PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Wdders Aug 15-21

Helen
08-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi All, I'm back from a very relaxing week painting and playing. I haven't caught up on everything from last week yet and probably won't for a few days. Did see the new grandchild Lorna.... beautiful baby; papa isn't bad looking either :) Looks like you and Cori had a grand time painting together. So did my friend Terry and I.... here are some of the small pieces I did lined up on the staircase.... I'm trying to do some still lifes.... you can't see it clearly but with the exception of the last one which was a lesson from Charles Reid.... there is a model boat in each of them :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2005/998-done_at_spider_lake.jpg
And the first of my Alaska Series finished
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2005/998-Alaska_Series_Elfin_Cove.jpg
And the peaceful view we looked at every morning
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2005/998-morning_at_spider_lake.jpg
And finally, my friend at work with acrylics and two of her finished pastels on her easel http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2005/998-Terry_2_done_switch_media.jpg
You can see the view we both had even painting inside.... it was a wonderful week.

Now I have to play catchup here at home....

guilliame
08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Helen,glad you had a nice time,thanks for the photos,i like your boat painting :clap: the little ones on the stairs are not too clear on my screen :)
Lorna,my congratulations to everyone in your family for your grandaughter,i am relieved to know that when she opens her eyes and looks up she will see the second sketched sp :D ,btw i liked Cori and your paintings,loks like you had a good day out,which brings me to my news in a minute.
Connie my congratulations on your sales :clap: seems like you are on a roll :)
OK MY NEWS
I have managed to get some time off to attend the wetcanvas watercolour get together in yorkshire,a country village called kettlewell where they made the film the calendar girls which starred helen mirren,i will be joining up with some old friends i met last year at the kington meet and hopefully new ones.
It is only a month away now,kicks off on the 17th sept for a week of plein aire painting weather permitting :) you know what our english weather is like,if it rains then we can paint each other indoors,and as a last resort there is always the pub :D hopefully i can learn a lot more about watercolour this time out,i can use them but i use them neat like i use pastels,gotta try and get into washes and colour runs,so all my travel plans are booked,just got to wait now,if you want to see where i'm going here is the link

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228195&page=1&pp=15

click on kettlewell wharfedale yorkshire once in click on gallery for scenes of the local countryside,also click on dale house and you can see where we are all staying,whooo hoooo :D

khourianya
08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Great photos, Helen. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad your trip went well

ohhh - that is going to be such fun, Guilli. I wish I was going to be in the UK next month...every photo on that site is a painting in itself!

Well, I am very happy today. I dropped cam off at work and went to the store to see if I could get some clothes...and left with 3 pairs of pants that fit and are long enough!!! If any of you lived through my saga a few months ago about trying on a hundred pairs and settling for less than perfect, you will understand. I now have more than one pair of jeans to wear in my off time and another pair of pants that looks different from my other work pants. So happy. Just try to pull me off of cloud 9!!!

connievanwinssen
08-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

Helen, great photos! Looks like you had a great time :)

Guilliame, I envy you. That sounds like a lot of fun. Are you going to stay in a hotel or b&b?

Cori, great news. I know exactly what you mean, I also have long legs :(

Well I have nothing to report. My youngest son just gave in his last papers at his school (he wants to be a schoolteacher). If they are not good, he has to leave school (sort of last chance for him). So although he doesn't deserve it I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Have a nice week!

guilliame
08-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Connie :wave: no hotel or b&b,a house and the cottage next door has been reserved for us,which would be self catering,there are 34 confirmed people going,and if we all put in 10 that would be 340 enough to go to the local supermarket to buy breakfast etc :D
I would be staying in Dale House,so if you click on the link,then click on dale house that will take you to the website where you will see a list down the left hand side home page,the house,the villace etc,click on the house and you will see the accomodation,the lounge,kitchen all mod cons fitted,bedrooms and bathrooms,whoo getting excited now writing about it :)

bjcpaints
08-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone - just a quick hello to say I missed everyone here - just back from vacation in Maine. Wonderful relaxing time visiting my daughter and grandkids and painting as much as I could when they were not around.
Helen, Your Alaska series painting is wonderful! Someday I will paint the harbor in Belfast where the red tugboat lives.
Guilli - I am excited for you! Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time!
Connie, Thanks again for your wonderful job hosting. I'm still trying to get in on Mike's WDE now. I am keeping my fingers crossed for your son too!
Cori, I broke down and bought a pair of those low rise jeans (on sale). I feel funny when I wear them and have to keep pulling them up but at least they aren't too tight or too short!
Well, I will try and catch up some more tomorrow.
Best wishes,
Barbara

lorna12
08-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone:wave:

Helen...it looks like you were very productive on your trip...what a lovely place!

Guilli...I'm soooo jealous!! Wish I could go too! :crying: I read the whole thread from the trip last year and was green with envy then, too. Please be sure to provide us with a link to the thread telling about the trip either while you're there or when you get back and I hope you're scheduled for hosting a WDE sometime after you get back...take lots of pictures!! (I'll even give you my spot on Dec. 16th, if you want it! :wink2: :D )

Connie...good luck to your son!

