellow and white. The larger circle should be the moon, in white and blue. Or should I go the other way around?

Annapet
08-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi, Wendy. Of course you are not alone. Richard Saylor is also a gouche artist. I don't see him hang around here in the Studio, but I see him at the Workshop Forum, I think.

Nice to "meet" you, btw. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Please post your finished works at the Gallery for everybody to enjoy.

Cheers!

Annapet
08-25-2005, 09:12 PM
WOWIE! I know your work looked familiar :clap: :clap: :clap:.

And people think I don't pay attention at all!

Becky-Bob
08-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Girl, I went and looked at your website, and WOWSERS!!!! I love your work, absolutely LOVE it. Crows are a very important part of my life too.

I'm looking foward to watching this evolve. ;)

laudesan
08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Glad to see you back again!!

I am pulling up a chair front and centre..:)

The sun should be the front one and the moon the back one because the sun is bigger and more vrbrant than the moon.. I think..;)

murliss
08-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Wendy

It looks like you've made a good drawing here. I agree with JJ re the sizes of the sun and the moon, but do remember that the sun, although larger, should be behind the moon as it's further away from the earth. Also, your image appears to show a partial eclipse, with the moon passing between the earth and the sun, in which case there would be no light from the moon because 'moonlight' is reflected sunlight. Hope this makes sense.

Alachua Artist
08-26-2005, 03:29 AM
I like your suggestions of having the sun the larger circle, and putting the moon in front of the sun. But given the title of the painting, should I consider making the moon the larger of the two?

I've worked some on the main trunk and branches. The second image is a detail of the tree trunk. I'm using Windsor Newton gouache: jet black, permanent white, and burnt umber.

painterbear
08-26-2005, 04:25 AM
Hi Wendy,

I'm so glad to see one of your WIP's again. I really enjoyed the one you did with the crows.

This looks like a wonderful start. No advice on which should be in front the sun or the moon, I'll wait and see what you decide, either way I know this is going to be a terrific painting.

Is this new paper blue or did you already paint that background color on it?

You may be the only one who paints solely in gouache, but we have had a few others post paintings in this medium also. I keep wanting to try out the gouache paints I've been hauling around in my watercolor case for years and never seem to get around to it. Maybe watching your WIP will inspire me.

Sylvia

jaydiva
08-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Wendy :wave:

This looks like it's going to be a great painting!!!! I really love the paper, wonderful blue and fabulous texture.
T think the sun should be the smaller circle in back 'cause the blue of the paper and winter solstice implements night to me.

I've also been to your website WOW i sure love your paintings :clap:

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

Alachua Artist
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
ok - I jumped in and painted the sun and moon. The title of the piece dictated more which should get top billing. I may change the part of the moon that encloses the hill - make the hill a hill and not part of the moon. For now, it works, for me, anyway.

I'm keeping the sun and moon rather pale and uncomplicated for now. I may adjust them later. The silver work that will go on top will pop much better if these two forms are muted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2005/21231-PICT0005.gif

Next comes the detail in the tree branches. This takes a while, as it can become confusing. I am working from a couple of photos (which I will share at the end). The real fun will be working in the silver outlines and "frozen" effect with the silver gouache. Talk about obsessive compulsive!

Cattleprod Karl
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Beautiful thus far...I am looking forward to seeing this progress. Love the mood you're setting.

mmcaloon
08-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Like the way its evolving so far. Love watching these take shape I learn so much. Thanks for letting me peek over your shoulder.

Alachua Artist
08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Is this new paper blue or did you already paint that background color on it?
Ah PainterBear... you have been watching!

This paper is already the intense blue. It's not the usual rice paper I paint on. This is much heavier, almost like a fabric. And it behaves strangely with the paint. It buckles and heaves up while working on it. I'm glad the areas I work with are not too large, or this might become a problem.

I purchased this paper on eBay, looking for a rice paper vendor who had large sheets. This is more or less an experiment on this piece. I really like the color, just not so certain about the managablility.

painterbear
08-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Wendy,
I really want to see your latest stage of the painting but for some reason all I can see above is a thin line of blue and then a big white empty space. :(

Since both Karl and Mike were able to view it, it must be my machine. Earlier today it wouldn't even open this far.

