PDA

View Full Version : Iris - WIP

alfredart
08-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Nitsa wanted me to do a WIP so I gotta do what the master of glass asks. So, here we go with anew one. I found this in the ref library, a photo by Granny R. She has several in there and I may be doing more of hers depending on how this turns out. Great photos. Anyway here's the layout so we'll see where it goes from here. I hope to get to throw some paint tonight after work.

Peace,
AL

krystakaye
08-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Not just Anita...we ALL want to see! Good start! Thanks for sharing! Krysta

Wayne Gaudon
08-17-2005, 07:10 PM
brave .. nice drawing

Marty C
08-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi Al,
Great photo, should make for a fabulous piece!

Kerch
08-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Looks promising. I love flower closeups. I'm going to watch this closely.

Papierboi
08-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Irises are my favorite flowers. I can't wait to see how this comes along!

David

Anita Murphy
08-18-2005, 05:34 AM
Hi Al - looking forward to this as the only work of yours I know are your amazing drawings. Pulling up a chair to watch! :D

Nitsa
08-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Oooooooooooh!!!!!

Watching?......Just you try to get rid of me matey! :D

alfredart
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Wow guys thanks for the kind words, I needed that. For those who know me know that with painting I'm like a fish out of water. This is so very new to me and I have sooooo much to learn. Mixing paint is one of those things I don't know how to do. So trying to get a peach color ... well, I gave up and went with my old standy... earthtones. So far, and it may not change much, I'm using Red Oxide, Cadmium Yellow Medium and White. And most of this is done with a #1 round brush, which wouldn't be bad but... did I tell ya this is on a 16X20 canvas? Hmmmm, this could take awhile. Anyway, I got a start on this last night after work so here's where it stands now.
Again I want to thank you all for the comments.

Peace,
AL

Anita Murphy
08-18-2005, 12:59 PM
WOW AL!!! Looks to me like you are no fish out of water but taking to paint like a duck to water! This is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we have a close-up please!!!!! Now I am not sure at all about doing this in graphite - yours will be a hard act to follow!

TauCetiV
08-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I cant find the the bowing(worship) down icon :clap:

alfredart
08-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Here ya go Anita, just for you.

Peace,
AL

Anita Murphy
08-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Thank you AL :D - It's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nitsa
08-18-2005, 08:33 PM
I love earth tones!
Beautiful start AL...Fish out of water?.....I reckon you could swim on sand! ;)
Loving the close-up...keep 'em coming!

Oh....and mines black, no sugar please! :D

krystakaye
08-18-2005, 09:35 PM
A fish out of water??? PA-LEASE! This has such a delicate look to it! LOVE IT!

ottwork
08-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Brilliant start, Al! I'm looking forward to watching this progress. Thanks for taking the time to do this WIP!!

alfredart
08-19-2005, 03:04 AM
You guys are waaaaaaaaay to kind. (But I love it.) It's funny, I wanted to learn to paint so I could do landscapes. So what do I end up doing? Flowers. Go figure. Also I realized tonight while at work. When I first started painting this year. (this is my fifth real painting) I wanted to paint like this guy or that guy. And, often wondered how I would develop a style as I've done with my pencils. For I'm told by most, "I could pick your work out of a crowd. Tonight I realized that this is my style, it's what I do, the way I do it. Maybe it's better for me that I didn't go out and buy a bunch of books on how to paint. But grab a brush and start in. I don't know... it was a thought.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments all.

Peace,
AL

Lady_Morgana
08-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Al,

your 5th painting? (looks suspiciously at her brushes and thinks of throwing them away)
What i saw on the close up is sooo great. I will sit here and watch this as i know i will learn lots from that (earth-tones eh? a #1 round eh? okay i have those too... *thinking-hard*). Just hoping you will post closeups and talk about what you are doing. *grin*

For sure it was the right thing for you to just grab a brush and start. You are doing great. Wish i could learn that fast without any book or instructor to advise me.

Wayne Gaudon
08-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Maybe it's better for me that I didn't go out and buy a bunch of books on how to paint. But grab a brush and start in. I don't know... it was a thought.

.. there is nothing wrong with learning the basics (theory and application) so one can push and pull them in their own direction, but when all is said and done, style is what evolves from within and no one can do your style as well as you can.
I paint the way I do because it's what works for me and you should paint the way you do because it's what works for you. Get to it but never fear acquired knowledge as it won't take from you but will definately add to you .. (there will always be a state of confusion when you tap into new waters, but you always sort it out and keep what applies and toss what doesn't).

TauCetiV
08-19-2005, 09:06 AM
alfredart- I have tons of books, I watch TV shows about painting, I rubberneck on to what artists are doing here and in art shows and festivals. Try as I might I cannot reproduce other peoples work. So I have a healthy admiration for other people's creativy and the force that drives them to paint "that way". I always end up making my paintings look the way I see fit that express me.. That may include some odd subjects sometimes... Its funny I took an art workshop and try as I might to do what the instructor said in directing style...I ended the painting my own way-- nothing to do with advice or perspective. I pick and choose what advice to take -- I started painting wanting to do landscapes - then developed and interest in still lifes and now I am back to landscapes. Its all good. You have a style that is very pleasing to the eye. Just keep going!

bjcpaints
08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
I cant find the the bowing(worship) down icon :clap:

LOL! Beautiful subject Al, and yours is looking gorgeous!
Barbara

alfredart
08-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks all for the comments. Yes Wayne, your right. I'm sure I will always be learning and developing my style but for now this works. But I will never stop trying new things and getting faster (I hope) once I fugure out how the paints behave. If I had I wouldn't be painting now but sitting around with my pencils and drinking coffee.
This will be a long WIP as some of you know that I don't get alot of time to work on my art. I get off at 2:00 am and by the time I get home and get started it's around 3:00. So I'm good for a couple of hours and it's bed time.
Anyway, here's what I got done last night, added another color into the mix, some black to bring up the darks.

Thanks for your comments and lookin'.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
08-19-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't read books either Al...Mainly because I enjoy what I do soooo much, I'd just rather paint, make my own mistakes and learn by them...Right or wrong, I guess it's just me...If I do it, I'll remember it! LOL!
Nothing wrong with knowledge at all, I'd just rather find it all out from practical experience than from reading.
I do love to see others WIP's though, I love to watch people work.
The biggest part for me is that I enjoy every second...and I sooooo do! :D

D'ya know....I don't own a black in any medium except pastels...I guess it's because I started with watercolour and preferred to mix them so the colours showed through the shadows :confused:
It's certainly working for you though, it's pumped those darks up nicely and we're starting to see real form now.

Slow/Fast...no matter....I've been waiting for this and I'm here until you're done...I wouldn't miss a minute! ;)

Keep at it, it's gonna be grande!

Anita Murphy
08-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm with Nitsa on the black issue. At art school my teachers took away my black and forbade me from using it! Now I use Payne's Grey whenever black is called for or mix up greens and reds together.

Al - this is looking really nice. I remember the madness of petals doing a peony - not sure I would go that route again! I can't believe you don't start working on this till the middle of the night. You must have wonderful lighting!

alfredart
08-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Good lighting?? Not really, I do need more.
Anyway guys, thanks for the comments. Okay I'll loose the black on my next ones. For my colored pencil works I quit using black along time ago so I should have known better for this. I was able to get abit more done last night. I'm now forced to use a larger brush as areas are getting bigger that have to be filled. I also added another color an orange. I noticed something last night as I was working in that I keep forgetting to look at the ref. photo while I work. I guess that I get into it so much I forget to look up. So as this goes it's not going to look like the photo and alot will be out of my head. I'm out of my head most of the time so I guess it doesn't really mater. (ha)
Anyway, thanks again for the kind words and here's your update.
Thanks for hangin' with me on this one guys.

Peace,AL

MysticMonk
08-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the CloseUp. Looks wonderful

MysticMonk
08-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Forgot to ask, you mentioned the colors you are using. Are you using any medium or straight from the tubes?

alfredart
08-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks Michael, I'm using straight from the tubes. I haven't gotten into th mediums yet... something else to learn.