Hi Cori and Barbara!! :wave:

Not much news here...it's raining again or should I say still...so I'm do lots of odds and ends around the house...like laundry. :rolleyes: I'm still trying to catch up on the wde so I better get going. Ta :wave:

Helen
08-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi Lorna, Cori, Barbara, Connie and Guilli. Yes, my trip was wonderful. It's my brother's cottage and they are gradually fixing it up so they can live there when he retires. It's almost too nice for Terry and I now but we move furniture out of the way and put down plastic. We realized this year that next year will be our 10th Anniversary of going there to paint. When we first went it was a very tiny two bedroom, 1 bath, a combo kitchen, dining and living room. Now it's 4 bedrooms, three bathrooms, still a combo kitchen, dining and living room but much nicer than the original and a family room on the lower level. In addition they have lots of water toys so we can go out on a pontoon boat and paint or take kayaks into the various coves or take a speedboat ride.... my brother loves his toys. His excuse is that it's for the grandchildren but I know him... the toys would be there even if there were no grandchildren. I love the speedboat too but for painting we do more kayaking though not this year.

Guilli, your trip sounds like such fun and the images.... WOW; wish I could join you all. I'm with Lorna... take lots of photos.

Connie, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your son. My son is a teacher.

Barbara, so glad you were able to make your trip.... did you take photos. I visited Maine many years ago... before I had a decent camera and before I had any idea that I really was an artist.

Cori, glad you finally found some pants...

bjcpaints
08-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Barbara, so glad you were able to make your trip.... did you take photos. I visited Maine many years ago... before I had a decent camera and before I had any idea that I really was an artist.

Helen,
My DH took 86 photos! I will post a couple one evening this week. Belfast, Maine is where I painted my first rock 3 years ago. That was the start of my wonderful journey as a artist. I love what you said about not having any idea that you really were an artist! At my last show - 2 weeks ago? - a little girl who was looking at my paintings came up to me and asked " Are you an artist?". I smiled at her and said "yes". She said "wow". That was something that made me feel great and I did not anticipate.
Barbara

khourianya
08-16-2005, 12:53 PM
lol about the low rise pants. I had to stop wearing anything too low a year or so ago after I put on a bit of weight...now I look for mid-rise. not up to my armpits, but doesn't give an unwanted show either :D

I got a huge biit of horrible news today. My old supervidsor at the college has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is really young (only in her mid-30s) and my entire heart is going straight to her at this time. She is my first "friend" to be diagnosed so it is really hard to wrap my head around. I had wondered if she was sick for a long time and she apparently made the announcement yesterday.

Helen
08-16-2005, 03:23 PM
So sorry Cori.... what's her name? I'll add her to my prayer group's list

khourianya
08-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Her name is Terri. Thanks Helen.

Well, I finally found a paper rack for my studio..the perfect one in fact. It was donated to a local interfaith furniture store just this morning and I happened to be in looking for one. It will fit up to 18 X 24 and has 40 shelves so i can sort my papers by type and colour! Very nice find for only $20

lorna12
08-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Cori...I'm sorry to hear that news of your friend...if you are talking to her, tell her if she wants to talk to someone who has been there, give her my number or email. I know for myself it would have been nice to talk to someone who knows what you're going through and can answer some of the millions of questions one has. I wish her all the best.

lorna12
08-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I had a great bit of fun last night going through Dick Blick's catalogue and placed a good sized order. I had a gift certificate for $100 that I won through North Light's last cover competition and added more than a $100 more to it...gee it was fun! I ordered some acrylic inks to try out in Maureen's classroom over in the acrylics forum...also a framers point driver and points (on sale as luck would have it!), some paint and a whole big bunch of Claybord Black. I wish some Canadian art supply places would carry that...I really have trouble finding it here. But Blick's prices are so good that even with the exchange and delivery it works out to what I'd pay here anyway...when I can find it!

Cori...you lucked into a find with that paper holder! If you ever see another one, keep me in mind! I don't have that many papers but it would work well for paintings on masonite and scratchboard, too. My dad goes to a lot of the thrift stores and flea markets..I'll get him to keep an eye out as well. Can you show us a picture of it??

Isn't tomorrow when you start your new job?? Good luck!!

khourianya
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Sure... :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2005/47843-paperrack.jpg

You should check out that Interfaith Furniture store just off Edmonton Trail. They always have neat stuff.

They did have another rack there that would comfortably hold up to 11 X 14 and had wider spaced shelves (about 5 of them) for $10. It does need a coat of paint, though. I don't know if it is meant to be a paper rack, but if it had of held a larger size, I would have picked it up (I saw it before i saw the one I bought)

I'll let her know of your offer. We had another lady in our department who has been going through treatment for breast cancer as well, so she may not call, but I imagine she is trying to find out all of her options and hearing the stories of others can help a great deal. Thank you.

lorna12
08-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks Cori...my parents live near that store and I'm visiting them tomorrow so I stop by and check it out.

I finally finished my commission piece (Ithink). It was a pain in the rump but it was also a cute piece to do...the thing that took me the longest was that blasted door...which was part of the reason they wanted this particular image (the door is on an old home in Montreal)...the other reason of course is the cute little boy, their grandson. Actually I'm really pleased with the way this turned out.:) Btw...I didn't use any black though it looks like it on the monitor..and I see I should add more shading darks on the cap. Do you guys see anything else that needs fixin??
Acrylic on masonite 8X10

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2005/11613-File0237.jpg

Helen
08-17-2005, 06:05 PM
That door looks like it would have been a real bear.... but I love the finish. I agree that you may be able to do a bit more dark on the cap but no one would notice if you didn't.... it's a good job Lorna...

silverflagon
08-17-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Cory, but it's not always fatal you perhaps already know that. Tell Terry that we are thinking of her.

