PDA

View Full Version : Ebay's "Gallery Only" Browsing Page

Paintbrush74
01-10-2002, 06:49 PM
While browsing under the category of self-representing artists, I clicked on the "gallery only" link. When this came up, I could not discern the rhyme or reason for the order in which they listed the auction titles. I realize that the featured presentations come first, but I'm talking about all the regular listings. The ending dates were all over the place....the 17th, the 20th, the 11th, and so on. Is there some easy answer that will embarrass me when I see that I didn't get it? Oh by the way, I was only browsing; nothing had been typed in the search bar.

Sumafra
01-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Paintbrush, I've often wondered myself how these things get sorted. You can pick 'new today' or 'ending today'. Sometimes after a search, they seem sorted by ending time. Often, there's not rhyme or reason to it. If anyone has an answer to this, I'd also be very interested in the answer. :confused:

Bendaini
01-11-2002, 01:44 AM
I dont think there is any reason to it except poorly designed websites. They could have put options in for sorting things out, but i think they just through them together, maybe by order that the people logged them in, maybe by order or who has the most to auction and therfore is making them the most money, your guess is as good as mine. :confused:

timelady
01-11-2002, 01:42 PM
When a site is as large as eBay's it is run by a database of some sort. The gallery images might be by listing date? Even browsing normal categories in normal view, it appears to be random. It isn't ordered in any way unless you choose to order it with the options Sumafra mentioned. That's how it's always been while I browsed ebay anyway - usually I do a search now to get any sense out of it. Even if it's random, that's still a method as far as the computer(s) running eBay is concerned.

Tina.

CarlyHardy
01-14-2002, 04:58 PM
I use the gallery page as a link from my descriptions now! Since I always use the gallery pic with my listing, I find my own gallery page by doing a search! copy the url and use it as a link from my descriptions. I call it "View Carly's Gallery of Auctions".

Just another help for my viewers who want to 'see' all my pics quickly!
carly

CathyD
01-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Carly, this is probably really simple, but I am not understanding it. Can you do an explanation for dummies (me)!
Thanks
Cathy :)

kjsspot
01-15-2002, 02:24 PM
Carly, the problem I have with this method is that it is horribly slow in updating. I put new works up last night and they are still not showing yet by that search method. So I'm thinking of providing both links.

Paintbrush74
01-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Posted by Carly : I use the gallery page as a link from my descriptions now! Since I always use the gallery pic with my listing, I find my own gallery page by doing a search! copy the url and use it as a link from my descriptions. I call it "View Carly's Gallery of Auctions".

Carly, would you mind telling me what you type into the search bar and from what page? I can't figure out how to do that. duh.....:confused:

Thanks,
Lenora_D

CarlyHardy
01-18-2002, 11:08 PM
The simplest way to do a link to the gallery feature for your auctions is to search for your own paintings by gallery only. For me its easy because I use carlyart in all my titles...but you can do it using your User ID. Then copy the url in your address bar at the top of the page. Go to your description and use the html for a link....
.<a href="url copied here">View (insert your name) Gallery of Auctions</a>

This will create the link to your gallery page.

I try to keep enough auctions going so that there is always one active on the gallery page. I know the lapse in time with ebay is terrible!
carly

CarlyHardy
01-18-2002, 11:24 PM
use the browse at the top of the ebay page....and insert Lenora_D in the search. When the search finds all of your auctions....choose the gallery only option.

You will get this url
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=lenora%5Fd&ht=1&maxRecordsPerPage=100&category1=550&combine=y&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&st=1

Copy it into the html for a link.
carly

Sumafra
01-19-2002, 01:12 AM
Carly, what a wonderful idea. I didn't quite get it either, but I have done it and it works. Thanks again.

CathyD
01-19-2002, 01:59 AM
Thanks Carly, now I get it! That is a great idea, thanks for sharing! :clap:

Paintbrush74
01-19-2002, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys. For some reason, when I try to use links in the description, they don't work at all. I do it exactly the way you said Carly. Maybe it's because I've been doing this as a revision. Maybe that puts a glitch in it. Is there a way to use the html without quotation marks?

A couple of weeks ago, I started putting my i d in my titles, also. I think that after I "build a name for myself", the I D in the titles will be helpful.

Lenora_d

CarlyHardy
01-19-2002, 04:00 PM
Lenora,
check out the www.ezadpro.com site and you'll find a free downloadable program for creating your description page at ebay. They have templates where you can add html for links that make it easy.

I used their program for awhile until I got my descriptions created like I wanted them....then I just save a copy of the description in a notepad file. Change it with each painting and copy it into the description form at ebay.

Saves a lot of time and effort.
(the link should work with or without quotations...I doubt that is the culprit causing the problem)
carly

Sumafra
01-19-2002, 07:27 PM
Lenora, I've had that problem too. I've discovered what my problem was, you need to put the http:// in front of your address and your need the final / at the end of it. That was the problem for me, could be it's your too. Check it out.

Paintbrush74
01-19-2002, 08:10 PM
Well see, I read on Ebay that if you put quotation marks in your html that it will break the code....I do put the http:// and the final / in there also. In other words, here is an example of what I have typed:

For a larger view than is shown below, go <A HREF="http://www.louisianapainter.com/mums.htm">here</A>.

Carly, I'll check out the easyadpro site. I do have a template full of html tags that I use in all my auctions. It's a real time saver! I keep it on notepad. I have built breaks, paragraphs, and underlined subtitles into it and I think it's easier for the bidder to read than if I had just typed a glob of information.

leesmith
01-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Hey Carly! And everybody!

I use your code for the gallery pix thingy, Carly and it worked!

I'm so thrilled! I see all these neat little thingys people do and haven't a clue how to do them.

I want to try to link from my webpage to my auctions too. It would seem that would be done the same way???

Thanks Carly and everyoe for all your great tips!

Lee