Peace,
AL

champagneharley
08-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Amazing work.
I tussle so much with acrylics.
Regards,
Jillian

Nitsa
08-21-2005, 04:53 AM
Oh Al...This is looking really beautiful...I love that it's in your palette too! ;)

Now I'm gonna need some info though....What size is this? Surface?

Re: black, no need to stop using it, if it works for you then go with it. My comments were not intended to steer you away from black I just suddenly realised that I do not own a black.
However...I did purchase a balck gesso and a burnt umber gesso yesterday and I can't wait to use them! :)
I do personally feel that mixing a black gives you more interest in shadows especially but your painting is deffinately not suffering from it's use at all, this is going to be sooooo good!

Anita Murphy
08-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Are you enjoying this? Its so beautiful already - the finished piece is going to be amazing!!!

alfredart
08-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Anita, this is 16X20 in. on stretched canvas and I have now moved to larger brushed. Am I havein' fun???..... You bet! I think I'm starting to learn to control the paint better as I put it on and what I can do with it after it's on the canvas. I was hoping to get more done on this than I did but my granddaughter is with us from Texas so my time is limited going back to my studio. Anyway, I did get some time in last night and here's where it stands now. I think I'm going to do three of these another closeup at 16X24 and one of some maybe cut in a vase or something at 18X24. Thought it might make a good grouping. I just have to keep my wife away from these. She's already figured out that I'm using the same colors that are in our bedroom and we still have a big empty wall.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
08-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanx Al!
It's moving along really well now you've changed to a larger brush and it's looking just beautiful.
I think a set of 3 would be wonderful and I like the sizes you have selected, most of the sets I've seen are all one size, nice to be different! ;)

alfredart
08-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Just an update from last night. Started to work in my background as well, in the photo it looks solid but it's not. (try and get a better photo when finished} It's more modeled like leather. I have figured out what I'm going to do with this last night and it should be very different when done.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
08-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Wow, you're REALLY jogging along with this one...and it's REALLY looking stunning!

I have figured out what I'm going to do with this last night and it should be very different when done.

Hmmmm....Watcha' gonna do, watcha' gonna do....

I have no patience! :evil: LOL!

HRH Goldie
08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Al, how infuriating your last update won't load from the thumbnail!!! :mad:
I don't know if it is just my puter as the others loaded fine - you tease you!
Beautiful work and it matches the colours in my lounge perfectly. :evil: :wink2:

Anita Murphy
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Just amazing Al - you have inspired me to get my paints out again - but not before I try out my derwent drawing pencils - a la alfredart - see what an inspiration you are!!!!!

alfredart
08-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks alot guys.
Anita, you'll have to wait on seeing what I'm going to do but I will tell ya that this is only part of a much larger painting. I promise you'll be the first to see.
Christine, good to see ya over here. I hope this one loads for ya.
Anita, I hope you have fun with those Derwents.
Last night was a night to push this thing to the finish, or get closer anyway. I blocked in all the main colors now all that's really left is to pick out the detail. (the really fun stuff) I already have my next pannel picked out so I'll start the next painting before the paint is dry on this one. The way it looks now by the time I'm done with this it will have taken six weeks to complete. I may have to stop and do a quickie somewhere in there to keep my mind.
Anyway, here's an update.

Peace,
AL

BTW
08-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Thank you for taking us along step by step. It's a great learning too.

Serenity
08-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Al, your work is absolutely amazing! Thanks so much for sharing a WIP with us.

Serena

alfredart
08-24-2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks alot guys. This has been alot of fun up untill now. The rest of the time spent will be on details, details, details. I really do hope to have this done soon so I can start on the second one.

Peace,
AL

HRH Goldie
08-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Hi Al = yes that one loads up fine and it is going to be a real beauty. Your good lady is right that the bedroom may be just the home it needs as it has an 'oozing sensuality'. :wink2:
You spotted I have been absent of late but hopefully I will get to post some more over in the acrylics where I first discovered Wet Canvas and friends.
I have already had it mentioned by dear Maureen lol. But she was one of the ones that persuaded me over to the WDE side and end up spending all of my spare time commenting over there. I wish the threads etc would load up quicker and then I would get to view a whole lot more.
I shall be dropping in for the next update.

alfredart
08-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks Christine, it's good to have ya back.
Well all, here's an update from last nights session. Just bringing out more detail and trying to figure out what I'm gonna do with this thing. I got yet another idea last night while working on this but I don't think I want to spend the time it would take to do. This one alone is going to take two weeks and I don't think I could handle several months without picking up my Derwents again. This is a battle that I'm going to have to work out on my own I guess.
Anyway, here it is.

Peace,
AL

HRH Goldie
08-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Al you have chosen the perfect colour as a foil for this beauty. Burnt umber/sienna type colours are my favourite for putting behind florals and with the tones in this flower it is going to look superb.

Lady_Morgana
08-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Al,

this comes out absolutly beautiful. The colors are great, fascinating what you can achieve with those earthtones. I came home yesterday from work and was eager to see what you have done so far, as i found out how far you have come i was stunned. It would have took me 4 month to come that far (not that i could do anything as decent, not even near!). Really great work!

Anita Murphy
08-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Wowowowowowow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alfredart
08-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks alot for the comments guys.

Well, after last night here's where I stand now. I can now see the end of this one. I hope tonight will be the finish for this so I can start on the next panel.

I've been fighting with myself figuring out what I'm going to do with this or how to do it. I'm going to do the something that I've never seen done before with this. But, we won't go into that just yet. I can say this is going to take awhile and it's gonna be huge, this is only the start so please bear with me. I promise it's gonna be cool.
Anyway, here's an update.

Thanks for lookin'.

Peace,
AL

Wayne Gaudon
08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
one can feel it flapping in the breeze .. very detailed work .. not my cup of tea but I admire anyone with the patience to see it through. Great eye for suttle change.

Serenity
08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
It looks great, Al!! :clap: :clap: I can hardly wait to see what your plans are for the panels when finished ~

Charlie's Mum
08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Absolutely fabulous Al - like pleated/ruched silk - so soft and delicate.

I can understand your wife wanting this for herself!!!!!!!!

Question though - what happened to the Shelf and Flower painting you were doing for that bedroom wall? ....... or is this another empty wall ? ;)

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to read this thread - I'll keep up to date now!

Fozbot
08-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Al, who knew you were so multi-talented! i didn't but i do now! that flower has some real WOW factor!! it makes me think of flamingo dancers for some reason. loved watching it progress!

Anita Murphy
08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Perfect! I can see the flamenco dancer connection Billie made too, swirling skirts and ruffles!

alfredart
08-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Thank you all so much for the comments. Wayne, I know this is a far cry from what you do. I really do wish I could work like you do.

Okay, I have to call this one done. I could do more to it but it would be overkill and I want to move on. Along with this is the layout for the next pannel as I will keep it on this thread as well as the others. After all it's all part of the same painting. I got this laid out just mins ago and will start on it tonight after work. So hang in there guys, this is gonna be a long strange trip indeed.
The new one is on stretched canvas and it's 18X24. I will be using the same colors on this one as well.

Again, thanks so for the comments and your time to look.

Oh yes, Maureen the other painting is hanging over our bed and my wife is thrilled. I still have a large blank wall on one side of the room though.

Peace,
AL

Linarty
08-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Just beautiful Al. I will be watching with much interest. Thanks for making this a wip.

Linda

alfredart
08-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks Linda for stoppin' by. With alittle work done last night I was able to get a start on this one. This is the second in a series that will make up a single piece. We'll see how this goes, for now I'm still trying to figure out how to put together the framework for these. Although I have plenty of time to figure that out as there will be five or six paintings in this. Confused??? Me too!
Anyway, here's an update and thanks for takin' the time to stop by.

