PDA

View Full Version : Lake Winnipesaukee NH

Michael24
08-18-2005, 08:37 AM
This is a studio painting of a subject that I have waited years to paint. It was a favorite location of numerous vacations and I have done this painting several times over in my mind. I dug up some images for reference and finally took a stab at it. It is a radical departure from my usual daytime plein air works.

Much of this was a study in colored greys. The water was underpainted in ultramarine blue and then the greys were added to the dry surface. I am not sure I want the island, trees and dock to stay dark blue and have the notion to neutralize them to a dull black (with straight ultra blue and aliz crimson)

Want to know if this seems to work well or am I missing some glaring errors.

comments and criticisms are very welcome. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2005/32147-lake_winnipesaukee.jpg

JamieWG
08-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Ooooh, works for me, Michael! I love the blues and oranges!

(I deleted the extra post for you. :) )

Jamie

Bart W
08-19-2005, 06:53 AM
I see no "glaring errors" Michael. I just see beautifull and interesting colours! Maybe jou can gain some more depth by defining the left foreground corner better?

Robert
08-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Hi, Michael. One of the things I noticed is how much stronger the composition looks if I scroll up to just beneath the forward dock on my screen.

Michael24
08-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the supportive and instructive comments.

I like the crop suggestion. It creates a lower panoramic feel to the composiiton. I will paint this again in a larger than 12 x 16 format and incorporate the suggestions.

Thank you.