Nancy04530
08-15-2005, 12:51 PM
There are 188 members from Chicago,
I would like to get together, for some outside work,
to network, maybe for a trip to the Art Institute
Nancy :music:

Barry Lyon
08-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Greetings Nancy, I am a Graduate of the art Institue, In Chicago, and think your Idea Is a Fantasic Idea...would love to help orginize that. lots of luck....
Barry Lyon

Nancy04530
08-16-2005, 03:41 AM
That's the spirit Barry, :wink2:
Chicago, has so many architechtural riches,
buildings, bridges, the "el", new construction,
I love cranes! And all the cement companies.
Here's hoping that this will spin into something
that is alive and vibrant.

sue ellen
08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
current Chicago resident here....(and current grad student at the School of the Art Institute)

This might be an interesting option....
Toulouse-Lautrec and Montmartre (http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/toulouse_lautrec/lagoulue.html)

timelady
08-16-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm originally from Chicago and visit every year (family is back there). Hoping to attend art institute this summer! (next summer I mean, 2006) Their fees have finally become reasonable. (see my swap shop thread) All my paintings are of Lake Michigan for the last year or so. :D

Would love to meet up with some folk when I'm in town so I'll look back at this. :)

Tina.

Nancy04530
08-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Good Morning, Sue Ellen,
I think a special visit to the Exhibit
of Toulouse-Lautrec is a great idea,
I am going, if anyone wants to join,
I'd be glad to go with another.

Tina, I am glad, that you are thinking
of a serious art education, although,
I can't believe what they are charging.
And I went to the lake yesterday, it's so
relaxing, and breathtaking, at the same time.
I'm really pleased that you chose to
honor it's beauty

There is more responses, then I figured for,
this early on, perhaps the time has come,
for something to take shape and come into
Reality. Isn't that what art's all about,
Nothing changing into Something.

timelady
08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Don't worry, I'm not thinking of a serious art education. ;) And I didn't think the fees were that much - $425 for non credit 6 week (ish) summer course? Seems fairly reasonable to me, unless I'm missing other fees somewhere (possible). I want to do it basicallly because I didn't go through the traditional art school, I trained privately with an artist. So I'm at a point where I'd like some serious peer review and sharing. I'd like to do the studio painting class where there's (hopefully) lots of critique and formal analysis and discussion. I'm at a stage where my abstraction has purpose but I still find it difficult to verbalise and present my ideas. And I'd just like to see what other artists are doing that side of the pond. It would be a huge treat, because I rarely have time out from the studio for such a lengthy commitment for purely 'developmental' activities. It's terrible but true. :( Anyway, I'm thinking of doing 2 courses for non-credit. :) The other one would probably be the painting in the museum class, just because it'd be cool. heh.

Ah.... I miss the lake!!!!!

Tina.

Nancy04530
08-20-2005, 03:03 AM
Tina,
I hope that you don't mind, that I want to keep this thread alive. :cool:
So what I would normally PM you, I'm just going to keep on writing here.
I personally have taken summer courses, at the Art Institute, and have
probably done some of my best work, because of for me, there was alot
of pressure, Many were learning, but some were outstanding,
and had experience. I would like to mention, that there is a free modeling
class for students, and alumni, it's usually 1 night per week, it's in the
Jackson building, if you are going in for painting, it is in the same place!
I understand completely, on the need to get your ideas down on paper,
Probably I will use this site, until the day I die, ideas and learning are here,
for the taking, and I think I will start the "Weekly Drawing Event"
I like a WinWin situation, where everyone profits, from eachother.
Hopefully a few people, will meet up and share their work together :music:
take care,
Nancy

timelady
08-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Drawing outings are great fun! We do try to do them here in London, though we've left off for a while.

I'd suggest the botanical gardens (with good ol' Will Shakespeare across the way) and Belmont Harbor would be fun! I used to live right there and miss going and sitting out on the rocks...

Tina.

sue ellen
08-21-2005, 12:48 AM
I live on Belmont Ave Tina!!! :) Right down the street from Belmont Harbor!

My experience at SAIC as been for the most part positive......it is an interesting place to go to School!

Nancy04530
08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
ha, I live in Bridgeport, right by White Sox Baseball, and I wish to heaven to make a friendship.

I really would give anything, to talk out ideas, find places of art inspiration.
and for joy, to work together outside.

Could I ask for the highest Ideal, and dream it out.

I am very interested in making a Real Friend.

RachelK
11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
:clap: Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes :clap:

I actually just posted something in a different forum and they said to check here.

I would love to meet people, go to museum, galleries, see each others work, and even collaborate (if anyone's interested). I am somewhat new to art, but I'm in my second year of BFA work at Columbia College, going part-time. I also think it would be really great to find a group to car pool up to Milwaukee for the shows up there. I think there's a Rembrandt exhibition now.

Rachel

dmarie117
11-20-2005, 10:19 PM
:clap: Nancy! Tina! Sue Ellen! I hope you believe in Serendipty...(total FATE-also the name of my co.) I always pop in WC, in fact since I found this site, I admit to being addicted. I'm from Chicago, and most of my life has been in the arts, in every area, also Art Institute/Goodman. I would love to meet and get together. Don't know if I've picked up this thread tonite, too late. The Toulouse exhibit is long gone. Please email me and we can chat.

Denise:angel:

RachelK
11-22-2005, 04:11 PM
There's the Tropicalia exhibit at the MCA. I've been wanting to see it, but haven't gone yet.

Rachel

NAZZ
12-05-2006, 10:30 AM
hey, this was a year ago! did u guys ever manage to get together? are u all still around and painting? want to form a critique group? check my other post in this forum if anyone's desperate to connect.

knolandesign
01-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm a new member here and would be interested if a group got together.

Always looking for new inspiration!

dinska
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Also a Chicagoan ... the Art Institute would be perfect this time of year.

jacki7154
01-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Let me know if you decide to meet.

John Carol
01-31-2007, 03:00 PM
sounds like a good idea

jacki7154
01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Has anyone ever done paintouts in the Chicago area?

NAZZ
02-01-2007, 03:57 PM
what's a "paintout"?
in feb, vollards art collection will be on display. includes a variety of artists. i'm not sure about the dates, but that would be a show worth seeing.

jacki7154
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
It is when you set up somewhere at least semi-public to paint.

mauve blue shade
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Chicago- Every Sat 8:30am-noonish we meet somewhere in the city to paint outdoors. All media. Rain shine summer winter. Yes, two hearty souls (fools) went out this past weekend in sub zero and painted the lovely exterior of the Avalon Ballroom in Uptown. Not me. I took a few photos, and retreated to the studio. No fee. no instruction. a critique if you want it at the finish. Go to the blogsite on Thursday (usually by late afternoon) to see where the location will be: www.pleinairpaintersofchicago.blogspot.com

jacki7154
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
thanks . . . . I will check blog from home . . . . here at work it is blocked from my computer