PDA

View Full Version : Saral Transfer Paper Woes

Susan Borgas
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Hello everyone. :wave: I have a question for those that may have used Saral wax free transfer paper. Rather than redrawing my design for a pastel, I have now twice used Saral transfer paper. It is clean and quick but a right royal pain to cover the lines with pastel. Other than rubbing the pastel into the lines with a colour shaper or similar, has anyone any ideas to help me make the process quicker. In the past I have used paper with pastel rubbed over the back as a transfer paper. It can be hit and miss with finer detail doing it that way. The Saral is excellent with detailed transfer of all the hard work that has been put into a drawing ready for the main support. Has someone has a better way of transferring a drawing quickly? Maybe I am expecting too much for a quick fix. :)

Cheers, Sue

Khadres
08-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I've had exactly the same problem with that stuff. Well, I also had a problem a couple times when using rubbed on pastel for transferring, too. Not sure why...but YES it's darned near impossible to cover the transfer lines! I'm beginning to think I should maybe just try charcoal rubbed on the back next time...at least that usually is less resistant to coverage! If anyone else has any tips on this, we'll both be glad to hear 'em!

Susan Borgas
08-22-2005, 12:14 AM
I used a soft touch approach with the Saral the second time but gave me the same result with difficulty with coverage. I haven’t had a problem with using soft pastel as a carbon though but is of cause messier and lacking the finer detail that I personally prefer.

K Taylor-Green
08-22-2005, 08:23 PM
I use a pastel or charcoal pencil to transfer. I don't rub it on, however. I just redraw the lines on the back of the tracing paper. You get all the detail that way.

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Have you tried fixing the transfer lines before you applied the pastel? That way the pastel has more tooth to cover - just a thought and I have not tried it, so experiment on something small.

Khadres
08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
That's an idea, Kat...I'll give that a shot next time I transfer something.

Susan Borgas
08-25-2005, 12:10 AM
I knew someone would come up with an answer. Kat your idea works :D :clap: . Also tried your suggestion with the charcoal Kate with excellent results :D :clap: . I am one happy artist here as you both have helped me speed up my work....thanks so much :wave:

LostInWonderArt
08-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Which color are you using? I use Saral white and haven't ever run into this problem. It blends right in. Usually I just draw with a neutral color pastel pencil straight on the paper but when I'm having trouble working something out, I work on cheapie paper first and then use the Saral white.

I use Mi-Teintes paper, and the white shows up really well.
Maureen

Susan Borgas
08-28-2005, 02:38 AM
Hi Maureen, It is Saral white traced on Art Spectrum paper.

LostInWonderArt
08-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Hmmm, then the type of paper might have something to do with it? It blends in just fine on Mi-Teintes paper for me.

Maureen

Susan Borgas
08-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah I did wonder if the paper had something to do with it as it does have a lot of tooth. I love the Art Spectrum paper though as it is what I learnt to pastel on.

raye51
08-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Easy fix, I use white Saral all the time, u just need "Elmer's Tac 'n Stick", reusable adhesive, (press and lift). It works great, I even use it to lift color. I cannot live without this stuff!
Raye

Susan Borgas
08-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Raye, I like using reusable adhesives as well for lifting colour off though would prefer to go over the top of the transfer lines with pastel, especially for detailed work. Love your website…….. you do fantastic artworks :clap: .