PDA

View Full Version : Workshops...who do you recommend?

Karen Margulis
08-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Hi all!
This past year I took two workshops with Marsha Savage which were wonderful. I was hoping to do another one in 2006 but I would love to hear about your workshop experiences...I thought I had found the perfect workshop. It's a Caribbean Art Cruise in February. There will be demos on the days at sea and shore excursions with the artists. I figured my husband could relax around the pool while I do the workshops. The best part is the group of artists...Bob Rohm, Michael Chesley Johnson, Ann Templeton, Susan Greaves and Greg Barnes. But I was just informed that they might not meet their minimum so I am looking into other options.
If you have taken a workshop and would like to share your experience I'd love to hear about it. I'm sure it would help us all! Thanks! :)
Karen

Kathryn Wilson
08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
That cruise with Bob Rohm and others sounds great - do you have a link to a web site with the info?

I was going to suggest Marsha Savage - another workshop I want to attend.

khourianya
08-16-2005, 12:12 PM
It does sound neat...I hunted out the link for here www.ArtCruise2006.com

I don't think I'd bea ble to go, though :( Maybe if they get enough of a response, they will make it ANNUAL!!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the link Cori - it looks to be a wonderful cruise! And two of the people are ones I wanted to paint with. BUT, it looks like I'd have to get another job to pay for it - not that the artists aren't charging nominally, but the cruise on top of that, plus hubby would want to go. It could cost up to $5,000 - oi. :(

Karen Margulis
08-16-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm trying to save enough money...I am holding the least expensive inside cabin so I figure I could go for around $3000 with hubby ...still a lot..but it is our annual vacation and we usually do a cruise anyway. I hope they get more to sign up!

You should definitely try to do Marsha's workshop if you can. Not only did I learn a lot...it was a great group and we had a lot of fun!!!
Karen

CarlyHardy
08-16-2005, 11:21 PM
I took a workshop with Bob Rohm in Appalachicola, FL, and highly recommend him as an instructor. His was one of the best workshops that I've attended.

I've also taken workshops with Marsha Savage, both plein air and a studio workshop. She's an excellent instructor going well beyond the regular demo/private instruction stage. I feel she's one of the best mentoring instructors that I'll ever have. You can get info about her workshops at www.marshasavage.com (She's also a regular around here with her demo threads :))

Terry Ludwig is a great artist and instructor. I was really fortunate in taking a figures workshop from him last year. If I lived closer to Colorado, I'd paint with him as much as possible. He'll be in Blue Ridge, GA, next spring!!

I really enjoyed the workshops at the IAPS convention. I took one with Anita Louise West and one with Albert Handel and both were excellent! I'm planning on taking his workshop next year when he's in the North Georgia area.

I look for local workshops as much as possible to save the expense of travel, but there are also some great opportunities thru different art groups if you like adventure. That cruise sounds awesome except for the fact that I'd be seasick all the time :D
carly

MChesleyJohnson
08-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Just as an update -- we now have L. Diane Johnson as a sponsor artist on the cruise. She is the Founding Editor of PLEIN AIR magazine and an excellent instructor and artist.

We are pretty close to making our minimum on the cruise. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. (I'm the guy in charge :wink2: )

Michael

DLJohnson
08-21-2005, 03:27 AM
This is tempting, very tempting and we are just now planning for next year. If you think about the cost of a vacation for 2, even with some of the deals these days, this seems like an excellent price just for the instructors alone.

And all those Johnsons, I'll fit right in, lol

I really may do this. May take an art friend (with a checkbook) instead.

If I'm not very good will I get tossed over?

Donna (not Diane)

my airfare will be high tho:crying:

Karen Margulis
08-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks Michael for filling us in on the cruise status and the addition of another artist. It sounds great!