Looking forward to watching ... If I get the chance. I really enjoy your work.

Sylvia

laudesan
08-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Looking good!! Hmmmmmmm I think the hill should be in front of the moon.

Sylvia take heart, last night when I tried to look at the daily wash the page opened and stopped on your tiny head. Icouldn't see your message at all or anyhting below it..:confused: I thought it was just my machine..

Alachua Artist
08-26-2005, 07:51 PM
This is how the tree will be worked:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2005/21231-PICT0006.gif
it's a slow process, but the frozen effect is what I am after. I am using Windsor Newton silver gouache. It's almost like painting with liquid silver! I love this stuff!

hmm... something is wrong with the uploader. I'm going to attach it as well.

painterbear
08-27-2005, 05:06 AM
Wow, Wendy, this one opened for me and I really like what I see. I love trees that are covered with ice and gleaming like diamonds. You are capturing that effect.

Sylvia

jaydiva
08-27-2005, 05:22 AM
Coming along great!!
Wonderful choice of cold colours. Even the yellow has a nice cool tone thanks to the blue paper, i like that a lot.

Alachua Artist
08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your encouragement. Sometimes I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing - the paintings paint themselves. I just get to hold the brushes!

Alachua Artist
08-27-2005, 04:44 PM
You won't believe what happened - I came down into my studio to work on my painting earlier this morning - and something had CHEWED IT!! AAGGGG
:eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/21231-PICT0008.gif

I have no idea what could have done this. We did have mice in here last year, but they are gone. There are these huge bodied crickets, called Zebra Crickets, that are everywhere. Could they have done this??

I've bought 6 bug bombs and am going to zap this place tomorrow!!

painterbear
08-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Wendy,
That is bizarre! It/they didn't make a hole in the paper I hope. Can you repair the damage???? :o :mad:

Sylvia

Alachua Artist
08-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Luckily, whatever was snacking didn't eat all the way through. I'm not certain what I would have done then, other than be in recovery over my heart attack.

With the other rice paper I use, if a section tears - which does happen - I simply take another little piece of the rice paper, wet it, stick it over the torn area and let it dry. Then the gouache acts like a glue, and holds it all together.

Cattleprod Karl
08-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Wow, I guess you have artist locusts or something, Wendy. Never heard of anything like that before. It appears they only go after GOOD art because all my stuff is intact. ;)

laudesan
08-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Good Grief (((((Wendy))))) :eek:

Can you repair it???

You need pest control in your studio real quick..

bluegenes
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
This is a really COOL painting! I love it!
Too bad about the nibbler...hope you can fix it!! And I hope whatever ate it has a really bad tummy ache...

Patty

Alachua Artist
08-29-2005, 10:23 PM
This is finally finished. At first, I wasn't too pleased with it. But once I added the gold touches to the frosted branches and fixed the hill, it came together. And despite the knawed areas, I think this works.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/21231-final1.gif
WINTER SOLSTICE
22" x 15" gouache on handmade rice paper

Here is a detail of the branches:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/21231-final-detail.gif

Alachua Artist
08-29-2005, 10:25 PM
hmm... the silver and gold don't read well in the photos. But i think you get the idea. Thanks for painting along. Your suggestions helped.

Cattleprod Karl
08-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Very cool. I like it a lot.

painterbear
08-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Beautiful finish, Wendy. Very ethereal. You've captured the magic of the frozen tree so well. Thanks for the closeup, it at least lets us imagine how the large pic looks with the glittering gold and silver.

Lovely painting, interesting WIP!

Sylvia

Alachua Artist
08-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks Karl and Sylvia. When looking at the what-I-thought-was finished painting, it needed the gold to punch up the frosted look... kinda like a little sunlight reflecting off the ice. Do you get that impression?

bluegenes
08-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Yep, certainly gives that impression! This is a great painting.

Patty

laudesan
08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Wendy this painting finished beautifully. It looks fabulous on my monitor!!