I lkady I worked for had it and then lived 20+ years. She died in the end because of her great age, and not because of the cancer. I have also had two friends with breast cancer (am I a Jonah I ask myself?) :( One my closest friend died at Easter :crying: But the other seems to be strong except for lymphodema in her arm caused by the chemo. So there s every chance for Terry. *Hugs!* Be strong for her won't you, it isn't easy for those around them, but they can't run away from it.

Carol often said that she wanted to run away, but it wasn't possible, so we lived for the moment instead. I have great memories of her. :)

Lorna I adore that boy and the door :eek: It's absolutely amazing, what detail. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

khourianya
08-17-2005, 11:30 PM
The first day at my new job went very well. I found out that the position is slightly more senior than I thought, but I am up for the challenge. best of all, they have really gone to great lengths to accomodate me and my work style so it will be really enjoyable. It was a very happy day!

Stushnov
08-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Cori, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend...but, think positively. My mother was diagnosed many moons ago and lived for over 25 years! That was way before the advances they've made now.

Lorna, your little boy at the door is lovely. So much detail!!! My hat is off to you.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry I haven't been around much. Dh is off on vacation and I haven't had a lot of time to devote to making art. I did however, start a watercolour of a Bird of Paradise that I'm hoping to enter into a local fair. The deadline is next Thursday, so I need to get cracking. It's coming along okay, but I feel like maybe I've just jinxed myself !:D I have one large leaf that I'm a bit nervous about tackling. If I can get passed that, I think the rest may go well!!! I'll keep you posted. Let me know what you think so far. The yellow is not masking, but a wash of new gamboge. This is a photo from the reference library. Thanks TeAnne!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2005/63917-The_Bird_WEB.jpg

stoney
08-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Hi Helen,glad you had a nice time,thanks for the photos,i like your boat painting :clap: the little ones on the stairs are not too clear on my screen :)
Lorna,my congratulations to everyone in your family for your grandaughter,i am relieved to know that when she opens her eyes and looks up she will see the second sketched sp :D ,btw i liked Cori and your paintings,loks like you had a good day out,which brings me to my news in a minute.
Connie my congratulations on your sales :clap: seems like you are on a roll :)
OK MY NEWS
I have managed to get some time off to attend the wetcanvas watercolour get together in yorkshire,a country village called kettlewell where they made the film the calendar girls which starred helen mirren,i will be joining up with some old friends i met last year at the kington meet and hopefully new ones.
It is only a month away now,kicks off on the 17th sept for a week of plein aire painting weather permitting :) you know what our english weather is like,if it rains then we can paint each other indoors,and as a last resort there is always the pub :D hopefully i can learn a lot more about watercolour this time out,i can use them but i use them neat like i use pastels,gotta try and get into washes and colour runs,so all my travel plans are booked,just got to wait now,if you want to see where i'm going here is the link

click on kettlewell wharfedale yorkshire once in click on gallery for scenes of the local countryside,also click on dale house and you can see where we are all staying,whooo hoooo :D

Sounds like a fine time will be had by all. :clap: :clap:

If you think Engish weather is bad, try the weather at Holy Loch, Scotland! Great folks there, though and the scenery can't be beat.

stoney
08-18-2005, 02:00 AM
lol about the low rise pants. I had to stop wearing anything too low a year or so ago after I put on a bit of weight...now I look for mid-rise. not up to my armpits, but doesn't give an unwanted show either :D

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

I got a huge biit of horrible news today. My old supervidsor at the college has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is really young (only in her mid-30s) and my entire heart is going straight to her at this time. She is my first "friend" to be diagnosed so it is really hard to wrap my head around. I had wondered if she was sick for a long time and she apparently made the announcement yesterday.

[wince] I know the feeling. Last week my brother was diagnosed with cancer in his neck.

stoney
08-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Thanks Cori...my parents live near that store and I'm visiting them tomorrow so I stop by and check it out.

I finally finished my commission piece (Ithink). It was a pain in the rump but it was also a cute piece to do...the thing that took me the longest was that blasted door...which was part of the reason they wanted this particular image (the door is on an old home in Montreal)...the other reason of course is the cute little boy, their grandson. Actually I'm really pleased with the way this turned out.:) Btw...I didn't use any black though it looks like it on the monitor..and I see I should add more shading darks on the cap. Do you guys see anything else that needs fixin??
Acrylic on masonite 8X10

That one would give me a nervous breakdown! :eek:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

stoney
08-18-2005, 02:09 AM
The first day at my new job went very well. I found out that the position is slightly more senior than I thought, but I am up for the challenge. best of all, they have really gone to great lengths to accomodate me and my work style so it will be really enjoyable. It was a very happy day!

:cool: :clap:

lorna12
08-18-2005, 03:46 AM
Hi peoples,:wave:

Thankyou for your comments on the boy...were you all being polite and not mentioning how crooked the far door frame was??;) :D I noticed it on here and set about fixing that then I noticed how crooked the bottom of the center panel of the door was...will fix that tomorrow night. In my defense, it's very hard to see in the photo they gave me, but now I see better what the top is like and will do the bottom the same (should have done that in the first place!) I did fix the hat.

Shar, that's going to be a real winner! It's coming along beautifully! Don't forget to show us when it's finished.