Donna, I hope you and your art friend decide to go! The way I figured, the cruise alone was only slightly more than we usually budget for a cruise (which are excellent values usually). My concern was that I wouldn't be experienced enough.. I only started with pastels this past winter. But I figure I have a few months so I will keep practicing! :)
Karen

MChesleyJohnson
08-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Gosh, don't worry about experience! There's something for everyone, and the artists are comfortable with all levels. (And we have oil artists, too, not just pastel artists!)

All those Johnsons? I thought about putting a little disclaimer by my name as they do in newspaper articles: "N0 Relation." :)

jackiesimmonds
08-22-2005, 04:08 AM
I have always wanted to visit the Caribean....I will have to have a serious think about this cruise....

only problem is, I have to save hard for my trip to Seattle, where I am doing a workshop with Bill McEnroe before running a workshop of my own at La Conner. Although, obviously, I get paid for running my own workshop, it costs a lot to get to the US fromthe UK, and the same applies to the Carribean cruise..on top of the cruise cost, I have to consider the air fare.

Ah well, have to work harder and sell a few more pieces.

Anyone coming to La Conner in the summer?

Jackie

DLJohnson
08-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok Karen you can go. YOU just started last winter, sheesh, I would have never guessed that.

I am still thinking.....my friend can't go :crying: tho

Donna

Karen Margulis
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Jackie....I do hope you give it some thought. The Caribbean is beautiful and a cruise is such a wonderful way to see it!

Donna, Oh please go!!!! It will be a great experience. Have you taken a cruise before? I love the art part of it but I just LOVE a cruise! I'd be happy to answer any cruise-related questions. I have been on several. (it helps to live within driving distance to the port!) :)
Karen

DLJohnson
08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

Karen, lol, I have been thinking about this sooooooooo much, have brainache.

I have never been on a cruise so it would be a great adventure. Hubby comes home tonight (late) from business trip, so tomorrow night I will show him the site. I already told him about it and he is willing.

Decisions, decisions!

Donna

Karen Margulis
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Donna,
I know that brainache feeling!!! I went through it too. My husband has been very supportive about it...he figures he'll get to relax and enjoy while I do the workshop thing! Cruising is sooo much fun. let me know if you need help convincing your husband to go!
Karen

DLJohnson
09-07-2005, 03:32 AM
Here is Jackie Simmonds' to Greece in May. Looks quite reasonable if I am converting pounds properly. The rate includes the airfare from over the pond but I am sure that could be adjusted (upwards a bit) from the US to Greece.

http://www.jackiesimmonds.com/holiday.htm

I wish a bunch of WC people could go, that would be nice. If I slow down a tad on buying pastels I could afford to learn how to use them.

Still thinking http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/7846-thinking3.gif

Donna

Have missed seeing you at VPON, getting shy?

Karen Margulis
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Jackie's trip looks wonderful! I would love to go to Greece....but I just found out that Albert Handell will be in my area in May...so I signed up for his workshop. Still planning on doing the cruise since that's really a vacation for my husband too.

The times for the last couple of VPON's haven't worked out with my schedule...but I do hope to do the next critter night!
Karen

Sketchcny
09-07-2005, 03:34 PM
For those of you in the New England, Mid-Atlantic states, the Hudson Rivery Valley Art Workshops offers the opportunity to work with several noted pastelists and PSA members. I took a 3-day workshop from Elizabeth (Betsy) Apgar-Smith this past June and thought she was wonderful. An easy person to talk to, a beautiful pastelist, she also works in watercolor and oils, and can speak to the differences in styles. She appears to teach there every year.

scall0way
09-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Wow, doesn't this sound cool. I've never been on a cruise. It does sound like a lot of fun.

funkie
09-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I took a class from Diana Ponting in her studio. I found out about her from a thread here posted by some else who had taken one. I had a fantastic time. Her classes are very reasonable considering she only allows 8 people in them and because she has them in her studio we had access to everything she uses. She is the most giving instructor I have ever had and such a nice down to earth person to boot. No fancy talk and patience to boot. No one left with less than a great painting even me who can't draw much more than a straight line. I would'nt hesitate to recommend her to anyone.
Mags