PDA

View Full Version : Plasteline Bears (In Progress)

MKathleen
01-09-2002, 06:55 PM
H 4" L 5 1/2" W 4" Including Base

Beginnings of a new sculpture using Chavant Plasteline Clay. I got so involved that I forgot to stop and photograph the bear armatures as I had planned. Being the small size of this sculpture I may not have needed them? (comments). I must say I did have fun making them.
At this stage I'm just trying for basic bear shape as you can see I have a long way to go before I sleep. lol

I really like working with the plasteline clay it has a very nice texture. Looking forward to when I can start modeling the features. I'll post additional images as I progress.

Best,
Kathy:D

Comments, suggestions, thoughts excepted graciously.:)

MKathleen
01-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Haven't figured out how to place more than one image on the same post yet. Bear :D (tee hee get it) with me I'll get it figured out. Some where in this forum I thought I read Max's directions for uploading more than one image. Help Max, help, help....

I think I should add some additional base area where you see the bears left hind leg. It's to close to the edge what do you think? That is probably should be the least of my concerns. lol

All help welcome

Best,

max nelson
01-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Kathy..I knew you wouldn't be long getting started. This is lookin good so far. I like the pose better than the first piece. They're all looking at different things..kinda watching each others back. For a work of this size you probably did not need the armature. If you make something larger I usually use a 3/8 or even smaller threaded pipe screwed into a floor flange that is attached to the base. Just add a 'T' to the top to fall somewhere in the middle of the body and you will have enough support for relatively heavy work. Then if you need armature wire for appendages, just cut a grove into the body with a tool, insert the wire and putty it back up. I just repaired a couple of pieces that seperated badly due to a long time of not working and this is the process I used. I took pics to do a show & tell demo for anyone who may be interested. Another book I will recommend to you, since it looks like your interest will be animals is "How To Draw Animals" by Jack Hamm. Another $10 book, but one of the best on the subject. Many animals, many poses and he goes into the differences between say, a grizzley and a polar bear. His descriptions on how the legs and feet differ in animals is superb!
Highly recommended by MAX.

MKathleen
01-09-2002, 10:52 PM
Yep Max, couldn't wait to get my hands on that clay and get sculpting. The above images took me about 5 hours to get to that point with a brake for lunch. Yes, I prefer this pose too when you see bears say at rivers their always on the look out. Especially mother bears with cubs even those little guys are pretty alert.
Thank you for the information on the armature that sounds like a niffty one. I think I could even make that one myself without bugging hubby. I'll add it to my collection of tips everyone is posting on their threads.
Be sure to announce when you get the demo finished so we all can view it. I'll be a sponge!:clap:
Ha, Ha, I have both of Jack Hamm's books "How To Draw Animals" was the first one I bought payed $4.95 in 1977. Your right Hamm's animal book is one of the best on the subject. His other book "Drawing The Head & Figure" (do you have it?) I bought probably 2-3 years after I bought his animal book it is good too. Payed more for that one I think around $6.50. I have used his animal book so much that the pages are falling out. lol
There is another book (always another book) I have called "Drawing Animals" by Norman Adams and Joe Singer. It is a beautiful book covering surface anatomy, skeletons, muscles and action poses. It has cats, dogs, bears (oh my) horses, cattle, deer, elephants etc. No color all pencil work! I bet Randy would really like that book. His drawings are first rate...
Yep I really need to study bear anatomy closer, but I think I'm getting closer. I'll work on it some more tonight had other distractions today so gave it a rest.:D

Truely appreciate your input very much..........
Best,
Kathy :D

Jeffi
01-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Kathy... This is a wonderful start to a nice looking piece. It would have taken me five hours just to do the mother bear. I have a procedural question - since the bears are standing close together, if you're going to work on details such as hair for each won't it be hard to get access to some spots? Do you plan to separate the base now that you have the configuration set, and work on them individually then reassemble the group?

Please post progress pics if you can - that's always real instructive to a beginner like myself. Again, it's already a great looking piece! Hope I can keep up with everyone on this site - what an inspiration! :clap:

diane555
01-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Kathy, this is looking grrrrreat so far!

It didn't take you long to get into that clay! It really has a wonderful feel to it that the air dries just don't have doesn't it? It's so exciting to see more people posting their work in here :clap: I hope I can get on here a little more now so I can keep up with what's going on.

Oh, if you haven't got an answer to your ? about uploading .... you just use the uploader button at the top of your posting screen to upload the first image then paste it into the message. After that hit your back button on the uploader screen & upload another image to copy & paste beside (if the two are not more than 500 pixels wide) or below the last one. Hope this makes some sense. Can't wait to see more :)

Di

MKathleen
01-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Jeffi, thank you for taking the time to look at my bears and for your nice comment. We're both new to this sculpting art, and you are far more talented and advanced than I. Keep going with your sculpting schooling.
Fortunately I can lift the bears individually off the base thus making life much easier. Because of the armature in each bear I don't worry about anything pulling apart with handling. Had I decided to sculpt the bears as a whole unit it would have been very difficult. I plan to use the base with the bears afterwards.
I will post progress images as I go along, I agree that is how we learn. We're lucky because there are some really good artists in this forum.;)

Best,

MKathleen
01-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Di, glad to hear that you are feeling better. It's no fun when you don't feel good especially when you can't work at your art. Now your back and can't wait for the casting images!
Thank you too, for the nice comment on the bears. I have worked on them today, and feel like I'm making progress. Seems like each time I work on them they start to look more like bears (to me):D
I don't have the right words to express how much I'm loving this clay medium. It's so great to be able to see all sides of your subject. If an area isn't looking quite right to me I stand up and look at it from the top, side, front and back. Then I can see where I need more clay or less clay, once I make the correction it looks ok again. Amazing;)
Thanks for the upload directions I'll try it next time.
Looking forward to seeing ya around here more now. :clap:

Best,

Phyllis Rennie
01-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Wow--you're really moving fast here. Looks good to me--can't imagine how you could do this much in such a small size.

MKathleen
01-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Phyllis, thank you I'm having so much fun I just love this clay medium. :D I'll post some more images Friday or this weekend. I already have another sculpture planned. It will be a little larger but I have to do some big time drawing first. It's of my Dad when he was just a lad in Texas on his favorite horse. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I just have to remember kiss (kept it simple stupid):D
Checked in on your relief and you arent exactly setting still! It looks really good I really like the addition of the clouds.

Best,