PDA

View Full Version : Pink woes - help needed

marionh
08-20-2005, 05:25 AM
Help wante please.
I grew some lovely large lilies in my garden last year and took some pics. I managed to paint a pastel picture for a present and was quite pleased with the results. On looking through my photos yesterday for inspiration, I decided to try the lilies in watercolor.

However, I don't seem to be able to get the pinks correct. They are very subtle but mine seem to come out very harsh or over-bright. I am trying to use permanent pink - I've found that just a hint of cadmium yellow tones it down a bit but still not to the correct shade. I've also tried combinations with permanent rose, alazin crimson, cadmium red and winsor red. Also the darker areas and shadows look yuck! Any suggestions on colours to use gratefully received.

I have attached the reference photo for information
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2005/42113-Lilies_13.JPG

painterbear
08-20-2005, 05:45 AM
The pink in your lilies is beautiful, soft, and subtle. Do you have M. Graham Quinacridone Rose or Daler-Rowney Quinacridone Magenta?

On the color values chart I made of my paints, those two, in their palest mixture, seem closest to the pinks in your flowers.

Sylvia

Ottersong
08-20-2005, 12:19 PM
May I snag your pix to match the color? I love working with pinks and do a lot of pink flowers. I have a hunch that you may need to use a little white or a tqad of naples yellow in your pinks.

Otter

marionh
08-20-2005, 01:29 PM
painterbear - Thanks. I have a very limited palette at the moment. So I will take up one of your suggestions as I find this problem with pinks all the time. Just did not know what other colours would work.

Ottersong - May I snag your pix to match the color? Yes of course. Use the pic in any way you want. I'll be interested to see what you may suggest. I have a couple of pics like this, do you think they are suitable for the library?

laudesan
08-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Your pics would be fabulous for the ref image library.

Painterbear said the same this I was going to about the M. Graham Quinacridone Rose. ;)

sarathered
08-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I agree with ^^. Quinacridone Rose, perhaps with some white in it -- I find that adding white gives almost a milky look and texture that I like a lot when painting flowers.

Ottersong
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Marion, sorry to be so long getting back to you. I worked with every pink/red in my wc cabinet. Quin/permanent rose is the color that you want. Wash it waaaay out for the very lightest pinks. For shading, use your favorite shading mix that goes to the violet side or maybe Sylvia or char or Uschi could help you with the shading. I doesn't seem to matter what brand that you use of quin rose, all turn out about the same.

Another suggestion.... If you use a white do get some titanium white, it is removable if you need to. Chinese white when dry is like glue on your palette as well as your painting.

Otter

marionh
08-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Thank you all for your help. I certainly will get some Quin permanent rose and try it. I will let you know how I get on and the results for the shading. It's great to have people to call on for help, as otherwise I would probably just give up!
Marion

ArtsyMom x3
08-23-2005, 01:45 PM
OPERA.....I believe is the name of an "azalea pink" sort of color....it stays bright, and light...or can be vivid pink...it washes out and doesn't go flat. It is a glowing pink sort of color. I'll try to find out who makes it...

Holbein makes it....let me see who else..winsor newton calls it opera rose...

go for it! It should hit the spot!

Sue Galos
08-23-2005, 02:04 PM
quick word of caution - opera is a fugitive pigment - meaning it will fade, and fairly quickly at that - so if you aren't worried about longevity - go for it. I too used it for a while before I found out about the fading - it IS a fabulous colour and the closest I've come to replacing it has been the quin rose

Sue

ArtsyMom x3
08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
quick word of caution - opera is a fugitive pigment - meaning it will fade, and fairly quickly at that - so if you aren't worried about longevity - go for it. I too used it for a while before I found out about the fading - it IS a fabulous colour and the closest I've come to replacing it has been the quin rose

Sue

wow, wouldn't you know it...guess i won't use it in my portraits, then!! I have quin. rose...just loved the luminosity of that opera....typical...too good to be true!! thanks for the heads up!

Sue Galos
08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
I know - I still reach for it now and again :crying: someone will eventually make a substitute