PDA

View Full Version : "A Digital Abstract" for AmyH...

Jan-Michael
01-09-2002, 08:34 PM
ok "I PAINTED this by HAND" in Photoshop... I saved the file I created as a pgm height file and imported it into Bryce4... then I textured it with a texture "I created" and set the lighting.. saved the image as a tiff file and brought it back into Photoshop and findished it by hand with a wacom tablet...that's a strange thing you hold a pen in YOUR hand and draw...on the tablet ... again.. if you can find a button that will do all this for me in a sec... and save me hours of work please let me know... :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2002/DP1.jpg

MissMouse
01-09-2002, 09:00 PM
I don't know what Bryce4 is but I have to tell you I love my tablet. I haven't found an easy button pushing way to do stuff let me know if you do OK.

As for this it is wonderful I love the colors.

colorme
01-09-2002, 09:31 PM
the colors look good, thick. I like it :)

lori
01-09-2002, 10:50 PM
love the lighting on this. it creates a veil of smoke. i feel like i'm smoking in a room lit with purple light and someone just turned a flashlight on my smoke. definately sensory.

the only thing i wish for on this is more depth. other then that...

as far as the digital/organic debate...its like comparing cars and tuna fish. too different to even compare, in my opinion. sure aesthetics apply to both digital and organic art...but really, they are two completely different things.

of course on could argue that its much easier to get around in a car then a tunafish...but hey, that isn't the point.

AmyH
01-10-2002, 04:17 AM
originally posted by jan: I see from this image that your digital skills are very basic... and sure as they expand you will learn to express yourself beyond the transistors... this is a good beginners image I have seen worse for sure...

LOL!

this was your response to my digital piece "slot". how do you know how basic my skills are after seeing only one image? how do you know how I arrived at this image?

but thats is not my point. my point is you are TOTALLY confused by my statements. I'll clarify:

originally posted by amy:see I look at that work and think it is terrible it is only digital.

by this I mean terrible it is only digital, because it is good and i wish it were paint because, to me, paint is a better medium (refering to works posted by people to point out to me how great digital imagery is, as if I am a complete and utter idiot, and have never seen any work like this, LOL). prefering paint has nothing to do with artists or capability or hours of work, I prefer paint thats it, flame me, oh yeah you already are, heh.

originally posted by amyh:how long before a puter program can simulate these works with out human interaction at all, just hit one button.

I said how long? this is a question of sorts, yes, a statement too. because I believe some one will write such a program, if it has not been done already. I didnt say digital art does not take a long time. I am well aware (quess what, based on expirience), that it CAN. still, it will not ever rival paint.

originally posted by amyh:my intent is not, and was not, to bash digital art. I understand that the skills involved to render digital imagery are the same to render non digital art in many ways; as far as judging contrast, composition, continuity etc. HOWEVER, materials (paint) behave in an entirely different way than digital,a nd are controlled differently.

did you read that? anything that i said before it?

origianlly posted by jan:ok "I PAINTED this by HAND" in Photoshop... I saved the file I created as a pgm height file and imported it into Bryce4... then I textured it with a texture "I created" and set the lighting

how did you create the texture and set the lighting? um I know photoshop by the way, and other imaging software.

.. saved the image as a tiff file and brought it back into Photoshop

as far as stating evertime you save the file under a new file type and bring it up in a new program you can leave out that stuff, i dont memtion it everytime I switch brushes, makes you look a bit like your trying to beef it up ;). I understand your saying this, thinking I am not knowledgable about editing and paint programs, but I am.

originally posted by janand findished it by hand with a wacom tablet...that's a strange thing you hold a pen in YOUR hand and draw...on the tablet...

ouch, and, no doy Jan, I'm well aware of tablets and pens

originally posted by janagain.. if you can find a button that will do all this for me in a sec... and save me hours of work please let me know...

ouch again, lol, so far the only thing you mentioned that may have been time consuming (as if that matters in wether art works or not) was some hand drawing. as for the filters/textures it was the inventors of bryce and photoshop that allowed you to alter your image that way: by enabling you to make the texture with thier program, hence the price tag for the programs (photoshop is 600 or so last I checked, not that that has any bearing). much work went into creating those programs, you don't want to give the program credit at all?

if a man using a synthesizer creates a beatiful trumpet sound I clap. If a man using a trumpet creates a beautiful sound I am amazed. the trumpet takes a different kind of skill, the diapragm, the cheeks, the fingers, mindblowing.

