PDA

View Full Version : Dove Wip

camton
08-20-2005, 08:05 PM
This is a new painting I just started on. I do have the sketches I did on the "drawing and sketching" channel. I don't know if I could link it here or not.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287444 - I guess i can LOL.
I've been really motivated to get into this art thing again. Today I went to get some work framed that was kicking around for a few years and the owner was very interested in doing a show. So I thought this might be a good thing to get myself motivated again to paint.
With the picture I need to figure out a background for it. I thought maybe something with blurred out leaves, something contrasting the bird and branch. I'm not sure yet. I'm also thinking of colour theory stuff here. Any ideas ?

JustjoGA
08-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi, Camton... First, welcome to the WC Watercolor Forum... I just
went over and read your D/S thread... your drawing skills are very
good... On the bird and the branch, I would say you need more color,
more darks and highlights, to give both the 3D appearance your painting
needs ... I am sure other more experienced members will address your
background question...

Also, could you tell us what paper you use, the size, what paints, etc.
Gives us a better idea of what you're working with.

Jo in Georgia

camton
08-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks Jo
The paints are "winsor and newton" and the paper is "peterboro PK5 illustration board". The size is 10 x 14.
With the painting I thought before I get into it too much I should figure out what I want for the background.

JustjoGA
08-20-2005, 10:03 PM
You're right on that, Camton... the background you use will
definitely affect and reflect on your focal point, which is the
bird... That's why I suggested to punch up the darks and
highlights ... to make him stand out ...

Jo in Georgia

bluegenes
08-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Your drawing skills are fantastic! I can't wait to see this as it comes along. I agree that some blurred leaves in the background might look nice. Why don't you practice a few different backgrounds and hold it next to the picture to see if you like them?
(this from a person who never does this, but just jumps in with a background!!! LOL)

Patty

Enia
08-21-2005, 01:32 PM
This is already so beautiful.

camton
09-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Thank you everybody.

I just started the background the other day. So far it seems to be coming along. Jo and Patty I took your advice and decided to just jump in and decided to do a dark background to make the bird jump out.
Thank you Enia for the comment. So heres an update on the painting.

bluegenes
09-02-2005, 06:31 AM
This is coming along nicely!

Patty

mustcreate
09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
this is progressing well!!

good plan to make the bird pop with a dark background....love the texture you've created there!!

excellent work on the feathers

waiting for the next installment

em

Becky-Bob
09-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Lovely!! :clap: MORE!

camton
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi all

Well here is my latest progress on this painting. It's been a while as I have been busy working on some other artwork. With the photo of it some of the values are off a bit. It seems to have more darkeness in the shadow areas than what is really their.
The next thing I intend to work on is bringing out the shadows in the leaves. I've been thinking of what to use for darkening the green and also about warm and cool colours. Unsure as of yet, I feel I want to try some different things here than what I would normally do.
Anyways thanks for having a look and any comments or advice would be great....thanks .

mustcreate
10-05-2005, 05:58 PM
oh my!!

what a stunning background!!

this is looking terrific....please don't take so long for the next update;)

em

bluegenes
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Wow! I agree! Really like the background like this....what a lot of work that must have been.

Patty

Lynn Quinn
10-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Welcome! This is looking so good, I'm starting to turn green! Your BG is unbelievable! (In a really, really GOOD way!) I don't have the patience for that much negative painting!

BTW, have you visited the watercolour Wash Cafe? In there you'll find a thread about next summer's Ontario WC Meet, started by Strawberry Wine. Not too early to join us WC'ers there for a great time painting together!

jaydiva
10-09-2005, 08:06 AM
What a background!!!!! Fabulous!!!
I would go crosseyed trying to paint something like that.

More please!!!!!

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/32313-tn1.jpg

my new art website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

Fairy
10-14-2005, 02:28 AM
Hi Camton, welcome to WC!
You are doing a fantastic job!!! I can feel the loving strokes of your brush - it is so obvious that you enjoy every second of your painting time! Please, continue!

