PDA

View Full Version : Scanner......<grrrr>

Jim.1
08-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Well I thought I would attempt to post a painting. So I scanned it and the colors are way askew :mad: :crying: :envy: :( :eek: . I assume that I am probably not the only person who has had this problem. I was wondering how other folks deal with it :confused: .

Do they import it into some graphics program like Paint Shop Pro and adjust color balance (seems like a real trial of patience) or are most of the postings made done by photographing paintings.

Thank you,
Jim

laudesan
08-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Jim that is probably the only way.

Most scanner don't scan true to life colours unfortunately..

Check your scanners settings tho' and see if you can set it to scan True Colour.

I prefer to use my Digital Camera, I have a Dimage A2 and it photographs true colour..

JustjoGA
08-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi, Jim... I have no digital camera, do have a scanner,
and all the ones I've posted are scanned, and if necessary,
brightness/contrast adjusted in my ArcSoft photo program.
It has all kinds of bells and whistles tht I have no knowledge
of, but my pictures as posted are close to actual colors...

Jo in Georgia

Roun2it
08-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Jim you should have some software from your Scanner, and this should allow you to make settings that are correct for you. You can normally set up the scanner to do a trial pass to get the size etc for cropping. On most scanners the software can be set with automatic presets for newspaper, magazines, photos etc. try these first.

It sounds like it may be trial and error for you.

Other thing worth mentioning is have you checked the website for the manufacturors, there may be an upgrade for you to down load, and there may be a disscussion site for people like you to get answers from others using the same kit.

FriendCarol
08-16-2005, 07:56 PM
One last little note... A surprisingly high number of people have their MONITORS badly calibrated. (Naturally, if you scan a painting, a badly calibrated monitor will make the colors look very far off!) See if you can find a site that displays known colors, and make sure your monitor is displaying something close to what you know they should be. Even a large image of a flag might work.

There are or used to be sites created just for this purpose. Alternatively, on purchasing a new monitor, one compares a physical color card (that came with it) to the display of that color on the monitor, then adjusts the values for RGB (red, green, & blue) separately until the monitor shows the same color as the little color card.

If I were you, I'd make sure my monitor is accurate before assuming the scanner is very wrong. (I've only got a Lexmark X75 printer being used only as a scanner; it isn't that bad, really.)

Yorky
08-17-2005, 02:41 AM
Jim, I moved this thread to the Workshop.

Regarding monitor calibration if you contact Photobox (http://www.photobox.co.uk/quality.html) they will send you a calibration print so you can adjust your monitor and scanner to get the best results.

Good advice to see if there is an updated driver for your scanner.

Doug

wayfarer
08-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for posting the link, Doug. I bookmarked it.

Chris

wayfarer
08-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Here is a link to a website I came across awhile ago. Lots of very specific info on scanning that may be of use. Scan Tips (http://www.scantips.com/)

Chris