PDA

View Full Version : works in progress

Ian Bruce
08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
I altered the following painting according to the kind advice on this forum-- increasing the impact of the foreground boats, and using a blue wash to push the boat on the extreme left back a bit and de-emphasize it. What do you think of the results?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2005/64870-wc-angelique.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2005/64870-angeliqueshrunk.jpg

This is a painting I have just started. It depicts a camp on a lake just before sunset with the sun shining through the trees and glancing up off the flat calm lake water. I thought it horrible at first, but now, a couple of days later, I can see that a decent painting may yet be made of it. I would love any suggestions. I very much appreciate the help I have received so far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2005/64870-campshrunk.jpg
P.S. If you were so dumb as to crop a painting down to the exact size that it looks best at--how would you attempt to mount it?

Ian Bruce
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Oops--just found out that works in progress are to be posted elsewhere in future! Will do so.

Yorky
08-17-2005, 05:36 AM
No problem Ian - we'll all get used to the new layout. BTW finished paintings can also be posted in the Gallery.

Doug

CharM
08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Ian... your changes are subtle, but effective! Sign and frame this one!

Your cabin in the woods has a good start... those greens are pretty bright, but I'm sure you'll be toning them down some... your tree trunks still need their form developed... so... I'll check back in to see your next steps...

I'm not sure what you're asking about mounting a cropped painting...

Ian Bruce
08-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Doesn't a painting need to have a little extra paper around the edge for mounting? I have yet to mount anything, but I get the impression that if you crop--literaly, with scissors--a painting to the size that would look right in the window of a mount, that you are going to have to sacrifice another half inch or so all around to be hidden behind the mounting card. Perhaps I could glue the painting to a slightly larger sheet of paper or cardboard with spray adhesive? Would the adhesive hurt the painting? I may need to get a book on mounting and framing before I spend too much money on mounting supplies.

painterbear
08-19-2005, 04:44 AM
Hi Ian,

Your first painting looks very nice with the changes you've made. They were very effective.

The cabin in the woods is a nice start. You've got a strong source of light coming from the right, so your shadows can be dark and dramatic on the left. Even the leaves that are underneath can be made deeper in tone too. The trees are placed so prominently, the shaping of their trunks will add a lot of interest to the overall painting.

To mount your painting, all you need is about 1/4" all around that will go under the mat. You then use a special acid-free tape to attach the painting to the mat along just the top. The sides and the bottom float loose. In the future, if you decide to crop a painting, you can leave a good half-inch to cover with the mat.

In your case, if you don't want to sacrifice even the 1/4", you can do what is called a "float mount" where the painting is placed on top of the mat and you see its edges. However, generally the paintings edges are deckled when people do that, not sharp like they are when cut by a scissors.

I read an excellent book from the library on matting and framing art. Sorry I can't think of its name, but do a search on Amazon and see if you can find it. Then check if they have it at your library.

Sylvia