PDA

View Full Version : Adhesives for Stencils?

pixieled
01-09-2002, 12:58 PM
I'm playing around with the new airbrush my husband bought me for Christmas (whoo hoo!) and ended up making a stencil of the mermaid I drew for practice until I can do it better freehand. Right now I'm just using a vinyl folder, some masking tape, and my finger to hold in areas not flat. I'm curious to know if anyone has a better suggestion of how to temporarily keep the stencil flat against the canvas while using an airbrush?

paintfool
01-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi Pixeled. I'm going to send a copy of this thread to the Mixed Media/alternative materials forum. Hopefully some one there will be able to help.
Cheryl

sassybird
01-11-2002, 07:20 PM
The problem I have found with using stencils is that to adhere them to a surface while working I take the chance on pulling up a bit of the paper when I am done with whatever I am working on. Things that would keep that from happening are too thick and would allow bleeding into areas I wanted to keep clean. Contact Keith Russell. You can find his profile in the members section. Seems I have heard he works with air brush a lot. You might also check in the illustration forum. There are a number of air brush artists in there.

Leaflin
01-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi pixieled :)
What a wonderful Christmas present.
What type of airbrush did he give you?

I have an iwata HP-C and an iwata compressor.

For masking on unworked surfaces or areas painted with stable inks, oils, alkyds and acrylics I sometimes use Frisket sold by the sheet.
Liquid Frisket is not recommended.

You can use weights or "slugs" which are thin, heavy flat rectangles of metal, to weight your mask down.

There are all sorts of masks and shields on the market.

If you would like a recommendation on a book I would suggest
"Airbrush: The Complete Studio Handbook" by Radu Vero

Here are some sites that might be of interest to you

http://www.airbrushaction.com/

This site has some wonderful tutorials on it

http://www.airbrushtalk.com/

I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your airbrush