Peace,
AL

Anita Murphy
08-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Ah a whole bouquet! Interesting concept having 6 - placement will be interesting. In a long line, 2 x 3, 3 x2. You do realise Al, that by the end of 6 you will be certifiable! :D
Great start to the #2

Serenity
08-27-2005, 05:13 PM
It's lovely, Al.... :clap: :clap: I'll be following this thread with great interest! The second one is already off to a great start. Thanks for sharing WIP pics ~ :)

Lady Carol
08-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Well, to come back from holiday to see this treat has been a real pleasure....and it doesn't end......

alfredart
08-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks so much for the comments guys... in a long line...hmmmmmm. Nope. Just to keep you guessing, the canvas sizes are 16X20, 18X24, 12X24, 9X9 and 30X48... so far. Gonna keep ya in the dark for abit longer. I was able to block in alot of color yesterday and got started on some of the detailing. This one even larger than the last is going much faster. But, I did have more time to work on it last night. I'm going to start another tonight to have something to work on while the paint drys on this one maybe that will help speed things up as well.
Anyway here's where I stand now with this.
Again thanks for the comments and thanks for watchin'.

Peace,
AL

Serenity
08-28-2005, 04:07 PM
You certainly are progressing quickly with this one.......looks fantastic too! :)

Anita Murphy
08-28-2005, 05:04 PM
All different sizes, hmmmmmmm, interesting *scratching head in puzzlement*. This one is moving very fast and looking lovely too!

HRH Goldie
08-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Al, the first thing I have to say is that this is soooo reminiscent of Georgia O'keefe - are you sure she hasn't taken over your body? :wink2:
The strength in those bold strokes is very powerful symbolism indeed and of course O'keefe loved irises and painted many granted with bold colour. I bet she would have loved this. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I can see this is going to be a huge thread lol so will be hovering in the wings but I suspect I know where you are going with this. By the time you finish though I think your wife won't be able to get her hands on it as it will end up a huge exhibition piece or for some large corporation! :D

alfredart
08-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks so for keeping up with this and your kind words.
My wife has snatched these up and it will be hung at home. I did tell her that if by chance I was able to sell it that it would be sold. She promptly set a price one it for me. "No less than $1,000.00". (and then she wants half, LOL) So with this it looks like it will be hanging at home for quite some time. I'm just glad I have a wall with enough space to put it on. Christine, we'll see soon how close you are.
Anyway, the work slowed down some yesterday as I worked detail and tracking the storm in the gulf. I did as well layout the third piece of this puzzle. Canvas size is 12X24 on this one and I will be adding more color to it as well. I expect to finish this up tonight as the weekend was a great help.
Again, thanks all for the comments and here it is as of now.

Peace,
AL

Anita Murphy
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
This gets more and more intriguing! I am totally glued to this!
I have to say is that this is soooo reminiscent of Georgia O'keefe - are you sure she hasn't taken over your body?
Very O'Keefe!

Helen Zapata
08-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I've been lurkng along in this thread and thoroughly enjoying watching you work! I had to decloak now though. I LOVE this second one! I love how you painted the details, and the composition is lovely. What an amazing set this will be! I don't blame your wife one bit for snatching them up!

Helen

alfredart
08-30-2005, 01:27 PM
"I have to say is that this is soooo reminiscent of Georgia O'keefe - are you sure she hasn't taken over your body?" Hmmm, that may be pushin' it abit guys. I do love her work and could see me drifting to that style with ease. But I still have along way to go before I reach that level. Remember I'm very new to painting and I've got alot to learn. I did find out her husbands name was Alfred, thought that was cool.

Anyway, thanks so for the comments.
Helen, I'm glad you came out of lurking... welcome to my nightmare.

The second pannel is now done with this update. I'll get on the third tonight. I know there is a void in the lower left corner that looks abit strange but, that will be taken care of in the end. I hope with the three day weekend coming up that I will get started on the 30X48 canvas as I sould have the time to get a good part of it knocked out. I'm adding another size into the mix as I've figured out how to get a 24X36 into this.
Anyway, here's the 2nd.

Peace,
AL

bistus
08-30-2005, 01:52 PM
They are just lovely. Thank you for taking the time to post the progress pictures.

Serenity
08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
I think it looks lovely! :clap: I'll be looking forward to seeing #3 ~

HRH Goldie
08-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Love the stamens on that one Al. :)

alfredart
08-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks so for the comments guys and stickin' around for this long road we're on. No. 3 is started and on it's way. With any luck it will be done in a few days. This is the 12X24 and I hope to start on one of the larger ones this weekend. I just picked up a portrait commission yesterday so now I have to work it into the mix as well and try to find time to work on this project every day as well.
Anyway here's #3.

Thanks for lookin'.

Peace,
AL

Serenity
08-31-2005, 03:48 PM
This one is going to look so good when finished, Al. :clap: WTG on the portrait commission. You're certainly keeping busy. :)

Anita Murphy
08-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Al - I really like this one, the punch of green is going to be a great accent. I wish I had your focus!

Becky-Bob
08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Your work is very impressive....very, very impressive!! I reall LOVE it!! ;) Can't quit watching...watch so much I forget to comment. There's a compliment in there somewhere.

HRH Goldie
09-01-2005, 06:19 AM
The shift in design works well in this one - the emerging bud is lovely and the green is almost an inklike glaze in appearance. It helps draw the eye to those papery bits that you get at the base of the bud - looking good.

Dewi
09-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Oh so wonderful from #1 - #3 now with green too, thank you for sharing.

alfredart
09-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Thank you all for the comments and for sticking with me on this one. I too think the new colors are adding much to this overall. With last nights addition this is begining to take shape now. I hope that it will go faster now that I know where I'm going with this pannel. I'm still working on how to put these all together once I'm finished. I did get some help from "The Goddess of Glass" who right now is the only one who knows what I'm trying to do or go with this. One thing I'm wanting to do is to take the Iris from it's begining to its end, so there will be a dead one in this mix somewhere. Another thing that I'm doing with this is when I have the sketch on the canvas I put away the ref pic. From there on I'm on my own and feel that the painting is coming from me. Anyway, here's what I got done last night.

Again, thanks all.

Peace,
AL

Serenity
09-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I guarantee that I'll be watching this thread to the very end, Al.....LOVE the progress so far! I like the idea of the various stages of the flower and it will be a treat to see it all put together at the end. :clap: :clap:

Dovie
09-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Wow!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I love your work and they all are simply gorgeous! I too have been lurking in the background, totally awestruck. I think your wife is right, but I don't think they would stay on the market long at $1000 each. I can't wait to see the last one finished. Thank you for posting your progress.

alfredart
09-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Serena, you're very kind. Thanks for coming along for this one.
Wow Dovie, I wish I could get a grand apiece for these. But that's gotta be the price for all as when this is finished it will be one piece. Besides I only ask $50.00 for one of my portraits, this is just her way to keep this once it's done. Ya never know, I think now she's worried that the wall isn't going to be big enough. (ha) At this point I'm not even sure how large this is going to be myself. Im kinda playing it by ear as they say.
Again, thanks so for the comments.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
09-02-2005, 08:14 AM
I did get some help from "The Goddess of Glass" who right now is the only one who knows what I'm trying to do or go with this.

LOL!...Al, there is no trying about it...You are doing it and sooo well. It's looking fabulous....reminds me of glass painting for some reason, kindda art deco looking too. Beautiful!!!

Besides I only ask $50.00 for one of my portraits,

PLEASE tell me that's a typing error!? :eek:

Charlie's Mum
09-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I think you were born too late Al - you must be a throwback to Art Nouveau! :D
I really am impressed with the development of this whole work, and green with envy! :D :envy: :envy: :envy:

alfredart
09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Anita, so good to have you back and no not a typing error. Art for me is a hobby so I try to keep my prices to where everyone can afford to have art in their homes.
Anyway, this one's on a roll now and I should be able to finish it up tonight, (I hope) Then I can get started on the large pannel.

Alittle better sunlight today so you can now see the background on this one.

Hey Mum, you slipped in on me there. Thanks for the comment, good to see ya still hanging around.