Fairy
08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Wow, I wish I looked at this thread earlier, but what a treat to enjoy the progress of this unusual painting from start to finish in one go!!!
Amazing and wonderful, never thought of gouache as a medium being capable of such beauty! But then, maybe it's just my crooked hands! All credit and hats off to the artist! Way to go, Wendy! :) :) :)

Becky-Bob
08-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Just STUNNING! I really like your style. :clap:

jaydiva
08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Wonderful finish, Wendy!! It all came together so well.
I really like the frosty look and the magic the whole painting has

CharM
08-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi Wendy! This has been an exciting read!!! From your opening post, through your planning and decision making steps, to the damage done by some evil vermin all the way to your big finish!!!

Nina Kuriloff paints in gouache and posts here, btw...

I love the work you do on rice paper... this blue stuff is certainly beautiful... and I saw the trees as soon as you posted your first pic...

Hoar frost is a winter phenomenon that fascinates me... it's beauty is nearly impossible to capture... on film or in paint...

I feel that you've done exactly what I never could!!! I'm giving you my Merit Point for the day... stick-to-it'iveness, talent and fabulous finish!!!!

Alachua Artist
08-30-2005, 05:46 PM
I feel that you've done exactly what I never could!!! I'm giving you my Merit Point for the day... stick-to-it'iveness, talent and fabulous finish!!!!
oh WOW! I'm so honored! Many thanks for your vote of confidence. I try to push my knowledge of art - varmints notwithstanding. I can only hope to inspire someone else to try or take what I do further. Art takes us beyond our small selves to where creation really is.

Reach as far as you can and then further - and if you fall while reaching, you'll learn to fly.

oh my - now WHERE did THAT come from? must be gin-n-tonic time. :evil:

Alachua Artist
08-30-2005, 05:49 PM
... and many thanks to you, too, Patty, JJ, Olga, Becky and Jutta. This is the only place I can test my skills, get good feedback and suggestions, and try out my crazy ideas. I appreciate you guys being part of this.

Alachua Artist
08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
... never thought of gouache as a medium being capable of such beauty! But then, maybe it's just my crooked hands!
well, I don't know about that. I LOVE gouache. That velvety finish works perfectly with the metallic silver and gold line work I add to the paintings. And since my crooked hands are the ones I paint with - helps with the branches you know. :wink2:
I broke my wrist 2 years ago in a motorcycle accident, and because the brillian doctor didn't set it correctly, it had to be rebroken. Well, now it's straight, but stiff. Don't let your crooked hands hold you back. Mine (nor my crooked back) don't! :wave:

Fairy
08-31-2005, 11:57 AM
well, I don't know about that. I LOVE gouache. That velvety finish works perfectly with the metallic silver and gold line work I add to the paintings. And since my crooked hands are the ones I paint with - helps with the branches you know. :wink2:
I broke my wrist 2 years ago in a motorcycle accident, and because the brillian doctor didn't set it correctly, it had to be rebroken. Well, now it's straight, but stiff. Don't let your crooked hands hold you back. Mine (nor my crooked back) don't! :wave:
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear about your injury... especially the fact the wrist had to be rebroken... Ouch. Not too many things could be worse for an artist!

Wendy, I was, of course, joking about "my crooked hands" ;) and meaning that I don't have enough talent to be able to handle gouache the way you do - but then again maybe it's just not my cup'o'tea... I promise that I will give it another shot some time. Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy your wonderful works!!! Thnak you for sharing them here! :cat:

Cattleprod Karl
08-31-2005, 12:35 PM
So Wendy, did you ever discover the culprit(s) of the munching on your painting? How did you go about repairing the damage?

Alachua Artist
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
So Wendy, did you ever discover the culprit(s) of the munching on your painting? How did you go about repairing the damage?
I highly suspect the Zebra crickets that have invaded my house were the guilty parties. Luckily, they did not eat all the way through the paper, just the surface layers of black paint. There must be something in that black that they liked, since that was the only color they ate.

Repair was fairly easy. I wet the paper, and smoothed down the chewed areas by pressing down with my fingers. The areas were rather small, so I had to be gentle. When it was dry, I repainted the spots - with BROWN gouache!