PDA

View Full Version : Odd Nerdrum

Painted Melody
01-10-2002, 11:38 PM
Does anyone else like this artist?

I am discovering this modern Rembrandt meets Goya artist. Odd Nerdrum's paintings are isnanely (http://www.nerdrum.com/Images/hepatitis.html) intense and full of .. irony

Recently purchased Odd Nerdrum's Paintings Sketches and Drawings, set me back 60 bucks on my limited budget, but it was well worth it.. the reproductions are out of this world

Jeremy

paintfool
01-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Well Jeremy, i probably should have made you do this research on your own but... ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4836&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Cheryl

Painted Melody
01-11-2002, 09:01 AM
Ohs.. looks like im about a year late.. :]... Great discussion nevertheless, thanks for the heads up

Jeremy

surreal
01-27-2002, 12:41 AM
I like Odd Nerdrum too. I think he is a wonderfully innovative painter. After I saw one large exhibit of his paintings, I began to adore his work.
surreal;)

snakum
01-27-2002, 09:33 AM
I have caught flashes of Nerdrum in magazines and online. But I saw 'The Water Protectors' yesterday at the NCMA and was so blown away by it when I got home I looked up all his stuff online. I've read that he is a SEVERE @$$hole and I've read arguements about whether or not he knows his @$$ from a hole in the ground about Old Master techniques ... but I like his work. The composition, the subject matter (kooky, but cool), that golden honey glow ... I'd like to have prints of some of his work. I'd also love to be able to duplicate exactly the fleshtones and transitions in his figures.

Maybe I'm just severely uninformed ...

Minh Thong

Keith Russell
01-27-2002, 11:44 PM
Greetings:

Who cares about what Nerdrum is like, or whether he really knows everything he claims to know about art.

The guy can paint, and I like quite a bit of his work.

(Like Phil Hale and Mark Ryden better, though!)

Keith.

Painted Melody
02-02-2002, 11:56 AM
The guy is a total flake, I hear. I wish I could see actual paintings by him -- the book is quite good at its reproductions, especially the detail shots of his paint thickness. Paint application as if its Monet and Rembrandt combined

jeremy

gjwillis
02-19-2002, 07:49 PM
I admire his work too. It's very wild and ironic. When I first saw it I thought it was a newly discovered work by one of the Old Masters.

surreal
02-19-2002, 08:04 PM
Nerdrum's palette is very "Old Masters". I love it.
surreal
:D