PDA

View Full Version : prints

sungargle
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
i called around to find a place that could do prints of my watercolors (i just started to sell my work at art fairs) & one place told me something curious......he could could scan the actual painting and make full size prints, about $50 or scan the painting and make color copies, about $3. this is the curious part...he says the color copy will last much longer because it is made from toner as opposed to ink. is this true???!!!!

thanks.:confused:

dbclemons
08-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, not necessarily. If by "toner" he means a color laser print, it CAN be archival, but so can ink. Color laser prints are generally less expensive, since the toner package is really designed for high volume stuff, as opposed to small ink cartridges. as for quality, I'd need some convincing that a laser print would = to a good giclee.

This site does a comparison of inkjets to lasers:
http://www.laser-printer-reviews.org/ink_jet_printer_reviews/reviews_of_inkjet_printers.html

laudesan
08-18-2005, 03:26 AM
You need to ask this question in the art business forum too, and maybe the photography Forum. Good to get all the opinions available.

You can buy Archival ink, ask him for proof that it is..

Yorky
08-18-2005, 04:08 AM
You have had some good advice - you could also search the Watercolor Forum for "Prints".

I'll move this to the Watercolor studio which is the best place for general studio questions.

Doug