Peace,
AL

Charlie's Mum
09-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Truly inspiring Al. :D

Anita Murphy
09-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Besides I only ask $50.00 for one of my portraits
Have you heard of inflation? Time to put those prices up!

This is so beeeeaaaauuuutiful!

3chaway9
09-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Absolutely perfect.

Nitsa
09-03-2005, 04:22 AM
AL...I have replied to your PM and offered my two penneth but I just had to announce my admiration publically too....These are just gorgeous :clap:

Anita....Those rose drawings are superb!!! :clap:

Mark_xiii
09-03-2005, 04:42 AM
Don't call him an artist until you see him PAINT!

Your style is screaming out on these Al! It's great to see you working in paint, and doing such a wonderful job.

alfredart
09-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I really want to thank you guys for the comments. You all are very kind.
Anita, I'll keep an eye on the leaves. This piece has been alot of fun bringing the green into it and now the whole thing is starting to look like something. I finished this last night and got started laying out the big one. The new one is 30X48 and is the reason I wanted to get started over the long weekend on it. Although I have a ton of stuff to do this weekend I should find some time to spend with brush in hand.
Anyway, here's the finished buds and the layout for mumber 4.

Thanks so for all the kind words and stopping in to have a look see.

Peace,
AL

Helen Zapata
09-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Oh MY! I love how this came out! The greens give it a jewel-like touch. AWESOME!!! I thought it was going to be my favorite, but now that I look at the layout for the big one.. OH MY OH MY!!!! I can't wait to watch!!!!!

Helen

Serenity
09-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Keep up the great work, Al......I'm lovin' it!! :clap: :clap:

tishtosh
09-03-2005, 06:40 PM
hey.. your work is exquisite! a joy to view!

Dhuot
09-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Al :wave:
Long time no "see" :rolleyes:

I had fun viewing the steps to this....

The petals are very......dutch !!!
:)

Nice work

alfredart
09-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you are enjoying watching this unfold. Dutch? Hmmm... I'll have to check into some Dutch painters.

Well, after all I had to do and all the running around I had to do yesterday I got the dogs to bed and was able to sit down and get started on the forth pannel. Again, this is the big one so, it's going to take awhile to finish. I really hope to get a chunk of it knocked out this weekend tho'.

Here's an update to my nightmare. Funny now working on this I've gotten to the point where I don't miss my pencils. Scary thought, I'm so new to painting and so out of my confort zone but yet I haven't wanted to pick up my Derwents and draw. I have to though 'cos I do have a portrait that I have to get started on this weekend as well. But even with this I found myself going to Michaels and buying more canvas while they had it on sale. I guess somewhere I have to find a balance between the two.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments and here's an update.

Peace,
AL

Mark_xiii
09-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Al, I'm so pleased to see you working in paint, and to hear you say you're enjoying it!

Serenity
09-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Off to another great start with this one, Al! :clap:

Leslie Pz
09-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Wonderful thread, WIP and work!!! Thank you! Very nice, watching this come together.
-Les

Anita Murphy
09-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Checking out this thread is one of the highlights of my day! My man, you have a new string to your bow. You are an inspiration! Tomorrow I am going to dig my paints out of hibernation. I cannot wait to see the whole ensemble together.

*Deirdre*
09-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Al....stranger! So this is what you've been doing instaead of drawing! Well it's a good job you're doing so well here....as I can't now tell you off for deserting us! :evil:
You are obviously as good at painting as you are at drawing! I love it! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

valchina612
09-05-2005, 05:18 AM
Al, this is stunning. I'd missed you, and now I know you are excelling in
Acrylics, which is my favourite color medium too. This is a fantastic WIP.
Will be watching. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

kieran
09-05-2005, 05:34 AM
Al,
Very nice. Makes me want to do something similiar.
Keep up the good work. :)
Kieran

Judi1957
09-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Had to check this out too Al.
Wow-they are beautiful! That color you have for the flower is lovely!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

alfredart
09-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Wow guys, thanks for the comments. It's good to see some of my friends make it over here. Dee, Val really good to see ya, you've been missed.
Kieran, not real sure if you want to start something like this. I've been working on this series now since 8/17 and I'm so looking for the end to even come in sight.
This piece (all of them) is going somewhat faster than I thought it would. Once this one is done it will be number four and I'll have three more to go. They sould go alot faster since they're alot smaller. Still it's alot of time to put into a painting. The size of this should be around 5X5 1/2 feet when finished.

Anyway, I want again to thank you all for the kind words.
Here's my update for today.

Peace,
AL

NodakerDeb
09-05-2005, 10:29 PM
I have no words because I am too busy GASPING. Catching my breath... and picking up my eyeballs off the floor.

OK, got my breath...

One word... Perfection!

Such talent you!

Deb

alfredart
09-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Okay Deb, you can pick your eye balls up now. Thanks.

Here's an update from last nights sitting. For the most part now is the leaves. Once I get the rest of the detail work done on the flowers the rest should go rather fast and I can start on the next one. Three left if I figure right. I do need to start building the frames for this soon though so I can put it together at the finish of my last pannel.

Anyway, thanks for lookin' and putting up with this long thread.

Peace,
AL

Bertoni
09-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Al:
Truly wondrous work!! Both of them. Superb! Thanks so much for showing the progression as you painted!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

Matti
09-06-2005, 03:15 PM
It looks beautiful this far!

Serenity
09-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Well, you're past the half-way mark now, Al. #4 is looking fantastic!! :clap: :clap:

alfredart
09-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. I didn't really feel like working on this much last night. I had a rough one at work and put in almost 12 hours. But, I did sit down and get alittle done by starting to add the greens. Still blocking in but starting to take shape.

Again, thanks.

Peace,
AL

Serenity
09-07-2005, 07:49 PM
This could well be my favourite, Al.......they just keep getting better and better. Love the feel of movement in this one ~ :clap:

alfredart
09-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks Serena for the comment. I really want to get this one over but I had a really rough night at work and my head was throbing. Still I want to work on it some everynight and post everyday so I sat down and made myself do something. Still just blocking in more leaves to get the fill. I hope I can get more done tonight so I can start the highlights and line work.
Anyway, here's todays update.

Thank for lookin'

Peeace,
AL

Nitsa
09-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Al, hope the head feels better!
I am loving the motion you have going on in the foliage. Is this the central piece?

valchina612
09-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Al, this is looking fantastic. There's not a thing about it that I don't love. I hope everything at work calms down for you, as you've been having a rough time lately. This is a masterpiece already. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NodakerDeb
09-08-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm still checking in on this one. Waiting for the finish.

Eyeballs, securely in sockets :)

Deb

alfredart
09-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks alot for the comments guys.
Deb, sorry but the end is aways off yet.
Anita, yes this is the center piece for this nightmare.
Val, good to see you checking in dear. Thanks for the comment.
Well, I'm off to throw paint. Update tomorrow.

Again thanks all.

Peace,
AL

Helen Zapata
09-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Helen passes around fresh bowls of popcorn to everyone and settles herself back into her favorite corner to watch.....

alfredart
09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Mmmmmm popcorn, thanks Helen. Hope you made plenty.
My update for today is more blocking of color. Trying to get the background filled in. I think once that is done (I hope tonight) I will be able to move right along and this won't take too long to finish up the rest. At least the rest of them won't be as large. I plan on three more another 16X20 a 12X12 and a 9X9.
Anyway all, thanks for following this.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Al, just popped in to firstly pinch some popcorn because I was peckish :p and secondly to slide a CD into the player and get you all fired up again :music: ...You sound deflated....Now....Bob Marley for some jammin'?...Joss Stone for soul?....or Guns 'n' Roses for a wake-up call?.....Hmmmm!

Just so you know....I am loving EVERY bit of this thread and after seeing how many views it's had, I'm not alone....Grab a strong coffee, shout at the top of your voice to release those tensions and do what you do best....Create!