Cori...glad to hear the 1st day went well!

Stoney...sorry to here about your brother.:( I wish him the best of luck.

Sharrm
08-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi everyone,
Helen.....love you pics at the lake with your longtime friend. Lovely friendship you must have there.
Lorna......That's a beautiful piece with the young lad. That door would have driven me nuts. Do you find there is a lot of pressure when doing commissions? Not necessarily verbal from the purchaser, but from yourself?? Like what do you do if you get tired of it, or better question, how do you keep the motivation going to finish the piece, if you start to loose interest in it?
Cori..........was wondering how your first day went, sounds like it was a good start. BTW I did order the French Easel, it's on it way woohooo. my first easel :) Thankyou that was a great tip
Shar......we have the same likes, I started a painting last week from that very same reference!!! Yours is going to be a real beauty, especially in watercolor.
I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know anything about "dabblerdot" Think her name was Lauren. Have been wondering what happened to her???
Oh gosh, it's almost 3 a.m. got to get some sleep. Have a good day :wave:

Helen
08-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi All, Shar that piece is looking very nice.... definately post the finish.

ironhorse
08-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Hay gang!;

I'm having a crazy week. Mostly try to recover from the weekend of Model horse showing. 12 hour days standing on paved floors has really wrecked my back and hips. I guess I'm not a young as I used to be. :rolleyes: Was a good wekend tho. I came home with Grand Champion of show. As well as the two speciality awards. If you want to see some pics check here:
http://www.castletoys.ca/modelwest2005/index.html

On the home front My Mom will be having surgery soon to get the top part on one lung removed. She has a large turmour that needs to come out. At first they said she only had a 2% chance of it not being cancer but after an ultrsound they said it is nno cancer. WHEW that was a relef. But its still a bad surgery because its wrapped around a major artery. So once it is done I may be a bit scarce around here as she wil need lots of help for three months. I've already given up Mod position in watercolour. That fourm is way too demanding to keep. But not to worry I'm staying here and in A&W.

On the better news front. Hubby is going on confrance again in Nov and wants me to come again. This year it's in Orlando at Disney World. Was wondering if we had anyone here from that area that might want to get together??

Stushnov keep going that painting is going to be amazing.

Helen what an impressive collection of painting. Your giving me some insperation.

Lorna what a great piece. No wonder they love it!

guilliame please give the watercolour people a hug from me. I wish I could come too. Please take pics for us all to see!

Cori congrats on the new job! My thoughts and preyers are with your firend.

Twyla

stoney
08-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi peoples,:wave:

Thankyou for your comments on the boy...were you all being polite and not mentioning how crooked the far door frame was??;) :D I noticed it on here and set about fixing that then I noticed how crooked the bottom of the center panel of the door was...will fix that tomorrow night. In my defense, it's very hard to see in the photo they gave me, but now I see better what the top is like and will do the bottom the same (should have done that in the first place!) I did fix the hat.

Shar, that's going to be a real winner! It's coming along beautifully! Don't forget to show us when it's finished.

Cori...glad to hear the 1st day went well!

Stoney...sorry to here about your brother.:( I wish him the best of luck.

I saw the intricate door then the boy then the door and promptly had a 'nervous breakdown' and a case of 'hefty gibbering.' :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ta, Lorna.

silverflagon
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Stoney I am so sad to hear about your brother, but I'm sure that they will do their best for him, and I know that you will stand by him as well. You sound like a great brother to him

Lorna that bird of paradise flower looks great and will look a treat when it's finished. :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope I don't miss the finished version.

I'm sorry if I don't post very often, and I miss out on some things, but as well as still being wet behind the ears, I also have physical problems that seem to be getting worse:( I'm blaming everything, from my spoonylitus to fibromyalgia:(

And I am a long standing memeber of another gallery that is going through a very rocky patch at the moment, and I have spent these last three nights typing, typing, typing, just trying to sort things out. :(

I hope evreyone has a great week, and very productive as well. Please ignore my selfpity, it wil wear of soon.

ottwork
08-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Hello all - can't believe it is already Thursday (and not much left of it, at that!) My boys started school this week, so we've been a little nuttier than usual around my house! It all went well, though - they really seem to like it. Connie asked about the cooperative school last week - why they go 3 days and stay home 2 - I'll give the short answer... The public schools here are overcrowded, the teachers are underpaid and under-resourced, and the standards are quite low. This is fairly typical for the southeastern US, unless you live in an area with higher taxes and higher average incomes. Other options are usually private schools - with exorbitant tuition - or home-schooling - which can result in under-socialization of the kids (and over-work of the parent-teacher!). The cooperative school is sort of a combo of the two options. Low tuition and 2 days a week of home-schooling. This allows us the flexibilily to add in things that are unavailable otherwise, such as individualized music and art programs, community service, etc. without having the demands of full-time home-schooling. It also allows us to integrate our faith into the boys' education, which is not the case in public schools.

Okay -that wasn't such a short answer, was it?? :rolleyes:

Cory- I'm sorry to hear of your friend's illness. I am quite certain that it is a frightening time for her, and she will need a lot of support and prayer and encouragement during this time. The medical field has made such huge advances in breast cancer treatments - I pray your friend will be a beneficiary of them. I am glad to hear that your first day of work went so well! I hope it continues in that same vein!!

Lorna - I just assumed that if you painted it like that, the doorpost must have actually been crooked!! :D What a sweet and completely unique painting. I'm sure your clients are quite pleased with it!

