PDA

View Full Version : Advice on air cleaner/filters

eutherpendragon
08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Does anyone have any advice on the best air cleaners/air filters/air purifiers for the studio of a pastel artist?

I'm trying to find the best value for the money (isn't everyone?) - anyway, there are a lot of air purifiers out there with a wide range in price and I don't know which ones work best. I know Dick Blick sells the Austin Air brand, but I'm curious if there are other ones out there that work as well as Austin Air, but are not as pricey.

I just bought a really expensive, large set of Schminkes. Now it looks like I need to invest in an air purifier. I wonder what will be next...

Anyway, if anyone could help me out in this area, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

O'Aieghlans
08-25-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd love this information as well. I don't usually have dust flying around in all directions. However, I would like to have a small inexpensive filter by the easel to catch any errant dust, not a major air filter, just something that could help out a bit.

K Taylor-Green
08-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi! Welcome to the Pastel Forum!
I don't use one at the moment, but I think several regulars here do. Hopefully one will pop in and comment.

Khadres
08-25-2005, 09:59 PM
I have a Hunter brand air cleaner which I keep running just behind and under my easel...it offers a bonus in keeping the rest of the room dustless, as well. It's neither the most expensive or the cheapest of the lot, but it has a prefilter which you can clean yourself periodically and the central filter which must be replaced every year or so depending on how much you use the filter...I've had mine a couple years and I'm still using the original filter because I only turn the thing on when I'm actually down there. It has an electronic doohickey on it that flashes and tells you when it needs a new filter....haven't seen it yet tho.

I like this one and it's supposed to do a better job than the "ionic breeze" type despite the ads. I don't relish having to "clean the grids" with a cloth/sponge every day or so on the "breeze" type.

Depending on the size of the room you're using it in, you can get Hunters cheaper or more expensive than mine. Check out your local Lowe's or Home Depot.

eutherpendragon
08-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Khadres,

Thanks very much for the advice on air cleaners. I will check into the Hunter brand at Home Depot.