You are doing a grand job my friend! ;)

alfredart
09-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks, G&R helped, Paradise City got me goin'. Then I thought I'd mellow out abit and popped in some Dylan and got started some more detail work. I found out brushes don't make good drum sticks, you get paint splattered all over the place. (ha) I really hope I can get this one done soon, I'm starting to tire of it I guess or it's the fact that I'm still very much under the weather. A stomach cold of some sort I think. It's a real drag but I will not give up on this and will work on it every day. (just have to take alot of breaks) Anyway, here's todays update.

Peace,
AL

Serenity
09-10-2005, 06:29 PM
It's progressing beautifully! :) I hope you feel better soon, Al.

valchina612
09-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Al, this is absolutely BRILLIANT. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You have got my fingers itching to bits, to get back to Acrylics again, but like you, I haven't got the flamin' time. What a %&**#! of a word TIME is :crying:

You take care and get better quickly -- you've gotta start taking it easier.

alfredart
09-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. Here's the days update. I've worked on more detail as I felt that I've been rushing this one alittle trying to get it done. The background is now finished so I can work on getting it detailed and finaly finished up. I thought last night that this will be the piece I sign when this is all put together. Anyway here 'tis.

Again, thanks.

Peace,
AL

Anita Murphy
09-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Looking good, better, the best!

Reinhard1
09-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Al, this is nothing short of spectacular. You are really excelling in all forms of art. :clap: :clap: :clap: :envy: :envy: :envy:
Would you mind answering this question for me, please? Would you consider Acrylics appropriate for portraits, are they more difficult than watercolours, or should one let this avenue for other topics?

Nitsa
09-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Coming along beautifully.
Can I suggest that you sign ALL of them, perhaps on the sides of the canvas...If ever they were to be separated from the frame you make, it's important everyone can clearly see who the genius is that painted them! ;)

bjcpaints
09-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Just checking in to see your progress here Al. It looks really beautiful!
Barbara

alfredart
09-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks so much for the comments all.
Reinhard my friend the questions you ask are a tuffy for me as I've just started with acrylics. Now, I have done watercolors years (years!) ago and I will say that this is much easier for me than they were. As far as for portraits... I'll get back to you on that one for I'm plan on doing a portrait soon. I've seen portraits done with acrylic I just don't know how easy it is. I'm really too new at this to give you a firm answer on acrylics as to what can be done with them although I expect you can do anything with them that you can do with oils. Just faster. (ha)
Anita, I will sign them all even if it's on the back of the canvas, thanks. I'm really glad you're hanging around.
Anyway guys, I got the rest of this blocked in last night. I would have gotten alot more done on it but I finished the portrait commission I was working on yesterday as well. It won't be long and I'll be laying out the next canvas, a 16X20 then I have to stretch the last two as I want them to be square.
Again, thanks all for the comments.
I'll give ya all some closeups on this when finished, right now I'm having trouble getting a good shot of this right now. Bad lighting.

Thanks so for lookin'.

Peace,
AL

Reinhard1
09-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Alfred, thanks for the info and I'll be looking forward to seeing your acrylic portrait. This promises to be interesting and a good source to learn.

alfredart
09-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Okay guys, I'm going to call this one done for now and start on another canvas. Three to go.... whoo hooo! I hope soon to be building the frames for these so I can put them together for the end showing. Seems like I've been working on this for so long now I just want to get done and start something else. No, it won't be an Iris! I don't think I'll be painting any of these real soon.
Anyway, here it is.

Thanks for stickin' with me guys. I hope it will be worth it in the end.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
09-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Al is that the correct image?

*Deirdre*
09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Yer gettin' punch drunk Al! Not surprised after all the hard work you've done! :evil:

They are beautiful!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nitsa
09-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Ops!
Only the first image downloaded first time I visited...sorry Al...Gorgeous as always!

Anita Murphy
09-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Ditto what Dee said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joannie
09-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Just joined wet canvas via help from Nitsa and, as I paint florals too, fell in love with your irises, your style and freedom.

Can't wait to see it finished. I'm the serious side of Nitsa! LOL!

Lady Carol
09-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Stunning. Stunning. Stunning.

Love watching the way you paint.

alfredart
09-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Anita thanks, I did post the right one though. Glad you're hanging in there.
Joannie, welcome, good to here that Anita has a serious side as I was begining to wonder. (ha)
Carol thanks, glad you stopped by.
And Dee soooo good to see you out of the drawing forum. Thanks, I do have to get back over there again soon as I really miss you guys.
Anita, you're a dear.

Well guys, I got lazy last night. I didn't paint... I picked up a new movie that I've been waiting on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and couldn't wait to see it. I used to watch it on TV years ago and made a bee line to the store when it came out yesterday.

Anyway, I did get the next one laid out. This one is 16X20 so it should go abit faster.

Again, thanks for the comments guys.

Just a reminder to anyone new to this thread. This is not a series but a single painting. At least that's the way I see it. All the canvas will be framed and put together as one. Sound strange? It is... I've never seen it done before so we'll have to see how it goes. It looks good in my head anyway.

Peace,
AL

Anita Murphy
09-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Hitchikers guide to the galaxy - now there is a blast from the past! That was SO funny!!!!!!!

It looks good in my head
I wish I could get all the bits in my head tied together, I am seriously puzzled ('scuse the pun) over this one!

jocelynsart
09-14-2005, 04:22 PM
This is very beautiful and designey. I did not realize you worked in acrylics.
Jocelyn

HRH Goldie
09-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Al, thanks for posting the line up - actually that reminds me of what I was going to say last time - these have a definite feel of as if they have been done in pen and ink when looking at them from a distance. I think it is because of the linear effect they give. Reminds me of isobars I think they are. I have seen contour maps of objects and that is like these also. I love the way they are turning out = you sure have a lot of patience. Are you going to make the frame yourself? I presume so as a framer would charge a fortune.
I can't blame you for taking a break to watch a film, but to get all of this done in the time frame you have, is nothing short of amazing. {{{{{{{{{Now how come there is no popcorn left?}}}}}}}}}}} :p

alfredart
09-15-2005, 02:52 AM
My wife ate the last of the popcorn... how about some chocolate?? Yeah, I'm gonna build the frames. A framer would never take this one on as it's going to be very complex. Mater of fact I just got paid for a commission tonight so I'll be off to Lowes to pick up my lumber for this.

Thank you Jocelyn, I just started with acrylics, this is like the fifth thing I've done. Why I started this one I haven't figured out yet. I just get these crazy ideas sometimes.

Anita...puzzled huh? You're getting warmer.

Anyway, thanks guys for the comments and the look see. I'm off to throw some paint.

Peace,
AL

valchina612
09-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Al, your Iris Painting is totally outstanding. It has been an absolute privilege to be able to watch you work, and bring it all together. I can't wait to see what all four will look like when you have them framed. I can't wait for number two either. Fantastic work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

alfredart
09-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Thanks Val, but... you're going to have to wait alittle longer as there are going to be seven. I'm on the down slide now as I have the other three worked out already.

Peace,
AL

alfredart
09-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Alittle work from last night and here's an update. So glad I can see the end of this what has been a very long road for me. I'm not one to work on something for a long time so this has been a real effort for me. Really I'm just glad to be off the large one. These next few will be alot faster. I started out with the greens for a change, wanted to use what was left on my plate before going to another one and threw that one away.

Thanks for lookin' all.

Peace,
AL

Serenity
09-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Welcome, Joannie!! :wave:

Al, it certainly is a large undertaking and I'm grateful that you have allowed us to share the journey with you. You have a great style and amazing talent! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
09-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm still around watching when I can!
Good to see the progress - those 'green fingers' (or 'green thumb' as you say over there), have certainly made these irises grow beautifully. :D

Welcome Joannie - you'll find this a friendly place to be :D

alfredart
09-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. Maureen, good to see you poppin' in from time to time. Well, here's my update from last night. Got alot of blocking covered so the rest should go faster.
Again, thanks.

