PDA

View Full Version : WDE AUG 19th IMAGES HERE!

artcrazy
08-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Welcome to my “Day in the Country!!” Newfoundland is more rugged than pastoral, so they aren’t exactly typical country scenes. (cows and sheep by the sea, for instance!!)

I have uploaded all images to the Reference Image Library, most of those are larger resolution images. However, there are a couple that I didn’t have a larger file size for, and a couple that are only marginally bigger (took those particular photos when I was just getting the hang of my digital camera and didn’t understand to take high res shots!). MOST do have bigger resolution copies in the RIL, though. I hope that helps some of you. The ones that don’t have a larger size in the RIL are #1, 5, AND 16.

I’m not sure how to post a direct link to these photos, but Ok here goes a try at least!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9249
If that doesn’t work, just go under my user name to see my reference library images.

I took a fair number of these photos, but I have given credit to those I am using by other members of my family - including “Shell,” my sister (Shell LeDrew) - a budding photographer in her own right!

I’m on dial- up, so please refrain from commenting until I have all images posted!! THANKS!

1. Sea sheep by the sea shore! A sheep at the Dungeon Park in Bonavista, Newfoundland. The dungeon is basically a huge sea arch (I have a photo of a smaller one later in this series). To get in to see it you have to drive through the park, which is basically a community pasture filled with sheep, horses, and cows all lounging on their pasture by the sea. This is the same sheep as in the Invitation, and I also uploaded the invite photo to the RIL as an alternate to this one if you want to use that one!

2. Cow by the Sea - another from the Dungeon park.

3. Macro Horsies- an up-close shot of my horses Dolly and Cherokee. Thought it might be fun. Dolly is 30 years old and I’ve had her for 23 years! (since I was 12!). Cherokee is her 20 year old son. I’ve dragged them everywhere with me! Hubby knows we are all a package deal! There is also an alternate photo of them in the RIL, (on page 3 of my photos - simply entitled “horses” - I uploaded it eons ago, so it doesn’t have WDE in the title, but it is soooooo cute! Photo by Shell

4. Dolly in 1983- this was taken on the 1st anniversary of having bought Dolly. Boy, was I happy! (A 13 year old in her GLEE!) she is really a great horse! Photo by my Mom!

artcrazy
08-19-2005, 06:06 AM
5. Oscar - A photo of Oscar, our big black German shepherd. Oscar came to us as an SPCA rescue in 1999. I won’t go into all kinds of detail like I could, but he was a wonderful dog, unfortunately passed away in October 2003. Do I ever miss him! Here is a link to his “eulogy“, which I posted here at wet canvas after he died. It was written by my dog- crazy husband who found Oscar at the shelter in the first place. Photo by Shell

Link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145639

6. Buster in the lake - my aunt’s Golden Retriever, Buster, playing in the lake at Pasadena beach, Newfoundland last summer. Another absolutely lovely animal! Photo by Shell

7. Mr. Jellyfish - ok, not sure if this is Mr. or Mrs., or if jellyfish have Mr’s and Missus’ anyway!! A recent shot of a jellyfish swimming off a remote island in Placentia Bay, Newfoundland.

8. Pete & Skyler - my brother and my son, at Pasadena Beach, taken last summer.

artcrazy
08-19-2005, 06:14 AM
9. Puddle jumper - my son Skyler doing what all kids everywhere love to do!

10. Tree Gazer - Skyler, amazed with the sight of the Christmas tree, minutes before he stripped the tree of the decorations!!!!!

11. The Honeymooners - my hubby and I at the end of our gift opening get-together, the day after our wedding. Just chilling and relaxing on the couch. We were sitting around and playing musical instruments with our friends. Photo by my cousin Frank.

12. Apple of “her” eye- Photo by Shell. This was not taken in Newfoundland, obviously!!! My sister took this photo of her boyfriend in Cuba (I think)

artcrazy
08-19-2005, 06:23 AM
13. A Bug’s Life - bugs on a flower in Pasadena, Newfoundland. Photo by Shell

14. Purty pink flower - a nice shot of a flower - oh my goodness, I‘m not good with flower names - a coneflower maybe? photo by Shell!(again!)

