PDA

View Full Version : WDE 8.19.05 - Oscar WIP, the Dolly Lamba, and MI

ottwork
08-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Here's what I have so far...

Oscar at about 30 minutes - about 12x14 pencil on drawing paper. His eyes are too far apart, but I'll get that corrected shortly (if I can stay awake :eek: ).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/64088-P81900081.jpg

and the Dolly Lamba - sorry for the title...started thinking about the other caption thing and just got carried away. This one is ink on 140lb rough WC paper, and is kind of a mess. I started with laying in a wash for the background and then doing some negative painting to get the head - I've never really done that before!! So - her head's a bit wonky, but hey - she's blue and pink - what the heck kind of sheep is she, anyway??:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/64088-P81900041.jpg

Off to bed, now...more tomorrow!!

Flame Lily
08-20-2005, 12:08 AM
LOVE the blues and pinks for Dolly! The dog is looking great too, I'm so impressed. I'm off to bed too, it sure is getting late :D

connievanwinssen
08-20-2005, 01:25 AM
I love the sheep and the dog is going to be gorgeous too! :)

Pine Cone
08-20-2005, 03:47 AM
These will both be wonderful. I love the colors for the sheep. Exhilarating and imaginative.

Dewi
08-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Good Diahn, Dolly is cute and looking forward for tomorrow.

*Deirdre*
08-20-2005, 06:30 AM
I love the sheep too - and the dog is going to be even more gorgeous when you've fixed his eyes! :wink2: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Helen
08-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Great color and espression on the sheep... Oscar is coming along nicely too

robynsin
08-20-2005, 07:35 AM
I love the dog but the sheep is inspired. Also enjoyed your blog.

robyn :)

ottwork
08-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone! I was up till the wee hours working on Oscar - I'll have an update soon. I've fixed his eyes, but now his forehead is WRONG!! After I've had my coffee, I'll fix that and post again!

artcrazy
08-20-2005, 09:30 AM
They both look great!!! Like everyone else said, I love the colors in the sheep!! so imaginative and works really well! so wonderful to see her come alive through ink! :clap: Oscar is looking great, too - I'll be back soon for your update! :)

HRH Goldie
08-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Diahn don't get so fanatical about what is wrong and just enjoy! You are doing a terrific job on both of these and they are wonderful interpretations - I shall be tuning in later for updates. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ottwork
08-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Diahn don't get so fanatical about what is wrong and just enjoy! You are doing a terrific job on both of these and they are wonderful interpretations - I shall be tuning in later for updates. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Christine - I know I shouldn't obsess like I do, but I just want to honor the memory of poor Oscar, the sock-eating shepherd. Did you read that eulogy? OH - just makes me want to cry!! Anyway - I'm finished, even though I see much that could be fixed. This paper wasn't meant for so much reworking!! So - here's Oscar - after about 2 1/2 hours of fussing over - 12"x14" ebony pencil on 70lb drawing paper...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2005/64088-Oscar_resized.jpg

I've got a couple more printed out that I want to tackle - maybe later tonight!

dragonlady
08-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Diahn , great sheep, lots of character. Like the drawing of Oscar, especially the eyes.

Pine Cone
08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Your update of Oscar, and your warm comments brought some tears to my eyes. Your empathy shows through in the quality of your work.

cmwynn
08-20-2005, 09:38 PM
If you're counting sheep and just drift off the sleep, you would probably dream of a Dolly lamba just as she is, in dream like colors.
The rendering of Oscar is stunning. I don't see where you would change anything if the paper agreed to it.

ottwork
08-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Joy, Pine Cone and Connie - thanks so much! I'm a sucker for big black doggies - including my own Oscar!

stoney
08-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Here's what I have so far...

Oscar at about 30 minutes - about 12x14 pencil on drawing paper. His eyes are too far apart, but I'll get that corrected shortly (if I can stay awake :eek: ).

and the Dolly Lamba - sorry for the title...started thinking about the other caption thing and just got carried away. This one is ink on 140lb rough WC paper, and is kind of a mess. I started with laying in a wash for the background and then doing some negative painting to get the head - I've never really done that before!! So - her head's a bit wonky, but hey - she's blue and pink - what the heck kind of sheep is she, anyway??:D

Off to bed, now...more tomorrow!!