Peace,
AL

Lady_Morgana
09-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I am constantly watching this thread and looking really forward to seeing this finished. Your irises are really stunning and i wonder what you will do with them once all 7 are done.

alfredart
09-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Busy today so I'm just getting around to last nights update. I got more detailing done so the way it looks this will be done this weekend. I have picked up another commission so now I have to work that in alone with this and making the framework for these.
Thanks Morgana, glad to see ya checkin' in.

Peace,
AL

Papierboi
09-17-2005, 10:52 PM
What a wonderful piece of work--there's so much movement in it! The irises look so alive. I'm glad I subscribed to this thread and I look forward to seeing more. :o

Joannie
09-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi Al

Just gone through all 10 pages and watched your vast project grow from start to current and read everyones cocmments. A delightful half hour??!! Have idea all 7 will make up a fantastic assimetric hanging even if not actually joined together but simply hung at various angles to each other. Need a large wall space though!!?? Making me inspired again to work more in the water colour style I use for the Society of Floral Painters but using watered down acrylics and inks. .. bit different from my current layered textured look. But anyway over to your work - stunning and you must have such patience to commit yourself to such a large project. It has been an inspiration to so many WC addicts.... including new little me.

Joannie
09-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Its me again - to apologise for wonderful spelling , ie ' cocmments' quite an interesting word and brings all sorts of ideas to mind!! See - I'm not always the serious side of Nitsa - in fact we are always laughing together. As for 'a - symetric' just trying to be clever and use one word for a whole heap of description.

Helen Zapata
09-18-2005, 09:57 AM
still watching.. still drooling....

Helen

alfredart
09-18-2005, 12:26 PM
David thanks for your comment.
Joannie, glad you're stickin' around, spelling and all. Also you took the time out of your life to go through the whole mess. (ha)
Helen, thanks so for your comment. I really admire your work and have seen your site... wonderful.
With this update I now have two more pieces to go. Yeah!!! I hope that when this is finished I will have learned something. (other than I won't do anything like this again.) Really I hope to do something loose next. I find that I'm still doing as I've always done with this one. All my life I've drawn. When I used to do watercolors I would lay on washes in a very loose maner and ink over to bring out the details that I saw. My first acrylics were washes and I went over them with Drewent drawing pencils to bring out the detail that I say. Now that I'm applying the paint the way it should be I'm still going back in and drawing with paint the details that I see. I know from looking at all the work here at WC and following the WIP's that I am learning. This site has been such a help and insperation to me. Any you all have been a great help and a good friend.
Again, I wish to thank you all for following my work and all the help you've givin me. I know I have alot to learn and I will "with alittle help from my friends".
Anyway, here's my update, another 16X20 canvas.

Peace,
AL

nes7827
09-18-2005, 06:34 PM
I really like them Alfred..funny, if you only showed me a swatch of the blue/green I'd be pretty skeptical, kind of like hearing just a lowered 5th..but you came up with a strong root and third, a pleasing triad...bravo -Nick

tURBOCAT
09-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Sooooo striking with the colors, and technique. Just beautiful.

Johnnie

Marty C
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi Al,
This has been an exceptional series, thanks for sharing all your efforts, it's been insprirational to all here in acrylics. Each piece is superb!

Nitsa
09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Al, from where I am sitting your approach/technique/style is just fine as it is...Beautiful work my friend!!!

Helen Zapata
09-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Thank AL, I appreciate the boost! I needed it.. I'm going through one of those tear-my-hair-out-because-nothing-I-paint-comes-out-right funks.

This series of WIPs has been utterly outstanding. I hope others will take the time to give this thread five stars so it gets the recognition it deserves! :clap:

Has your wife claimed the entire series? :D

Helen

alfredart
09-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I want to thank you all for the kind words.
Helen, my wife gets all as I don't think of this as a series. All seven pieces will be put together to form one painting. The frames will be fastened together forming one large framework that will be displayed as one piece about 4 1/2 X 5 1/2 feet. Gonna take up a wall for sure.
Anyway, last night I got the last two canvas pannels streached and got started on the 9X9. The last one I changed the size on and I'm going with a 12X18 instead of a 12X12 as I didn't think it would work. Now I have to rethink what I'm going to do on the last one since the size change. Hmmmm.
Anyway, here's number six. I went with a different view on this one, looking down into the center of the flower.

Again, thanks all for the comments and putting up with this very long thread.

Peace,
AL

Serenity
09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
:clap: :clap:

It's looking great, Al! You're basically on the home stretch now......can't wait to see it all put together. :)

alfredart
09-20-2005, 01:48 PM
It feels good to be in the home stretch believe me. Thanks. I got out today and got the lumber for the framework so I'm planning on getting started on it tomorrw. I hope that by Monday I will be making my final post on this. I finished up the small one last night but as of right now I'm still not real sure what to do to the last one. Anyway, here's no. 6!!!

Thanks for lookin'

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
09-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Ooooh...Just one more to go :clap: ...I can hardly wait to see all of these framed up together Al.

alfredart
09-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Thanks Anita, I can't either. I've already got my next one planned out. But, I won't start it untill this is framed and on the wall. I really love the layout that you sent me but you only did five pannels and there are seven. Tomorrow I start cutting lumber for this and I really do have plans on having it finished up by Monday. Only thing there's a Jeep Jam this weekend that I really want to go to but I may skip it in order to get this thing done. Anyway, I do have the last canvas drawn out so here it is. I'm gonna get started on it as soon as I get off here and grab a bite to eat. This one's 12X18.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
09-21-2005, 03:54 AM
LOL...Never could count very well Al! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you have another PAINTING planned out and will be spending some more time here in acrylics with us.

Al, what happened to that sketch you made of kitchen pots and colander etc...Do you remember it?...I think it included glass!!!
Did I miss it finished?

HRH Goldie
09-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Hiya, I really really like that second last one - so close to the finish now - I am wondering whether you are putting together the frame as I write this? Can't wait to see it all assembled. It is going to be difficult to photograph for us though as it is huge. You'd better hurry up as we have run out of eats and drinks unless you pop out to replenish stock for us? Lol! :p

alfredart
09-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. Sorry Christine, I'm runnin' out of stuff here all except coffee. I never run out of that. Anita, I have that layout you talk about stored away, I don't think I'm ready for that one yet. I do want to try some glass though.
Just a quick update for the little work that I did get done last night. The background is cut in and finished so this should go at a pretty good clip now. I'll cut the leaves in tonight and then I'll be on a roll. I'm out of here, I have alot of lumber to cut up before I have to get ready for work tonight.
Again thanks.

Peace,
AL

chaz
09-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Looking good all. Can't wait to see this when all the carpentry work is done.

Chuck

Leslie Pz
09-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Think this is a great thread. Nice piece and interesting to follow!
-Les

Charlie's Mum
09-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Just re-stocking the goodies for all Al - no need for you to fork out for everyone;););)
It's a marathon - but Oh what a joy to see the end - it will be magnificent :D

Serenity
09-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Part of me is sad that it's coming to an end because I've been enjoying this thread so much but the rest of me is eager to see it all finished. :D Al, you have certainly peaked everyone's curiosity on how the final layout will look. #7 is lookin' good!! :clap: :clap:

alfredart
09-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks all for the comments and the look see. This really has been alot of fun but, I'm very ready for it to be over. Today I got all the lumber cut and three of the frames put together. I hope tomorrow I'll have the rest of them done. Then I can fill the screw holes and do alittle sanding before painting. I'm putting this together alittle different than I'd planned because of needed support so the size is going to change. I'm not real happy with it and thought about doing a couple of more to get the width that I'd planned. I said I thought about it...then I slapped myself back into reality. I don't know what I was thinking.... right now it looks like it's going to be 5'X5'7''.
Anyway, I'm sure it will be ready for a Monday unvailing as I've said. I'm so ready to start something new. At least now I can draw an iris without looking at one.
Again, I want to thank everyone for putting up with me and following this along. You guys are the best. THANKS!!!!

