PDA

View Full Version : Faber-Castell Polychromos Pastels

*Marina*
08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
I am looking for a harder soft pastel so that I will be able to draw finer lines in a painting. I was wondering about the Faber-Castell Polychromos pastels. Does anybody know whether these are oil pastels or soft pastels. Are they suitable for the job or is there a better make?

Merethe T
08-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Marina! The Faber Castells are soft pastels, and are perfect for fine lines and details. They are pretty hard, and you can sharpen them to a fine line with some sandpaper. I have a full set of them and love mine. Nupastels are a cheaper alternative, same form and work the same way. I have pastel pencils aswell, but find that I prefer the FC's for line- and detailwork. Hope this helps!

Karen Margulis
08-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi....I use them with nupastels to do my first layers. I like the range of colors. I want a full set too!!!
Karen

Bringer
08-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi,

Of course that this is my opinion.
They are hard pastels, which I use for details and lines. I keep breaking them to get REALLY sharp edges. Being hard they won't work quite well over a very soft pastel like Schminke but will work better ove a rembrandt. I must say that I recently bought some Derwent pastel pencils which were in promotion. But I prefer the polychromos do work together with sticks. I still have to try the Carbothelo pencils tough.
Polychromos are also good to work by themselves, as are the pencils of course.
You won't regret buying them since they come in handy as a complement to your stick ones.

Regards,

Josť

Khadres
08-23-2005, 08:43 PM
I actually have two full sets of the Polychromos...that's how well I like them! I much prefer them to my NuPastels mostly because they're both color-fastness rated and have brighter, denser hues. I only wish they made some lighter and more in-between shades as well as the 120 they put out now. You'll love them, especially for detail and underlayering.!

chewie
08-23-2005, 11:23 PM
i agree with khadres, i really like my 100 set of f/c's. and i did this little window test of my pastels--used good paper, thick, white, acid free, and i made streaks of colors similar, but of all different brands. i then coverd half the streak with mat, and taped to my south window for almost a year. both the nupastels and the createacolors faded ALOT. nothing else did, mt. vision, remb., the f/c's, or art spectrum. so i say buy them!!! and the whole set too!!

Kathryn Day
08-24-2005, 01:14 AM
I've been considering the set of polychomos, so think you all have me talked into it. I don't really have any harder pastels, rembrant being the hardest, so would like one to do my block-ins and for detail when I don't want to use a pencil. Now will have to check all the supplier links for the best price!!

Khadres
08-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Chewie, it's always good to know the results when one of us actually takes the trouble to put materials to the test. Thanks for your efforts and the info! I know Polys are a bit more expensive than NuPastels, but I definitely think this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

*Marina*
08-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Merethe, Karen, Jose, Sooz, Chewie, Kathy,
Thanks a lot for your quick replies, much appreciated. It is obvious now which set to choose.