PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to use soft pastels?

Cheena K
08-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi!

I have a question!
Is it safe to use soft pastels while pregnant?

I have a box of Rembrandt Soft Pastels, and have been wondering wether I should paint or not...

Please let me know.

jackiesimmonds
08-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Ifyou use a face mask to protect from the dust, and latex gloves to prevent any incursion through your skin, you will be perfectly well protected.

Just don't eat any of your pastels!
Jackie

Cheena K
08-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the inputs Jackie!

I don't think I will be able to get hold of these latex gloves here in India, maybe I'll try using a substitute...

Can't think of not painting for so long...

Trilby
08-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Congratulations on the expected baby! No gloves? use a hand creme and either wipe hands clean with baby wipes frequently, or just wash often with a wet towel. Use a tool for blending, rther than fingers (paper stump, cotton tip, a piece of styrofoam, or just use your pastel stick for blending layers.)
TJ

Deborah Secor
08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
I painted in soft pastels throughout my pregnancy, without gloves or a mask, and my son was, and still is, quite healthy! (He's 19 now...) Do what you need to feel assured, but WORRYING is the worst thing you can do!

Congratulations. :)

Deborah

Khadres
08-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Congratulations on the coming baby! What flavor do you want? Boy, girl?

Don't worry about your pastels, especially the Rembrandts...they're less dusty than many. Just keep hands washed and use good ventilation! Good luck!

Laura Shelley
08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
I wish I'd been a pastelist when I had my pregnancies. I was an oil painter, and because of the solvent problem I decided to quit for the entire duration of pregnancy and nursing--permanently, as it turned out. For years I worked only with colored pencils or watercolor, neither of which are my bag. If only I'd known...

Be healthy, and good luck! ;-)

Laura

Cheena K
08-30-2005, 02:48 AM
Hello Everyone! thanks! for the wishes! I will be pastelling as much as I can...
I am just anxious...it's my first! I hope I will be able to go thru' the entire process with courage and good health...

Thanks once again!

khourianya
08-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I am sure you'll do just fine. In fact, if you are painting throughout your pregnancy, chances are you will be more relaxed and it will go even more smoothly. Best wishes - when are you due? We'll be looking forward to seeing baby pictures! :D

DLJohnson
08-30-2005, 12:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/7846-baby.gif

Congratulations!
Donna

Cheena K
08-31-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes and tips! I am due in April!!