PDA

View Full Version : Maine Coon Cat

Rose Baggs
08-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I just posted a "demo" on this cat at the Animal Forum...if anyone interested.
9"x12" Soft/hard pastels and Pastel pencils on Black Strathmore Art Paper. I had to do a Demo on this non convencional paper for pastel (after few people asked me to)...but I'll do a demo on a pastel paper too.
Thanks!!!

valchina612
08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh Rose, your kitty cat is exquisite. Beautiful eyes, wonderful colours, a really awesome Cat Portrait. Will be checking in with the Animal and Wildlife forum. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

tking
08-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Awsome as usual. Do you use photographs as references?

SweetBabyJ
08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Both of your cats are well-done and capture "cat" perfectly.

Dark_Shades
08-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Excellent Rose - well done - lovely job on not only the fur, but markings and eyes

Paula Ford
08-25-2005, 12:28 PM
I agree with all...exquisite!!!

Paula

momof6
08-25-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm not a cat person - oh I like them as well as "all other animals after horses and dogs" (which is to say, a lot!) - but this is one of my favourite cat portraits yet! Just something about it... LOVELY!!!

Kristrotter
08-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Another beautiful cat painting!! The eyes, the fur, everything looks so real.

Rose Baggs
08-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks a lot Val, Tking, Julie, Dark shades, Paula, Momof6 and Kristie!!!
I blended the background a little bit...here is the update.

eyre
08-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I posted in your demo. I love your work. I am a beginner to painting cats, and have only done three. I appreciate such a great demo :) It's very helpful.

Just beautiful.

maria_khurram
08-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Rose Baggs, is this a painting or photograph? This question came into my mind for a moment but then when I saw the background, I realised that it is a painting. I think thats enough as a compliment.

Shan Khurram
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Rose, a beautiful painting. I wondered how soft pastels work so nicely and fine. I tried Oil Pastels but they work in a different way. Your painting of the cat is really outstanding. Specially the skin near head and the fur, both are handled very well.

Cheers

Rose Baggs
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks so much, Mandy, Maria and Shankhurram!!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Here's the link to Rose's Demo in the Animal Forum - please consider doing one for us too and tell us how you like using the Strathmore paper compared to the conventional pastel paper supports. This is excellent work - a gorgeous kitty!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290860

Trilby
08-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Rose this cat could just crawl into my lap it's so life like. Impeccable job on this.
Kat, thanks for posting the link. Will checkout the demo.
TJ

Geoff
08-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the demo, Rose.
You've made a wonderful job of the maine coon ( we have 2 of the little darlings, one close to the colouration of the demo, and one that is white/bluish - so I can see how difficult the fur would be ).
Intriqued by the method you used, with the eyes completed almost at stage 1.

Great what can be done by an expert, with pastels!

More please !!! :clap: :clap:

Rose Baggs
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks so much Kat..for the link and the nice comments. Somehow I ran out of Pastel paper few weeks ago and decided to draw a cat on Strathmore Art Paper since was the only paper I had at the moment...I drew 2 cats (Tabby, Tuxedo) and some people at the Animal Forum asked me to do a "demo" showing how I work. I decided to do the "demo" with the same paper to show it;s possible to work on papers that are not recommended for pastel (due the lack of tooth). I'll do a "demo" on the proper Pastel paper. It will be a challenge for me because I got 3 different kinds of paper to try on... Velour, Art Spectrum and Stonehenge. I got some Wallis too...but I have used Wallis before and it's my favorite so far...
Thanks for the kind words TJ!!!
Geoff...what a lucky guy you are...2 Maine Coon?? Wow..I've read that the are the biggest domestic cats around...by the pictures I've seen they are gigantic...I bet they are very loving cats.
BTW...I have 8 cats...
Thanks for your nice words!!!!

Mikki Petersen
08-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Rose, wonderful realism here! I love this breed of cat and, if not allergic would have one in my home. You have done them proud!

Mikki

Rose Baggs
08-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the nice words Mikki. I don't know what I would do if I were allergic to cat fur...I think I would take "zillions" of medication...and would keep all my cats around me.... Lol...

Merethe T
08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Brilliant work!!! The eyes are amazing, the fur is excellent - I love it!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I saw your demo in the animal/wildlife forum - thanks, I enjoyed seeing your steps!! And - I've got five cats, no Maine Coon yet, but I've thought about getting one - beautiful animals. And yours is gorgous!!

Rose Baggs
08-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks Merethe!!! Both for commenting and caring for the felines...I just love them so much!!!