Shar - that bird of paradise is quite yummy already! One day I'm going to try some watercolors and just hope and pray they start out so great!! Post updates, please!!

Twyla - I hope your mom's surgery goes well and she recovers quickly.

Everyone else...HI!! Sorry if I missed you - but I think this post is getting WAY too long!

lorna12
08-19-2005, 02:03 AM
(Psssst...Steph...the beautiful bird of paradise is Shar's!)

Twyla..I saw coverage of the show on TV and wondered if you were there...Congratulations on all your wins!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: Was that the big winner with the purple ribbon??
I'm sorry to hear about your mom but I'm hoping everything goes alright for her (and you!)

I'll be here for the start of the WDE in the morning, but then I'm off camping in the afternoon......see you all after the weekend :wave:

HRH Goldie
08-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi just found the thread my internet is the worst in the world - slower than dial up unbelievable but sooooooo true. DH thinks I have a conflict somewhere but can't as yet find it so every drop of patience I have is taken up on waiting for threads to load. After posting this I shall go and read the last three pages as judging by the last couple of posts there is significant news from friends here and I have to catch up with what is happening. :wink2:

But I couldn't wait any longer to share my bit of good news with you - yes I actually have some for a change!

I GOT AN A FOR MY RESULTS YESTERDAY!!!!!!!

I wasn't going to go to college to get them as I thought not knowing at least there was hope. My daughter forced me and now I can't quite believe it. I know it is only half an A level but significant that it was achieved one night a week from September to April! Also with my shoulder being really bad during that time I feel a tiny bit proud of myself. Especially saying as I haven't done any academic work for many a year. :wink2: I can't wait to enrol for the second year now - I just hope I can draw in the life classes - my bug bear lol.
DH will have to put up with 'stuff' being in every room again though so I think this was at the back of his mind when he congratulated me.
Eeeeeh I can't believe it my first PROPER qualification in ART!
I wish I could have five minutes with my art teacher from when I was 13! Boy would I have something to say to him for telling me not to choose it as one of my subjects because I was rubbish!!!!!!!! BAD TEACHER!!!! :mad:

connievanwinssen
08-19-2005, 07:05 AM
That's great news Christine :) Congratulations!!!! :clap:

lorna12
08-19-2005, 10:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/11613-Woohoo_waytogo.gif CHRISTINE!

We knew it all along! :wink2: :D

Stushnov
08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
WOHOO!!! Congratulations Christine!!! I'm very proud of you! Well done!You get a whole cheering section!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

stoney
08-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Stoney I am so sad to hear about your brother, but I'm sure that they will do their best for him, and I know that you will stand by him as well. You sound like a great brother to him

I'll probably be taking the train back east in the next couple of months. Timing is dependant upon events. Thank you for the good wishes.

Lorna that bird of paradise flower looks great and will look a treat when it's finished. :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope I don't miss the finished version.

I'm sorry if I don't post very often, and I miss out on some things, but as well as still being wet behind the ears, I also have physical problems that seem to be getting worse:( I'm blaming everything, from my spoonylitus to fibromyalgia:(

You might be 'wet behind the ears,' but I've filled a few 'swimming pools!' ;)

And I am a long standing memeber of another gallery that is going through a very rocky patch at the moment, and I have spent these last three nights typing, typing, typing, just trying to sort things out. :(

I hope evreyone has a great week, and very productive as well. Please ignore my selfpity, it wil wear of soon.

Ignore? Nope. Everyone gets 'steamrolled' from time to time and its often helpful to put it in writing. Gambaru=hang in there. :wave:

stoney
08-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi just found the thread my internet is the worst in the world - slower than dial up unbelievable but sooooooo true. DH thinks I have a conflict somewhere but can't as yet find it so every drop of patience I have is taken up on waiting for threads to load. After posting this I shall go and read the last three pages as judging by the last couple of posts there is significant news from friends here and I have to catch up with what is happening. :wink2:

But I couldn't wait any longer to share my bit of good news with you - yes I actually have some for a change!

I wasn't going to go to college to get them as I thought not knowing at least there was hope. My daughter forced me and now I can't quite believe it. I know it is only half an A level but significant that it was achieved one night a week from September to April!

Anything acheived via night school is significant based in its own right!
I'm cheering on the good news although I don't pretend to understand it. In the US getting an 'A' is top tier results.

Also with my shoulder being really bad during that time I feel a tiny bit proud of myself. Especially saying as I haven't done any academic work for many a year. :wink2: I can't wait to enrol for the second year now - I just hope I can draw in the life classes - my bug bear lol.
DH will have to put up with 'stuff' being in every room again though so I think this was at the back of his mind when he congratulated me.
I wish I could have five minutes with my art teacher from when I was 13! Boy would I have something to say to him for telling me not to choose it as one of my subjects because I was rubbish!!!!!!!! BAD TEACHER!!!! :mad:

(chuckling)

/imagery
"Bad Teacher! (thwap on nose with rolled up newspaper) Go sit in the corner with the dunce cap on."

