PDA

View Full Version : 22

jnet11
01-11-2002, 12:57 PM
this is 24 x 28 inch acrylic on canvas, painted in front of my bathroom mirror, titled "22"

something new

mame
01-11-2002, 01:11 PM
this is really psychologically powerful without being didactic jnet. Talk about Fauvism. Can perceive real understanding of color - warm/cool, which aint easy.

May I offer one critical observation (as in critique)?

AmyH
01-11-2002, 01:16 PM
came looked enjoyed, I'd like to see the faces in the background diminished in thier importance, mostly the third lower one. they are competing too much for me. agree with mame re palette and psyche.

amy

lori
01-11-2002, 02:22 PM
j*...

i want to join your fan club! uh, i'll even start one!

seriously though, your paintings over the years have improved to a point of masterfulness. the subconscious layering of ideals, combined with your brush strokes leaves me in awe.

impressive.

ZOTMA
01-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Wheeeeeeew
I'm in (that club))
smack

jnet11
01-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by mame

May I offer one critical observation (as in critique)?

ah please ... I keep your advice close at hand more often than you know ;)

amy: good advice on the back paintings ... I've avoided backgrounds for so long, I'm just beginning to really address that aspect of painting.

jnet11
01-11-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by lori
seriously though, your paintings over the years have improved to a point of masterfulness.

lori, I'm humbled. I hope to bring myself to the level of master, I don't feel I'm there yet! I still feel that I'm casting out into the waters for what is inherently me. Not that I mind the fits and starts, I learn by practice. So I try all sorts of styles. One of these days, though :)

zotma: you doll ...

dnip24
01-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Beautiful combination colors!:)

mame
01-11-2002, 09:35 PM
jnet - well, now I feel silly but I didn't want to offer criticism unsolicited.

This work is so powerful - I'm a sucker for a colorist. Compositionally it so strong - except - ta-da - for the framed image in the lower right hand corner.

For me, it dilutes the impact/strength of this work. Almost as if you could not resist filling empty space. But rather than support/contribute to a cohesiveness, it distracts and detracts. In my mind, sometimes absence creates and supports the overall presence of a work. As always, take with a grain of salt and a good bloody mary.

jnet11
01-12-2002, 12:32 PM
interesting that you identified the exact same spot as amy- your sensibilities are in the groove ... I envisioned this without the lower framed figure and I think you are right.

thanks always for your critiques!

j*

RWeller
01-12-2002, 01:23 PM
the colors are wonderful

reynolds
09-17-2005, 08:38 PM
i remember this one...

minman
09-17-2005, 09:48 PM
I really like quite a lot about this painting. The figure on the lower right doesn't bother me like it does others. I think it adds a bit of mystery to the piece. I get a "stalker" type feeling from this image and the expression on the main figure serves to reinforce this feeling. it's as if she is trying to figure out her escape from the demons that haunt her. She seems afraid with a sense of urgency. I'm not real fond of the lettering, but it doesn't detract from the piece too much for me. All-in-all, a very interesting work.

burdeee
09-17-2005, 10:01 PM
This work is so powerful - I'm a sucker for a colorist. Compositionally it so strong - except - ta-da - for the framed image in the lower right hand corner.
For me, it dilutes the impact/strength of this work. Almost as if you could not resist filling empty space. But rather than support/contribute to a cohesiveness, it distracts and detracts. In my mind, sometimes absence creates and supports the overall presence of a work. As always, take with a grain of salt and a good bloody mary.

.... i agree and cheers jnet 11

11:11 :wave: