PDA

View Full Version : Question about Aluminum Foil

Wally's Mom
01-09-2002, 02:43 PM
I am just starting to toy with an idea for an oval Convexo canvas I have -- I'm toying with doing a fish bowl effect. (You know where the edges are distorted by the glass.)

I am also toying with using aluminum foil. This is what I'm thinking of doing: crumpling up a piece of foil, and then carefully spreading it out and affixing it to the canvas with acrylic medium, and then (when dry) painting over it.

So the question is, do you think there will be an adhesion problem with the acrylics not sticking to the aluminum foil ?

sassybird
01-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Sorry for taking so long to respond to your post. I have been thinking about it for a couple of days. When it comes right down to it there is nothing better than experimentation. Aluminum is fairly cheap, and in doing a new piece with a medium I am not sure of I spend a lot of time just playing with it. I would be very interested in seeing what results you get. So, please post a progress pic, and let us know what steps you took.

Wally's Mom
01-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks Sassybird,

That's a good suggestion. I think what I'm going to do is split this project into 2 projects. (I do have a strong tendancy to try to accomplish too much all at once.) The underwater scene I started last night -- painted the entire oval canvas with irridescent silver. Next I hope to use a sponge to put in a thin layer of blues, greens and tans over the silver to complete the background.

In the meantime, I will play with attaching aluminumn foil to some of my canvas panels and see what kind of effects I can come up with.

I always enjoy seeing what you all come up with in this forum. Thanks for your encouragement.

'Becca ("Wally's Mom")

joemajury
01-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Just dont expect the foil to hold the water for the fish tank :D

I look forward to seeing the completed piece.

Joe
;) ;)

Wally's Mom
01-18-2002, 12:23 PM
Tee Hee, No fear of that Joe.

I was thinking more like:

"It's only a paper moon, over a foil sea . . ."

Any way, I'm using the foil for wave shapes, fishes, etc.

It's small enough to scan, so I'm doing a few "in progress" scans as I go. I'll be sure to post the finished product, once it is.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Leaflin
01-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Hi Wally's Mom :)
I have absolutely no advice to give you :D
:clap: But I sure am looking forward to what you come up with and to your progress posts :clap:

Wally's Mom
01-22-2002, 09:10 PM
O.K. Here is the "final" picture.

-- Let's see if I get it attached correctly the first time.

arlene
01-23-2002, 02:18 PM
this came out great...what a fun look

Wally's Mom
01-23-2002, 02:59 PM
Thanks Arlene! :D