Helen
08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
WooHoo is right... way to go Christine :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

OzonaLori
08-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Christine,
Great news, so I'm standing up and cheering for you with a big
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/46879-Yippeeee.jpg

stoney
08-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Just wondering, did I miss something on 'Shriek' or is it time to varnish it?
I highlighted a point of concern.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275521

ottwork
08-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Way to Go, Christine!!!!!! Yippee!!

kordelia
08-19-2005, 12:51 PM
well, what a week we've had!!!! for all the sad ones, please know that i'm sad with/for you... had a "procedure" myself this week, and the preparation for it was 14X worse than the procedure itself... but looks okay for now....but i know the anticipation and the horror of that pronouncement.... hugs going out in all directions....

and our one big fat good news (tho, like Stoney, i dont understand the rating system...)...Christine is now spelled with an "A"............. TA DA!!!!!!

was it here i saw Helen's getaway week??? o, my heart yearns........

but, sorry, the best 'picture' was what Guilli painted with words: if the weather doesnt hold, they will paint eachother... having seen Calendar Girls, i got a picture of a bunch of nude artists sitting around painting eachother's faces and backs....discreetly, of course, over a cuppa!!!!!! Guilli, it'll be a long time til i get that pic out of my head.... too funny!!!!

can i share my "Rainy Morning" on here??? for some reason, seems 'up-beat' instead of depressingly rainy......... enjoy................ off to a great WDE, yet again!!!.......... Kory http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/22002-Rainy_Morning_1.jpg

Stushnov
08-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Hello again,

First off, Kory, glad to hear your procedure went well. And I have to tell you that I absolutely love your "Rainy Morning"!! It's brilliant!! What an effect!

I thought I would post my finished B of P. After working on it most of yesterday and fiddling with it this morning, I'm packing it in and calling it finished. The colours aren't quite as true as IRL. I have yet to figure out what to set my silly camera for. I'm planning on putting a plain white mat and a simple and dark rosewood frame on it. All cc is appreciated.

Curious....does anyone else go to bed at night and dream about painting? I guess as long as I don't flail my arms around simpulating brushstrokes and bean the other half in the head it's okay!!

I'm off to choose some pics from the WDE!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/63917-MVC-293F_WEB.jpg
Shar

kordelia
08-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Shar.... you've heard the expression: In Your Dreams....... well???? your BofP is to die for, girl...... Best of Show at the least............ :clap:

Helen
08-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Cory or is it Kory? Anyway, she's right Shar.... the BofP is wonderful.... and so is your rainy day piece Kori.

I've been masking all morning.... now time for lunch and then I may tackle on of the WDE images...

guilliame
08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
First of all Christine :wave: COGRATULATIONS :music:
Going to be in kettlewell,yorkshire dales next month,wetcanvas watercolour meet,34 people confirmed,looking on the map to see how near or far you and Maureen are :
Kordelia,so glad you shared this,it's certainly got that rainy day feel :clap:
Re the naked art studio lol :D ROTFL.
Shar,thats gorgeous :clap: :clap:
Twyla,my best wishes to your Mum,hoping all goes well,congrats on the show :clap:
Lorna,so many things to be :envy: vious in this pic,the detail in the lattice grille :clap: you must be blessed with the patience of job

connievanwinssen
08-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Shar, Lorna and Kordelia: Great paintings, all three of them. Each very different, but all good!

All those with bad news: I'll be thinking of you. Good luck and courage!

Sorry, if I don't name each of you, but you know, when you're a bit late checking the posts it's almost too much to answer everyone and then I don't reply at all. I'm reading everything though.

guilliame
08-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Lorna,continued :D held down the shift key too long looking for the question mark,thought it was up with the numbers and it was right next to the shift key all along duh,anyway i lost the facility to type had to shut everything down and restart :) anyway patience of job?,the latch door handle is to die for,love the painting of the boy and the material,nice imprssion of the stonework too,my nit pic is that the door top RHS seems crooked coming down to the stonework,your client will be well pleased with this :clap: :clap:
Lorna and Twyla :wave: ref photo's of the meet in kettlewell,our one and only Roger [Rpf] our official photographer will be there and sure to take loads of photo's and they will be probaly be uploaded daily onto the watercolour general forum,i dont know about access to a computer until i get there,34 people and 1 puter,still i will take my digi and take loads of pics.

Sharrm
08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-dancin_WooHool.gif CHRISTINE

That's Wonderful News, It Was A Long Wait, I'm so pleased for you!!!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-smilie_clap.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-smilie_clap.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-smilie_clap.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-smilie_bravo.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-smilie_clap.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-smilie_clap.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/32965-smilie_clap.gif

ironhorse
08-19-2005, 04:36 PM
WAY TO GO Christine!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shar that is stunning!!!!

Twyla

Charlie's Mum
08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
I've pinched this from Lorna for you Christine - even tho' we've already talked today! The girl done good eh folks? :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/30494-11613-Woohoo_waytogo.gif

Fantastic paintings ladies (please forgive me not detailing them all!)- and yes, Shar - I frequently have disturbed nights because of painting (and this site!!!!!) :wink2:

Stoney - I'll try to look in on Shriek and see what you're asking about!

I'm just catching up - and that takes yonks!!!!!

However, having read but not replied, the poorly ones have all bee in in my prayers - and now you too Kory.

Cory - glad the job seems good for you, it seems you will be happy there.

One of our friends has just been told she has a cluster of three tumours on her brain - no symptoms until Wednesday afternoon when her short-term memory short-circuited - now she's in hospital awaiting biopsies on Monday - so if you would, please add Ann to your list :)

I'm framing 11 pics (well, 8, because 3 are done already!) for next Thursday - so I'm a trifle busy :eek: ........ and I've just ben asked if I'll paint a cat for a friend's wife.