Peace,
AL

alfredart
09-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Here's todays update. I got alittle more done last night but, while taking a break to let the paint dry alittle I fell asleep on the couch so I didn't get as much as I'd hoped. Rough night...

Peace,
AL

3chaway9
09-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Well........Al......i just went through your marathon task...i'm exhuasted just looking...lol
your drawings are first class....and i love the way you have frilly petals on all the flowers...improving on nature i feel....do you do the flowers from photographs? and do you use any retarding medium? i wish i could watch you at work....your paintings are delightful.

Nitsa
09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I got alittle more done last night but, while taking a break to let the paint dry alittle I fell asleep on the couch so I didn't get as much as I'd hoped.

Oh Al, I have just done the exact same thing! I made the mistake of staying on the safa after my Sons went to bed and woke 10 minutes ago, having slept for over an hour. Sooo annoying!
Anyway, we must have both needed it.

Almost there Al...This is/will be worth all your efforts.

Helen Zapata
09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
I hope you catch up on your rest, AL. I love the composition of this last piece. Can't wait for the Grand Unveiling!!

Helen

alfredart
09-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the comment all. Caroline, these are from photos for the most part. I found most of them in the ref library. These are fancy iris with lots of frilly edges so I didn't improve on nature much. I don't use a medium as of yet for I'm just getting started painting, I do have much to learn yet.
Anyway all... good news and bad news. I didn't get much done on this one last night. After working on the framework for this mess I still was unhappy with it as I didn't want it to be too squared, which it was. So... I've changed the layout to where now it's where I wanted it. The bad news is that I have to go back into one of the other pieces and work on it, which I started last night as well. Looks like now it's going to be 4'6"X7'3" which is what I wanted to begin with. I should have the framework finished, as far as building, today after alittle rebuild, painted tomorrow and Sunday and put together for Monday. Anyway, here's abit of an update for ya.
See ya tomorrow for another update.
Again, THANKS all for following this.

Peace,
AL

*Deirdre*
09-23-2005, 12:18 PM
It's looking good, kid! :D I'm still Watching & waiting! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2005/33616-55161-34523-popcorn.gif popcorn anyone?

Joannie
09-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Really looking forward to seeing all the works put together - fantastic size. Where can you hang 4 x 7 frame???? Hopefully you will post the final compilation on Monday?? please please ..... Apart from EVERYTHING - every single little brush stroke - else, I love the colours you have used.

Serenity
09-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the popcorn, Deirdre ~ :D

Al, I'll be waiting with bated breath for the final unveiling. #7 turned out great! :clap: :clap:

valchina612
09-23-2005, 09:11 PM
WOOOOOOOW Al, I have just started from Page 1 and been right through for a refresher, and I am in total AWE. I'm not often struck dumb, but I think I am this time. You are just one AMAZING Artist my good friend. I am waiting with eager excitement for the unveiling of the finished and framed piece/s. This is going to be the Creation of the Century. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!
Val.

Leslie Pz
09-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Wow, the detail is really coming along well!

Nitsa
09-24-2005, 05:00 AM
NITSA CHANTS
"I'VE SEEN A PREVIEW ..NER NER NER NER NER"
AND THEN RUNS FAST!
:evil:

...and it looks soooo fantastic framed. :clap: :clap: :clap:

alfredart
09-24-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm so glad Dee brought some popcorn, I still need to get to the store.
Val and all so glad you're dropping by.
Anita, you call me evil... look at you girl, teasing.
Thank you all for the comments.
Well, last night I got number seven finished but I'm not done yet. I went back into the big piece to finish it up. Which is good for I'll have a post for tomorrow which I otherwise wouldn't have. The frame is together now and ready for sanding and a paint job. Sunday I will be placing the painting in the frame and putting the braces on the back to secure the work. I just hope now I get some good photos for Mondays post.
Anyway, here's todays update.
And again, thanks all for the kind words.

Peace,
AL

HRH Goldie
09-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Now that's just not fair Al - giving Nitsa preferential treatment there{{{{{{{{{{sulks}}}}}}}}}} Hmmmph!
I'm going to sit in the corner so there! :p

Nitsa
09-24-2005, 06:51 PM
LOL @ Christine.
Bless!...I bet it's chilly in that corner...Want a hot chocolate?

Al...I said you were evil...I didn't say I wasn't! ;) LOL!

Anita Murphy
09-25-2005, 10:14 AM
OOOOOOH we are getting close to the big reveal!!!!
Al, this is so exciting, its like unwrapping a present!
They are all such beautiful pictures in their own right, I can't wait to see them all together.

Thank you for commenting on my spoons.

alfredart
09-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Tomorrow there will be coffee and warmies for everybody. Thanks for hanging around guys. This has been a long road indeed. Here is the last piece and with this I'm already putting it into the frame. Now all that is left is to brace the pieces in and try and get a good photo on a cloudy day.
Again, thanks all.

I hope to see you all tomorrow.

Peace,
AL

idylbrush
09-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Lovely, nothing less than I expected to see. What a delight.

Serenity
09-25-2005, 03:41 PM
OH, how exciting!!! I can hardly wait!!! :D

Charlie's Mum
09-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Just waiting for tomorrow - on tenterhooks!:D

Anita Murphy
09-25-2005, 04:25 PM
On the edge of my seat.......................

alfredart
09-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Well guys, this is it. Funny, Iím not happy... I know I should be, but Iím not.

This painting has become a big part of my life since I started it on 8/17. For me this is a very long road to travel as Iíve never worked on anything for such a time or everyday until it was finished. All my life Iíve drawn but Iíve always wanted to paint. A couple of years ago I went out and bought a ton of oils, canvas, brushes and an easel. After three painting I found that I really didnít like oils for several reasons, and put them away. I ended up giving the paints away and keeping everything else and after awhile I decided to buy some acrylics and give them a try. After trying a few experiments with them Iíve come down to this. Iím still so very new to painting but you all have made me feel like Iíve been doing this all my life. Iíve learned a lot from you all and along the way Iíve made new friends that I hold very dear to me. As I sat putting the finishing lines on this piece I found myself looking for more to do to it. I didnít want to stop, I didnít want this to end. And a tear came to my eye as I signed it and put it away to dry. I have a lot to learn yet and I hope someday with your help Iíll know what Iím doing and how to do it. I joined WC hoping to learn to paint and Iíve found that place to learn. I want to thank everyone for the support Iíve gotten with this thread andÖ I just noticed last night that some of you have rated this thread a five star. Thatís a first, you talk about something bringing me to my knees. I was very humbled, for the first time in along time. Thanks you so very, very much.

EnoughÖ first, Iíll show you the frame that I built for this.
Next is the wall that itís going one. Yep, it takes up almost the whole wall.
And finallyÖ the finish. Like I said I wanted to do something different so I give you a 3-Dimensional painting. Told ya itíd be different.

Again, thank you all for your support, I donít think I would have made it through this without it.

Now my wife wants me to do two more for another wall in our bedroom. I gotta start painting dragons or nudes, something that she wonít want. But for now I think the next one will be for me.

Again, thank you all.

Peace,
AL

Marty C
09-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Al, this has been a truly remarkable journey, one of which you should be justly very proud. Each piece has been terrific, but the sum of the parts has resulted in a complete body of work which is awesome. The framing and arrangement is spectacular, this is one of the more creative and accomplished works I have seen for quite some time. Kudos to you, you deserve it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

HRH Goldie
09-26-2005, 03:35 AM
YEAHHHHHHHH WAY TO GO AL!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: x a zillion.
Brilliant conceptual work. I love the way that the smaller pieces work like insets in a magazine where they do a close up of the main frame to give you the detail. This is better in reality than it was in my imagination I am pleased I dropped in early - I was rewarded! :wink2: :angel:
Your wife is a slave driver lol :p

*Deirdre*
09-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Al....You've just blown my socks off! Which is a pity as I have to take the dog out! :evil:
All I can say is WoW!! Now you KNOW you can paint! Was there ever any doubt?
You can have....10 clappies! :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap: :D x 2

valchina612
09-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Al, this is totally stunning -- an absolute masterpiece if ever there was one. I am in total awe of the finished piece. You are such a brilliant Artist, and have taught us all so much with this WIP. You are definitely sitting on top of the World at the moment. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lady_Morgana
09-26-2005, 04:29 AM
Al,
I thought that this must look great, but i could not even nearly have imagined how great it looks. The paintings are truely wonderful and set up in that frameworks they even gain brilliance. Your wife should sing and dance for a week for having this in your bedroom. *grin* Fantastic job you did on these (or should i say this?) Thank you for sharing the progress, i learned a lot by this.