15. Watton’s Antique store - a shot of an old store in Pasadena. Newfoundland. This store was the general store/post office/train ticket sales in our town, long before I was born. It probably opened somewhere around 1930. Over the years it has morphed into various little convenience stores/restaurants/etc…..for the last few years was an antique store - this summer has been turned into a rental place for kayaks. The shot was taken from a short path which leads to the beach.

16. Sea Arch in tickle Cove - Tickle Cove is a VERY small community on the Bonavista Peninsula. There is a short but lovely walk out to the sea arch. There were tons of icebergs around the day I was there. Oh, if only I had a good zoom lens on my camera! Just beautiful!

Bonus Photo- 17. - Pig and Sheep - a photo of a sheep and pig from just down the road. They would run around the pasture together. I think the pig is in love?

Here is my little “twist” - I though it would be fun to have a “caption contest” (of sorts) for this photo. Just an informal contest, with a grand prize of ….well..ok……….I have nothing to give away…….but to win the accolades, admiration and laughter of your WC! Buddies!!! Just throw a caption idea into your thread if you like (whether you do the photo or not) - heck there doesn’t even have to be a winner!! Just for fun!

Hope you all like the photos and hope I haven’t rambled too much!!! I’ll definitely comment on all threads this weekend, and HOPEFULLY will find some time to participate! (sooooo busy with my little guy, horses, etc etc lately!!!!!!!). And poop, got called in to work today after not being called in for almost 5 weeks!! How’s that for luck! (That's why I'm posting earlier than I had planned) I’ll be back later today!!!!!!

Have fun!

connievanwinssen
08-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Lovely photos! I'm just not sure what caption contest means. I know what a contest is, but what do you mean with caption. :confused:

dragonlady
08-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Terrific photos, I'm off for the weekend (and great that you posted them early or I would have missed them) and won't be able to take paints with me, which is a shame as these are crying out for colour. So I hope to do some drawings and paint one or more next week.

HRH Goldie
08-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Hiya woooooo hooooooo I am gonna treat myself to do something wacky this weekend - at first I groaned when I saw the first set of images - too hard for the likes of me but then you struck my imagination big time. I was wondering where it had gone lol!
I just know you are going to have a ball with hosting and so are the participants - I know we are going to have sore fingers typing responses to this week - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :wave:

ottwork
08-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Oh - such great photos to choose from! I'll be back to make my selection this afternoon! Oscar will be a must - I have my own black coated Oscar, so it's apparent I'll be doing a big black puppy tonight!!

Connie - a caption is a descriptive title for a photograph - like you might see under a photo in a newspaper or magazine article. This one begs for a funny caption, for sure...I'll be thinking...

lorna12
08-19-2005, 10:29 AM
This is going to be a fun wde...wonderful images, Nicole!! I'm going to try and get something done before I leave for camping but I think I'll even take one or 2 images with me!

marionh
08-19-2005, 10:35 AM
I was just deciding which picture to do and settled on the water and rocks and thinking this would look good in pastel when I remembered that my camera is on the blink - just suddenly stopped working - I feel quite bereft whithout it as I use it so often. So I won't be able to post up, but may try it anyway and post later. :o

Caption: Did you hear the one about the Irish cow, English cow and Scottish cow.....

Stushnov
08-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Nicole,

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.:clap:

I'm hoping to get to a couple later today or tomorrow.

artcrazy
08-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Connie: I am trying to think up an example for a caption. Basically, it would be your idea of what the pig and sheep might be saying. I have my own thoughts as to what they might be saying, but I'm gonna leave it to whomever wants to play for now. :D

Glad to hear people are liking the images.....whew! I was trying to come up with a variety of subject matter and emotional reactions. I hope people have fun!!

I'm sooo happy someone wants to do Oscar :) :o Can't wait Diahn :)

see you guys later! (I'm supposed to be working!!!)

Helen
08-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Great images.... I've got my eye on 4 of them... will widdle down later... right now I have some paintings that I really need to finish.

leojacko
08-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Great pictures !

