PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinion, please, please.....

kordelia
08-22-2005, 05:50 PM
of all the talented people, and please, therefore, excuse me for posting here, but where else could i find such an assemblage!!!???!!!!

At a resale shop today i came upon a most fabulous frame, gold metal, double matted as you see..... so unique a hole, that turned UPward, i thought immediately of Skyler in the SKY....... there is a Fine Arts Show for Seniors coming up and i wanted to submit that.... $$$ prizes, and this is a definite "awwwwww" picture.... the sky is a big part of it..... BUT what do you think of the frame??? it's an 8inch square.... but such a unique mat..... i'm still thrilled with my 'find', so not thinking clearly..... what does it do to the picture?????? Pete is actually lighter IRL, but i may have to define his hand a bit better now that it's zeroed in on it..........AHA... while i have your attention, i rounded up the alternatives: opening on a medium brown mat 4 1/2 X 6 1/2; OR mauve/gray mats opening 5X8... please, please, any and all comments..... please...... thanx, Kory :wave:

silverflagon
08-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Please don't put it in such a small frame, instead save it for a small picture. Your sky is too lovely to loose. Instead choose one of the other framed pictures, I like the red one best it seems to pick out the slight blush in the sky.

But preferably one that showed the whole picture would be better.

HRH Goldie
08-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi Kory - right first of all calm down girl! You are panicking and ranting lol. :rolleyes:
Not quite sure what you are meaning as you haven't showed us the frame lol - or am I losing it but based on your photos shown to us here goes:-
the circle mount - I am not sure if that is a double mount and has just moved out of line but it isn't symmetrical so that threw me a bit. Normally I would say it works and makes a super little cameo - however we all know there is more to the painting so therefore I would say no to this one.

The brown - I don't know it just doesn't do the palette you have used any justice apart from the jumper and I don't think that wants to be the focus of attention.

The mauve/grey - Now that looks right to me out of the three options. We can see some of the lovely hues in the sky to compliment the mount and highlight it to the viewer who might otherwise miss such subtleties. We can also see some of the background, not too much just enough to tease and tantalise. Of course the main subject is nicely framed within the set up so yep all in all I agree with Steph lol.

Seemed a long winded way of saying it but there you go = hope it has helped now go and chill girl! :D

PS Hope you win the $$$$$$. ;)

artcrazy
08-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey Kory,
I DEFINITELY agree with the others, the last one is best as it picks up and enhances the lovely colors in the sky, as well doesn't cut out too much of the main subject. The circle mat is a great find but for another painting, I think.
I wish you luck!! I'm excited to hear you are going o enter this competition!!! Let me (all of us!!) know how it turns out, ok? You've got a great little painting there!!!! :clap: :clap:

katju
08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
I'll throw a curve ball in and then someone else with more exhibiting experience might be able to step in and add their two cents. My understanding when entering artwork into a judged show is to use a very light colored mat (white/off white) and simple frame so as not to detract from the artwork itself.

When you go to frame it for yourself perhaps, I agree with the others that you shouldn't hide the beautiful landscape you painted around the figures and make sure you have a decent border on your mat. I don't see any mauve in your painting so I don't belive this is a good choice. I prefer the darker mat because it is less distracting then the mauve and it makes me look right at the focal point because it picks up the darker colors in your painting. ;)

Kathy

Kathy

sundiver
08-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, I like the mauve. If colored mats are a concern, maybe there could be a larger, off-white mat as well.
But save that first one for something else. You'll come up with something just perfect for it one of these days!

kordelia
08-22-2005, 10:45 PM
thank you all so much for your constructive comments.... Goldie... i'm sorry, yes, i meant for you to judge the mat... the frames are those silver or gold colored bars, nothing more...but they're sturdy, and have to have wire for hanging..... good points, each of you, thank you....

i have to call there tomorrow and find out about the mat, if there is any conflict... thanx for bringing it up... i was told you dont hav to be a member of the Fine Arts League, but i want to get that answer again.... PLUS, you have to hand deliver on Sept 1, before noon.... i'm going to be out of town, so need to find out if i can deliver this week, or if i have to find someone who can do it for me.... arghhhhhh.... everything is always so complicated.....

i do love that circle tho!!! :( and yes, they are set askew... i liked that best! there was a small w/c of a starfish in it.... the challenge will now be on... i must find the perfect (small) something to put in it!! which WDE will it be?????? ............. thanx again, Kory

Redwine
08-22-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm liking the last option on that; but the mauve color is too dark. My eye keeps getting pulled away to look at it. The colors are working with the photo, but it just seems like too much mauve, what if you switched the two around? Or do you have a lighter shade of mauve? The picture was perfect from the begining, crop as little as possible.

kordelia
08-22-2005, 10:58 PM
we cross-posted.... re the darkness: Pete's hair and sweater are more 'taupe' (?) than shows here, much lighter; the mauve is also, and picks up mauve in the sky, which you cant see on here.... if i get to deliver it this week (by Fri maybe), i'll need to do this very soon.... that's why the panicky.... well, i'll call tomorrow and see what the lay of the land is.... not much said in the booklet they gave out.... unless they have a rule, i'm going with the mauve, i guess..... it's the only other sturdy metal frame (that they requested) that i have.......................... thanx again, Kory

Helen
08-22-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm with Kathy... if it's a competition and you're after the prize money I'd say stick with white or off/white. I've seen colored mats make it in to competitions but not often.

watercolorbill
08-23-2005, 03:31 AM
i would also go with a white double mat, and maybe a nice gold frame.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2005/32011-Untitled-1.psd.jpg

Check out this site.American Frame (http://www.americanframe.com/)

Once you learn how to navigate the site, you can select frames and mats and even upload your own artwork. It gives you a great perspective of the finished product.

Charlie's Mum
08-23-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm with kathy and Helen re light mounts for Exhibitions - they go with most people's schemes!!!!!!!
For personal use, I like the third mount/mat - the colours are nice and they set off the pic.

A double mount - darker inside (about 1cm), light outer - is often good, framing the pic but not detracting from it.

On a different note - if you can't get the masquepen, I'll send you one! Just let me know :D

lorna12
08-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree with Kathy, Helen and Maureen...white or off white matting is a must in most competitions...the painting needs to be the star not the matting.

silverflagon
08-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Thank you Helen, I'll remember that bit of information, it might come in useful sometime.

kordelia
08-24-2005, 12:57 PM
you're all wonderful to reply like this.....

called the Center yesterday to verify requirements, etc... they mostly seem concerned with sizeXsize and weight thereof... not the subject Matter or framing.... tho anything over 24 inches long has to be plexi instead of glass, etc etc.... giving me all this.... and no, dont have to be a member of FineArts... this is to recruit, i think....

get all finished and she remarks: you might bring an envelope to put the fee in for safekeeping......................... ..................... okay, i knew it was $$$ prizes and figures it had to come from SOMEwhere.... but wouldnt you think they would have mentioned an entry fee?????? typical Senior Center procedure, then they blame us for not knowing things, "senior moment", etc. AND it's not in the brochures AT ALL...... ba-lone-y!!!!................ it's $10, which is do-able since there's only one permitted per person anyway........... first 50 entries.... i'll work something out............. and W/C Bill... that is so incredible to be able to see yr very own pic ahead of time, matted and framed like the big kids do!!! wow!!! this is a very low-budget operation here... but i can dream, cant i???
thanx, all..... will keep you abreast!! and athigh..... :wink2: Kory