I once created an image in the old super paint program (mac) I then saved it as a tiff file and opened t up in photoshop(wow). now the old superpaint created b+white images as a very coarse bitmaps. in photoshop I "created" all my own colors and pixel by coarse pixel colored in each one to create a face. probably took me 8 or 10 hours, not sure, it was almost ten years ago :D. It is still lacking imo.

anyhow, I explained in my own thread what I meant by lacking, I have explained ad nauseum here. If you dont get it or understand it, i cant make you. :)

amy

Jan-Michael
01-10-2002, 01:09 PM
MissMouse, colorme thanks and lori... I kinda like tuna fish :)

AmyH
I will not bleed this to death so just a few comments.
"see I look at that work and think it is terrible it is only
digital." Now we must be mind readers...? :) That's like me commenting on an image saying "It sucks" but what I really mean is "It sucks, that it's not hanging on My wall" :)

"as far as stating every time you save the file under a new file type and bring it up in a new
program you can leave out that stuff, i dont memtion it everytime I switch brushes, makes
you look a bit like your trying to beef it up"
The comment on the pgm file was important as anyone understanding that term would realize this is a 3Dimensional map capable of interacting with a 3D program such as Bryce .. I agree the tiff comment was redundant.

As far as the button comment ... I can also throw paint on a canvas is that art...?

Also there were no filters used on this image... I find excessive filter use distracting...

"if a man using a synthesizer creates a beatiful trumpet sound I clap. If a man using a
trumpet creates a beautiful sound I am amazed. the trumpet takes a different kind of skill,
the diapragm, the cheeks, the fingers, mindblowing."

Now here we agree LOL.. But lets take this a step farther... lets say the man on the synthesizer creates a sound that no instrument can ever create. We hear music everyday that was impossible to create only 30 years ago... Digital art does not need to mimic traditional art, it will, in the future stand quite well on it's own... :) and yes we can agree to disagree... :)

"A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring
There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again."

An Essay on Criticism
Alexander Pope

AmyH
01-11-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Jan-Michael
MissMouse, colorme thanks and lori... I kinda like tuna fish :)

AmyH
I will not bleed this to death so just a few comments.
"see I look at that work and think it is terrible it is only
digital." Now we must be mind readers...?

no, but if you read my reply to cabal youd see that I said the artist he posted did great work. So my grammar aint great, oh well.

:) That's like me commenting on an image saying "It sucks" but what I really mean is "It sucks, that it's not hanging on My wall" :)

not exactly, tone make s a diff. I can and did say my sentence using tone that made it work as I meant it, try that with "it sux" :)

"as far as stating every time you save the file under a new file type and bring it up in a new
program you can leave out that stuff, i dont memtion it everytime I switch brushes, makes
you look a bit like your trying to beef it up"
The comment on the pgm file was important as anyone understanding that term would realize this is a 3Dimensional map capable of interacting with a 3D program such as Bryce .. I agree the tiff comment was redundant.

As far as the button comment ... I can also throw paint on a canvas is that art...?

ask jackson pollock. I did not ever say anything was not art. where are you gleaning this from??

Also there were no filters used on this image... I find excessive filter use distracting...

"if a man using a synthesizer creates a beatiful trumpet sound I clap. If a man using a
trumpet creates a beautiful sound I am amazed. the trumpet takes a different kind of skill,
the diapragm, the cheeks, the fingers, mindblowing."

Now here we agree LOL.. But lets take this a step farther... lets say the man on the synthesizer creates a sound that no instrument can ever create.

we can only use that analogy IF you can't create, in paint, what you are creating digitally, and so far everything I have seen is renderable in paint by someone, if its 2d and made of light it can be imitated in paint. my opinion. are you suggesting what you are doing digitally is not doable in paint? :)

We hear music everyday that was impossible to create only 30 years ago... Digital art does not need to mimic traditional art, it will, in the future stand quite well on it's own... :) and yes we can agree to disagree... :)

"A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring
There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again."

there ya go calling me ignorant again :) as if my opinion is based in ignorance, trust me, it isnt. I find digital art lacking. (already discussed the reasons) more knowledge of HOW its done will not change my mind. I already told you; i dont think its lacking because I think its easy, so, even if it were the most difficult, and time consuming art, in the WORLD, and only the most intelligent of the species can do it ...I still find it lacking.
:)

amy

An Essay on Criticism
Alexander Pope