What kind of sheep? Drunk. Genetically engineered. "In the pink."
(Scampering away giggling)

Chiers
08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
"The Dolly Lamba" ha ha ha ha, I great! I love the colors you used for her. And oscar is terrific too. Well done!

Elainepsq
08-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Love the pink sheep, it has a look of such serenity!

guilliame
08-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Hey Diahn :wave: maybe the eyes are a bit far apart but there gorgeous,love the sketch so far :clap: :clap:
the dolly made me smile,i guess you are going tro take me in and shear me now :D

Charlie's Mum
08-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Nice work Diahn! The drawing of Oscar is good - you've done his memory proud!

Love that sheep! There'll be quite a farmyard of Ink creatures soon - she's a super children's book character! :D

ottwork
08-21-2005, 05:36 PM
What kind of sheep? Drunk. Genetically engineered. "In the pink."
(Scampering away giggling)

:) ROFL...stoney - you're a hoot!

Sherry, Elaine and Guilli - thanks for the nice comments!!

Thank you, too, Maureen - Oscar seemed like a loveable boy! And I guess I'll have to paint an ink barn to keep all my critters in!! :D Let's see - cow, rooster, lamb...just need a horse and a pig to round it out!!

mbeckett
08-21-2005, 06:28 PM
well if you want to knit a blue and pink sweater, you need wool from a blue and pink sheep! :evil: :D

Love the colors on the sheep, and a darn fine drawing of Oscar too!

artsy_lissa
08-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Wonderful drawing skills. I bow :wink2: :clap: ~ Lissa

YYcat
08-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Diahn, love the sheep, colorful, You did a great job on Oscar. The eyes are so good. :clap: :clap:

ottwork
08-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Wonderful drawing skills. I bow :wink2: :clap: ~ Lissa

:o thanks :o

stoney
08-22-2005, 11:43 AM
:) ROFL...stoney - you're a hoot!

Sherry, Elaine and Guilli - thanks for the nice comments!!

Thank you, too, Maureen - Oscar seemed like a loveable boy! And I guess I'll have to paint an ink barn to keep all my critters in!! :D Let's see - cow, rooster, lamb...just need a horse and a pig to round it out!!

(big boyish grin and a wink)

stoney
08-22-2005, 11:45 AM
well if you want to knit a blue and pink sweater, you need wool from a blue and pink sheep! :evil: :D

Love the colors on the sheep, and a darn fine drawing of Oscar too!

And then she decides she wants green highlights on the sweater. :eek: ;)

Flame Lily
08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Love the update on Oscar :clap: His eyes are hauntingly beautiful!

bjcpaints
08-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Wonderful work Diahn! I love them both!!
Barbara

Stushnov
08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Gooooolly Diahn!!! They are both incredible. I love the name..."Dolly Lamba". That is too hilarious!!! Good one!

Fleur
08-24-2005, 05:40 PM
What great pieces! That lamb is fabulous but so is Oscar!!! Wow and well done!
Marie-Dom

lorna12
08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Great title! :D Even better art work...wonderful work on both of these!

artcrazy
08-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Diahn, I somehow missed the update to this thread, and never saw the update on Oscar till now! You did a GREAt job, capturing his calm but sometimes goofy expression, and the ears are perfect! Those sure are
oscar's ears!!! The eyes really are beautiful, that's pretty amazing in graphite!
so, your big black doggy, is he a shepherd or what kind of pup? Oscar was BIG, 90 lbs with thick, thick fur. I still miss him a lot, 2 years later, I wanted to have him around a lot longer.
thanks for drawing him and putting so much effort and feeling into it. :)

ottwork
08-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks everyone!

Nicole - My Oscar is a mutt of questionable parentage, but adorable nonethess. We adopted him from the shelter when he was 10 weeks old, and they told us he was from a boston terrier breeder whose Dam had been violated by a Jack Russell. Well - we expected a 15-20 pound dog, but got a 50 pound one instead. We wouldn't trade him for the world, though. He's had both knees operated on in the last year for kneecap problems, but we we would do just about anything for our Oscar. If I could find someone to clone him I would - he's a great big loveable lap dog!

If you want to check him out - go to my website - there's a painting of him there!