PDA

View Full Version : I'm on a doggie roll ...

champagneharley
01-11-2002, 09:34 AM
This time it's a black poodle.
Scanned darker than the original.
Darn black dogs aren't easy to do using just black to portray them!
Oh well...
Jillian
http://www.JillianCrider.com

els
01-11-2002, 09:46 AM
Nice drawing, a bit dark, but very nice.

champagneharley
01-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Thanks els.
Yes, problem with scanning these, not as dark as it appears. The subtlety of some of the fine line work is lost.
Oh well.
Thanks anyway.
Jillian

dnip24
01-11-2002, 11:53 AM
beautiful picture!

NorahT
01-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Nice drawing - looks fluffy enough to pat :)

champagneharley
01-11-2002, 05:50 PM
*S* The dog was at a Championship show I went to before Xmas.
It was a lovely personality dog.
But all fluffed up for the judging.
Was difficult to portray the straight as well as curly hair parts to it.
Unfortunately the scan doesn't pick up some of this.
Thanks.
Jillian

sassybird
01-11-2002, 06:55 PM
You go girl:D You definitely have a good hand at doggie portraits. Poodles are hard to draw period whether they are black, white, apricot, or gingers. You did an excellent job. I would love to see the orginal. It is sad that we can't get better scans. Though the overall impression is there scanning leaves out the more subtle markings. I also like the perspective in this piece. Funny that so many draw straight on or side views. It is almost like we set them up like a still live instead of drawing from the perspective we view them most of the time, looking down.

champagneharley
01-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Sassybird,
I think you said a lot in your reply.
Some things I just couldn't put a finger on. Yes, most people DO seem to do them straight on, etc. I had a choice of 2 to do this one, and chose this over a straight on one, as this showed more of why a poodle is a poodle with complete poodle cut, which fascinates me. His 'mane' and ears were fluffed to perfection, but the close cropping on his rear of body was tight and curly, and my fine lines DO reflect this.
I scanned it at 300 dpi, and even then, I can see the lines have scanned heavily.
I will NOT get prints of this, as I can already see it will reproduce too heavy, and not get in the softness and prettiness of this dog. I might do hand pulled screen prints of him though, as I would like to share as many of him as I can, and I am able to capture some of the finer lines this way.
*LOL* Yes, I guess, for one reason or another all drawings present their challenges ... as she wonders how to draw a WHITE poodle. *grin*
Thanks for your thoughtful comments.
Regards,
Jillian

Christie
01-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Before my beagles retired, we showed them. I always loved seeing the poodles because so much work went into their coats! My beagles were always wash and wear at the shows!

You have done a great job on this one. Curly fur is tough to do and poodles are almost the worst of the lot (unless they are shaved!). I find that charcoal and graphite scans very dark on our scanner as well. I tend to use my digital camera to post graphite type work. I have found that it makes things look a bit better.

champagneharley
01-11-2002, 10:59 PM
Hey Christie!
Great idea! I forgot about that. Had a digital camera that took line images just great, but got problems with my new one (whether I just haven't learnt to use it right yet, I don't know. Will try to do that though. Thanks for reminding me!
Yes, it's a bummer re the dark scanning. Oh well.
Got a beagle on my list of art 'to do's' *S*
Yes, I used to show German Shepherds, so know the wash and wear type for sure, but then, I'm that kind of person anyway, not one to primp in the mirror! Takes all types to make the world go around.
I do like the poodles all decked out like this one, it makes them really 'special', this one had an adorable personality, a champion in my books.
Thanx again.
Jillian

sassybird
01-12-2002, 09:57 PM
Jillian, if you do some hand pulled screen prints please post them over in the printmaking forum. We are just starting out over there, and there are several people just starting in printmaking. I would love to have you do a lesson on screen printing to add to the forum.

mebucko
01-13-2002, 10:34 PM
ChampagneH, I love the pose you have chosen also, I had never thought of that, about the way animals are usually posed, I learn all kinds of things here. I have no doubt that this is a very good rendering, but it is hard to see!:D I have a suggestion, that may, or may not help you. Did you by chance scan this as linework? If you did, I would suggest scanning as a B/W photograph. If I am wrong about this, pay me no mind, I guess you could scan a closeup section so we CAN see the nice linework that you have done.:) Just a couple of ideas, hope you don't mind... Good work though.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2001/ranbucko-2.gif

champagneharley
01-14-2002, 12:48 AM
What wonderful ideas you both have! When I get a 'tick' I'll try and see what I can do.
Thanx heaps!
Jillian

champagneharley
01-14-2002, 07:40 AM
Well, I tried grayscale scanning, but the background, and all white turns out grey. I used 'fill' and the background was OK (with white) but the other areas stayed grey. I started working pixel by pixel, but gave up, but it did look a bit better than the first scan.
However, I then took a photo, albeit at night time, and I am OK with the way it looks. I might try taking another tomorrow in daylight, but think that will be what I will use on my web site.
Thanx heaps for the tips.
Will do a screenprinting lesson when I'm able to. I have surgery coming up next week, and am aprehensive about it.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
01-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Oh! Think I am going to HAVE to photo in daylight. I had to lighten this and sharpen, and now it shows up divisions in line work that I don't see in the original. Hang loose. Daylight is 8 hours away! *LOL*
Jillian

champagneharley
01-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Well, now that morning is here, took a photo, although a little in the shade. Ended up with Blue background, so adjusted it.
This shows up the line work a lot more like it actually is, but also the work is black, not blueish like shown. At least it is not dark, like the original.
Thanks for the tips. This is the one I will be putting up on my site.
Regards,
Jillian