Guilli - would love to join you all in Kettlewell - just have to see how things pan out - it's probably about 1hr 30 mins if the traffic is OK, but the road works up here are really atrocious just now - definitely the 'Silly Season'.

Sharron - Dabblerdot is fine - just lots of other things to occupy her at present :D

Has anyone heard from Zyffyr - (Terralyn)? I fear she must be poorly.
Perhaps we'd better send her positive vibes ^^^^^^^ :)

Must look in to Acrylics, so TTYL :wave:

stoney
08-19-2005, 05:01 PM
well, what a week we've had!!!! for all the sad ones, please know that i'm sad with/for you... had a "procedure" myself this week, and the preparation for it was 14X worse than the procedure itself... but looks okay for now....but i know the anticipation and the horror of that pronouncement.... hugs going out in all directions....

and our one big fat good news (tho, like Stoney, i dont understand the rating system...)...Christine is now spelled with an "A"............. TA DA!!!!!!

was it here i saw Helen's getaway week??? o, my heart yearns........

but, sorry, the best 'picture' was what Guilli painted with words: if the weather doesnt hold, they will paint eachother... having seen Calendar Girls, i got a picture of a bunch of nude artists sitting around painting eachother's faces and backs....discreetly, of course, over a cuppa!!!!!! Guilli, it'll be a long time til i get that pic out of my head.... too funny!!!!

Don't forget body painting each other! :evil: :evil:

Maybe a nip of strawberry on the chocolate over there. ;)

can i share my "Rainy Morning" on here??? for some reason, seems 'up-beat' instead of depressingly rainy......... enjoy................ off to a great WDE, yet again!!!.......... Kory

Looks like the plants are 'dancing in the rain.' :clap: :clap:

stoney
08-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Hello again,

I thought I would post my finished B of P. After working on it most of yesterday and fiddling with it this morning, I'm packing it in and calling it finished. The colours aren't quite as true as IRL. I have yet to figure out what to set my silly camera for. I'm planning on putting a plain white mat and a simple and dark rosewood frame on it. All cc is appreciated.

Curious....does anyone else go to bed at night and dream about painting? I guess as long as I don't flail my arms around simpulating brushstrokes and bean the other half in the head it's okay!!

I'm off to choose some pics from the WDE!

My off-beat imagination struck twice. First impression was a feathered tusk. Second impression was someone overpacked the bowl with something mixed with some colourful powder, or something, that burns brightly.

No, I don't dream of painting while sleeping and I suspect you're correct. :)

stoney
08-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Stoney - I'll try to look in on Shriek and see what you're asking about!

I'm just catching up - and that takes yonks!!!!!

Ta, mum. Catching up? What a wild concept! I'm so far behind I'd be ecstatic to simply see the ruddy 8-ball! :eek:

I'm framing 11 pics (well, 8, because 3 are done already!) for next Thursday - so I'm a trifle busy :eek: ........ and I've just ben asked if I'll paint a cat for a friend's wife.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 11! (thud! (dead faint alert))

Must look in to Acrylics, so TTYL :wave:

On the bright side, I guess if one is very busy there's no time left to get bored.

HRH Goldie
08-19-2005, 07:49 PM
OMG just been playing catch up and I am sort of pleased that I posted before I read all of your posts or else I would have felt too bad to post a little bit of good news. :o

To all of you who are suffering through either having realatives/friends who are ill or who are poorly themselves I said a little prayer for you as I read through your posts. I feel qualified to say this being as I suffer from a serious illness - talk to them or if you are the one that is ill talk to your family/friends. The worse thing you can do is avoid the topic at all. Being the people we are we often shy away from talking about topics of illness and possible the ending of a life but there is nothing more definite in life - if we are born then we have to die. The sadness comes from people who have to face dilemmas such as this earlier than they should - Cori I refer to your friend Terri here. Just be there for her - that is the best thing you can do for her and stay upbeat but allow to give vent or tell you of her insecurities. It is true that a problem shared is a problem halved.
Great paintings everyone I am sooooo jealous.
Connie I shall think of your son at this crucial time for him and wish him well from me.
Guilli Maureen will be able to tell you better how far away we are from Yorkshire it depends what part but I would say about 70 miles at a rough guess.
Helen what a wonderful place to paint.

Thank you for all of your congratulations and mint graphic effects. :clap: I am telling the truth when I say I was so ready to throw in the proverbial towel if it weren't for you guys here.
For those who don't understand the exam system A levels are graded from A to E and then there is U for unclassified which means basically you couldn't even spell your name right lol.
Yes Pat A is the top tier. :wink2: I was doing AS level which is the first half of an A level. You can't do an A level in a year as you used to be able to. Next year I will do the second half called A2 and after that if I choose to continue it is foundation degree level.
But that is a long way off.
Well I am tired now so I shall head off - Maureen I shall add Annes name to the list of people I have to divert positive energy, thought and prayer too.
I hope you all have a great weekend.
TTFN
:wave:

stoney
08-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Thank you for all of your congratulations and mint graphic effects. :clap: I am telling the truth when I say I was so ready to throw in the proverbial towel if it weren't for you guys here.

You mean via the 'factory training method,' i.e. uni? If so, there's always independent study (which I call 'bootstrapping.' The person lifts him or herself via their own boot straps) ;)

For those who don't understand the exam system A levels are graded from A to E and then there is U for unclassified which means basically you couldn't even spell your name right lol.