Caption - Pig to Sheep

"If they paint our portraits I'll be tickled pink "

Nina

kordelia
08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
very exciting assortment!!!! i have to confess something tho: i have a severe bug phobia....seriously :( .... my stomach lurched when i opened that flower/bug pic.... but i put it on my list (the bottom, to be sure), and if i get thru all the ones i've picked, i'm going to try and be brave and do it... i can intellectually see that they are 'pretty' in color maybe, but ooooooooooooooo, ewwwwwwwwwww..... but i'm really going to try it..... thanx to you and your sister........ some great fun shots.... is that really an iceberg behind the sheep in the first one???? wowwww!!! :eek: Kory

Fleur
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
What a fabulous selection of pictures. It's going to be so difficult to choose one! Shall be along much later this weekend, but will be here!!!
Thanks and see you all later!
Marie-Dom

Curious
08-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the photos. There are lots of photos to choose from. Hopefully I'll get something up this weekend, but first I have a goose painting to finish.

leojacko
08-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Another caption
- Photo 1 - Sea sheep

"When icebergs are around you really need to wear your fleece !"

Groan, groan :evil:

Nina

artcrazy
08-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Nina - or maybe even just a wool sweater- hee hee - oh more groans required here! ;) that's cute. The tickled pink caption is so cute too!!! I love that, they both made me smile :) .

Kordelia, sorry about the bug pic!!! I just loved the colors and unusualness (prob not really a word!) of the whole pic. Those are cute bugs! :o sorry!

Curious, Fleur and Helen, thanks for the nice comments. hope to see ya around!

silverflagon
08-19-2005, 02:44 PM
I was just deciding which picture to do and settled on the water and rocks and thinking this would look good in pastel when I remembered that my camera is on the blink - just suddenly stopped working - I feel quite bereft whithout it as I use it so often. So I won't be able to post up, but may try it anyway and post later. :o

Caption: Did you hear the one about the Irish cow, English cow and Scottish cow.....

Marion I live near Derby, and often travel into Notingham for some of my art suplies, and I need to go to Shaws on Tuesday. If you could! Drat that won't work will it, as you need to post your progress two hours after declairing:(

I could of scanned in photocopies and e-mailed them to you, but the time limit won't let us :( Sorry I can't help after all:(

silverflagon
08-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Nicole I've picked the two pictures of Skyler, he is just so cute that I couldn't resist him :)

I have also taken a copy of the antique store and your horse, and I promise to at least try to paint the horse during the week if I can and then the store if I find yet more time to spare. :rolleyes: Beatiful pictures and I will really enjoy drawing Skyler and his puddle :clap: :clap: :clap:

bjcpaints
08-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Nicole, These are great! Our printer died and I am hoping my DH brings home a new one. My alternative would be to put a drop cloth in the computer room and try to paint in there!
TTYL\Barbara

Flame Lily
08-19-2005, 05:07 PM
:clap: Love your photo's! Just got home, toddler is napping... off to draw :wave:

Emma Rose
08-19-2005, 05:13 PM
"Ewe are so sweet to me" says the pig and "your'e piggin wonderful" replies the sheep.

Great pics...buster calls (golden fanatic, have my own, who does not do water!)
Em

Cherie Carter Magee
08-20-2005, 01:40 AM
This is a really beautiful set of pictures! Your Skyler in the puddle is calling me! and I think the Cuban beach scene looks like fun to try. I'll see what I can get to this weekend.

Orchidacea
08-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Sheep: "My heart's in your hams..." Pig: "Will ewe be mine?"

Alternative, from The National Enquirer or some such tabloid: "Bestiality behind barn doors? International film star Porky (of "Babe" movie fame) caught in flagrante delicto with an unidentified ewe.."

These are wonderful photos. I don't know how I will decide...though I have to work all weekend, so I may not get to any of them :(.

lorna12
08-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Good captions...I'm chuckling away here and I should be in bed!

My caption...Pig: mmmmm, ewe smell heavenly to me!
Sheep: Watchit, porky, this is virgin wool!

I didn't get anything painted on the weekend but I will tomorrow...make that later today!