Tunek
10-14-2005, 03:58 AM
Wow! For me the first background was already beautiful...I didn't expect anything new on it anymore...but the finished backround is just unbeliavable! great...so is the bird...:clap:

ale.l
10-14-2005, 04:17 AM
Hi, I am equally amazed with everything. How do you do the background? Negative painting? That's amazing.
Since you are still working on it may I offer a couple of points along the way. I hope you won't mind.

I would vary the colors and values in the backround a bit. However, developing a background may overpower the focal point and compete with it. Try to be mindful of that. Also, there is a danger of a cut and paste look where the bird and background are painted separately.
What do others say?

JustjoGA
10-14-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow!! I hadn't looked at this for aa few days, and that background
is amazing... I like it as it is now, but after your bird and branch
are done, you still might want to put in a few dark areas to highlight
the bird a little more... This is great work, Camton!

EDIT: I went back and read that putting in the darks IS your next
step... LOL.

Jo in Georgia

camton
10-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi all and thanks for all the comments. It really helps me to see the painting differently as it is progressing.
With the background I still have a lot of work to do.I want it to be very dark and not too detailed. What is painted their is just an outline more than anything. And with the bird I hardly even started it. I do agree with the cut and past thing. I still plan to continue with working on the background to the depth that I want it.
When I first started the picture I had no idea for the background. I just wanted to get into the painting part. I tend to rush into it without working out the composition properly before I start.
And thanks again for all the comments. Thats what I love about this place. Thanks again.

Nandie
10-16-2005, 05:17 AM
I just have to add my comments and say this is looking amazing. The background has such depth, yet the values are still so shallow!!! I will be watching this develop, and hopefully learning something too!!!

Hurry back with the next step!

seedy
10-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi.....
Methinks you know where you are going without any help ;-)......but will 2nd the motion regarding too much detailed b/g.....
Good stuff.....

camton
12-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi all ....sorry I haven't worked much on this painting. I have been so busy with work lately. But since I'm on holidays I've just started back on this peice. So heres a little update, not much but a start.
I've started a bit on the background and at the moment I have started working on the bird.

Sandy1
12-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Welcome! I am speechless!:clap: :clap: :clap:

camton
12-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi Sandy
Thanks for the comments.
I ended up checking your website out and loved your work. I was wondering if you are from Barrie, Ontario. Thats where I am from. Anyways thanks.

Klint

coastside_artist
12-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi klint - nice to see you have time to work on the dove again. I'm really enjoying watching your progress.

camton
12-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been working a little bit on the bird. I've been trying to work with getting the paint to blend better. Its been a long time since I've gottin into the art thing and its like learning all over again as well as trying to remember how I did it before. I haven't painted since the 90's so it hasn't been that long.
I've been having a hard time getting the paint to blend smoothly with the feathers. This time I have been trying a different method of colour choices. Its yellow ochre and I think it is a french altramarine blue and either rose madder or alizarin crimson. I used the tubes up and threw them away.LOL. I've just started learning about the properties of the pigments - staining, non - staining, transparent and semi., opaque/semi. I wonder if mixing different ones together can effect how easy or hard it is to work with.
I have so much that I am trying to learn at once. In the past I aways just played around with the colours until I found what worked and avoided the other ones.LOL.
Anyways if anyone has any comments would be great.
Thanks
Klint

bluegenes
12-30-2005, 07:19 AM
Klint, whatever you're doing is looking great! That background could be a painting in it's one right!

Patty

Sandy1
12-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree with Patty. Looks great, keep going. :clap: :clap: :clap:

camton
12-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi Sandy and Patty,
Thanks for the comments. Today I went and did a little shopping for some art supplies. After a little research on the pigments and there properties I found I like non - grandulating pigments ( a least for the detail parts on the bird). Also I picked up some new brushes - not the cheap ones that I would normally get. It seems to have made such a difference with the process - I don't fight with the paint the same. Now I'm excited to get down to more work with the painting.Thanks again.
Klint