A-D in the US followed by F which means you've flushed the course down the W.C..

Yes Pat A is the top tier. :wink2: I was doing AS level which is the first half of an A level. You can't do an A level in a year as you used to be able to. Next year I will do the second half called A2 and after that if I choose to continue it is foundation degree level.
But that is a long way off.

So these now are, more or less, prerequisite courses to get you to the basic entry level.

Well I am tired now so I shall head off - Maureen I shall add Annes name to the list of people I have to divert positive energy, thought and prayer too.
I hope you all have a great weekend.
TTFN
:wave:

Rest well, for you really deserve it after all your hard work. :clap: :clap:

silverflagon
08-20-2005, 11:51 AM
(Psssst...Steph...the beautiful bird of paradise is Shar's!)

Twyla..I saw coverage of the show on TV and wondered if you were there...Congratulations on all your wins!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: Was that the big winner with the purple ribbon??
I'm sorry to hear about your mom but I'm hoping everything goes alright for her (and you!)

I'll be here for the start of the WDE in the morning, but then I'm off camping in the afternoon......see you all after the weekend :wave:

:o :o :o Sorry Sharon, I thought that had said Sharon as well? Just shows how wrong I can be :o

silverflagon
08-20-2005, 12:10 PM

I wasn't going to go to college to get them as I thought not knowing at least there was hope. My daughter forced me and now I can't quite believe it. I know it is only half an A level but significant that it was achieved one night a week from September to April! Also with my shoulder being really bad during that time I feel a tiny bit proud of myself. Especially saying as I haven't done any academic work for many a year. :wink2: I can't wait to enrol for the second year now - I just hope I can draw in the life classes - my bug bear lol.

Way to go Christine, and my art history is about the same as yours. :( A rotten art teacher who was only interested in teaching the 60s style of painting and told me I was wasting my time :mad:

I started college last year, and did a life drawing class. It was very hard at fist and very scary, but determination pays of in the end. I am really happy for your results and you earnt them.

I'm going back to college in September to do the third leven life drawing.

pst! I passed the second level :cat:

This was one I painted in the pre Easter lessons.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2005/44191-figrincontext600.jpg

It looks scary, but believe me know one draws like this the first few months, and many drop out as well.

Keep it up Christine and congratulations on the level you have already! :clap: :clap: :clap:

HRH Goldie
08-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks once again Pat we can get A to E but there is a 'U' too. Stands for unclassified but could stand for useless!

Steph great drawing but looks remarkably like our life model! Seems he gets around lol.
3rd level life drawing??? are they just small courses and not for academic qualifications? I know I sent for a prospectus from the Art College, London and they had courses like that where you got a certificate or diploma at the end. It cost an awful lot of money, but I know they do correspondence courses too.

More great news - RICHARD PASSED HIS DRIVING TEST!!!

Of course he has taken DH's car, DH has taken mine and therefore Mumsy here is left with no car!!!
Oh the bitter sweetness of being a mother.

connievanwinssen
08-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Good news Christine! Now you don't have to drive him to and from work :) . On the other hand: he'll be taking your car, I guess, so you don't have transportation :( . Are cars very expensive in England? :confused:

stoney
08-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks once again Pat we can get A to E but there is a 'U' too. Stands for unclassified but could stand for useless!

And the US's gets called "Mr. President."
/staffer
"Mr. President, George starts with a 'G' not a 'J.'"

Steph great drawing but looks remarkably like our life model! Seems he gets around lol.
3rd level life drawing??? are they just small courses and not for academic qualifications? I know I sent for a prospectus from the Art College, London and they had courses like that where you got a certificate or diploma at the end. It cost an awful lot of money, but I know they do correspondence courses too.

Are you looking to teach? (curiosity)

More great news - RICHARD PASSED HIS DRIVING TEST!!!

Of course he has taken DH's car, DH has taken mine and therefore Mumsy here is left with no car!!!
Oh the bitter sweetness of being a mother.

You'll just have to get another car.
(ducking and running while chuckling) :wave: :wave:

stoney
08-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Did more work on 'Shriek.' Did I eliminate the problem?

Thank you for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3801004#post3801004

HRH Goldie
08-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks Connie - I passed it on to him - you can pick up cheap and cheerful cars but it is the cost of getting them on the road i.e. tax and insurance that is the killer. We have no more pennies in the piggy bank for another car at the moment, Richard doesn't get a proper wage as he is on an apprenticeship (governments way of getting teenagers to work without paying them). In fact I think it is a damn disgrace if anyone knows Mr Blair! :mad: I shall tell you all what he gets for a 40 hour week 40!!!!!! One pound per hour and out of that he has to travel and eat! Impossible and I do not understand how this wasn't an election issue. No wonder the youth of today in this country are so disillusioned and often prefer to lie around instead of getting out and getting a trade or profession! Okay lol that is me off my hobby horse.
I think it is the wage of a third world country myself but there you go.

Pat ROFLOL at the President and I shall say nothing about the U.S.A having U in the title too! :evil: Oooh naughty me {{{{{{{smacks own wrists before anyone else can}}}}}}}}}
I posted a comment on your thread - excellent work may I say. :clap: :clap:

HRH Goldie
08-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Heee heee Pat just realised we have a U in UK too!!!!!!!!!!! Think that one backfired.