Now what about the dragons and nudes *smile*. I am eagerly waiting to see you painting some fantasy-stuff. Bet you will do fantastic with that.

3chaway9
09-26-2005, 06:14 AM
:wave: Hi Al,
well your done.....and it's wonderful....i bet you can't stop looking at your brilliant achievement... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: you deserve all the praise you have from your admirers....Yes i'm all for you to paint a fantasy....PLEASE... :D :clap: you would be great....once again...CONGRATULATIONS.

Anita Murphy
09-26-2005, 08:44 AM
AL - WOW! I am at a loss for words! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2005/58769-23460-smiley_faint.gif This is breathtaking! I love the way you have put it together!!! Just taking a moment to take it all in ............................ http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2005/58769-23460-smiley_not_worthy.gif You are a master! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2005/58769-48045-22284-7_20_2v.gif What an amazing piece of work. Take a deep breath and admire this a while. Thank you SO much for allowing us to keep you company on this journey.
Superb!

alfredart
09-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Anita, you're not the only one at a loss for words. I don't know what to say guys the comments are most wonderful. And I thank you all so much for taking this journey with me.
My told me today that she had some bad news... she doesn't want it hanging in our bedroom. (ha) Now I have to move it into the dinning room. She said it's hidden where it is and no one would ever see it. So I have some holes to fill where I placed some heavy anchors. One thing about moving it is when you first come into my house it'll be the first thing you see. Another good thing is that it fits. The only thing that kept it out of the living rooms was it wouldn't work with all the Native Amreican stuff in there.
Anyway, it looks like I'll be patching holes.

Again I want to say thanks to all of you. I was so afraid that you might be alittle dissapointed with this after all the wait.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Now.... where'd I put my brushes...

Peace,
AL

Charlie's Mum
09-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Al, your wife is a very wise lady - this ABSOLUTELY DOES need to be seen and admired by all who visit.
It's a remarkable piece - the whole being even greater than the individual parts.
Thank you so much for showing us the whole sequence - and the final frame arrangement is spectacular too.

I think this truly is inspirational, because it allows others to see what can be done with a little lateral thinking ..... plus a LOT of dedication, persistence and application!

You may bask in the glory of all the praise coming your way - you so deserve it!

I know all these clappies slow the threads down, but you deserve them :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Joannie
09-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Its Monday evening in England and I have logged on especially to look at your final gathered together gigantic piece .... but its not here yet. I am almost crying with anticipation. When is the unveiling?????????

alfredart
09-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Maureen, you're very kind. Thank you so much.
Joannie, go back one page dear!!!

Thanks alot guys.

Thought I'd throw up it's new resting place. Not a real good shot but you'll get the idea. Really I think it looks much better there. And... now I only have to paint one more for my wife.

Peace,
AL

chaz
09-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Just too cool for words Al. I'm takling about the paintings and the framimg together. What a Job. You should be proud. I know the feeling about not being happy when something is done. But I've found out that one gets over it, and it begins to look pretty good and after a while you actually begin to like it. With this work that should happen pretty quickly for you. After all you wife made you move to where everyone can see it. That in it's self should tell you something.

Just a wonderful project! Congratulations.

Chuck

Helen Zapata
09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
AL, I knew this was going to be breathtaking.. but HOLY COW! I love your idea of overlapping the paintings. It's different from how I'd imagined it, but different in a way that's even BETTER!

This is an amazing work. You should be proud of yourself. A real masterpiece.

I must go back and look some more. :) Thank you SO much for taking us with you along the way!

hugs
Helen

alfredart
09-27-2005, 01:52 AM
Chuck and Helen, thank you both for your comments. I really do like where I moved it to. It fits so well with the lighting and the thermostat, it's almost like it was made for that spot all along. I'm working on a portrait commission right now but I'll be pickin' up the brushes again real soon.

I'm posting these again so you all don't have to go back and find them.

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
09-27-2005, 04:28 AM
:clap: GOBSMACKINGLY GORGEOUS!!!! :clap:

Al this deserves so much more than 5 stars. I'm so pleased it's now hanging in a place where others can share in it's beauty.
You really do have to at least start to realise that you CAN paint and that you do it VERY well.
After viewing your fantasy works on your website a while back I am in agreement with others in that I'd love to see a painted, coloured fantasy piece from you.

Re: the oils.........Can I ask what it was about them that you were not happy with. I've been thinking of adding them to my Christmas list for some time now and I'd love to hear about your experience with them.

Serenity
09-27-2005, 05:49 AM
Al, what an awesome journey it has been with such a MAGNIFICENT ending!!! I'm in total awe!!! Your wife is one smart lady requesting that your work of art be on display in a room where others can share in its beauty. Thank YOU so much for sharing this journey with us. I've enjoyed every minute of it! I look forward to seeing more of your fabulous work.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ottwork
09-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Oh, my goodness, Al - It is so much better than what I imagined! Gorgeous, Beautiful, Fabulous, Marvelous, Wonderful!!!!!!!

TxAggieDarlin
09-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I stumbled in on this and all I can say, IS WOW....what talent you have.
These are just fantastic and I love the grouping..........Excellent work

alfredart
09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Thank you all for your kind words.
Anita, thank you so for helping get through this. I may need your help again as my next one it gonna be a dandy.
Aggie, thanks for stoppin' by. By the way, I've seen some of your work and it's beautiful.
Diahn, thanks alot.
Serena, thanks for hangin' in there with me. I know it's been along time and you've been there always.
You guys are great!

Peace,
AL

Nitsa
09-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Anita, thank you so for helping get through this. I may need your help again as my next one it gonna be a dandy.

Anytime my friend! ;)

Fozbot
09-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Al, this forum is letting me post now! have NO idea what was wrong earlier. i just want to tell you again how wonderful your irises are! these are nothing short of spectacular!!!! the only explaination i can think is you are simply a natural w/acrylics!!!

alfredart
10-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Billie you're a dear. Thanks for following this project through to it's end. I know it was a long time and I'm so glad you stuck with it. I hope to be back painting soon. I have to get my commission out of the way and then it'll be time to push paint. I already have my next one worked out. (in my head anyway) As well as another strange project which I'm trying to work out to see it if will work or not. I'm still trying to find ways to be different. (ha)
Again, thanks for your kind words and taking the time out of your life to follow along with mine.

Peace,
AL

wintersrose
10-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Wow Al! This is incredible! What amazing detail! I love your technique.

Joannie
10-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh I can hardly believe the finished product. How did you visualise the various sizes fitting together so well?? The varying perspectives/sizes of the irises fit together astonishingly. I am so glad it came on line before I went away to France - cos it would have ruined my holiday not seeing it first. I cant really beleive your latest comments that you consider yourself a beginner. I can see you using this concept with so many different images. Congratulations a thousand fold.

alfredart
10-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Rosalie, thanks for your comment. Glad ya like.
Joannie, glad you made it by before you left. Thanks so for your kind words. This piece just kinda came together. Anita gave me some perspectives on it as well as this went along. The end result was luck. (ha) The move from the bedroom to the dining room was unbelieveable in the way that it fit. Almost like it was made for that space with the lights and the thermostate and all. I'm still trying to figure that one out as I couldn't have made it to fit anybetter in that space if I'd tried.
Good news! I finished my portrait commission so now I get to paint again. I've really missed it.
Again, thank you all for all the kind words and sticking this out with me.

Peace,
AL