PDA

View Full Version : Glazing with Liquin

online art
01-09-2002, 12:58 PM
I was wondering, if I wanted to add a colour tone to a finished painting could I glaze over the whole thing using Liquin (W+N) and just a little color.

Also would I need to do any oiling out required before the glaze or would the Liquin take care of this.

Many Thanks

Jason

vallarta
01-09-2002, 04:58 PM
I am not sure about the oiling out? Depends on the state of your canvas. If there are big dry spots I would oil. But then I would wait a day or two before I glazed even with Liquin.

You can glaze with Liguin and it works...however few people glaze an entire painting with one color. I suppose if you want to have the "rose color glasses" effect you could but I seldom see it done. Most glaze in a variety of colors depending on the effect they want in the spots they want to glaze. One tip.

If you glaze here and there with Liquin and not all over. When the glaze dries...wait 3 days for this...then glaze the entire canvas with Liquin. This is to make the sheen the same all over.

Vallarta

chris 97
01-09-2002, 06:52 PM
blending and glazing medium may be a better choice for what you want to do. you need VERY LITTLE B&G MEDIUM, or rather a very thin coat of it. usually when i use it, i apply it with a brush in a thi coat and then lay a single layer of tissue over it to blot before i add color over it.

henrik
01-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Should work; I did that once glazing a very thin warm yellow to adjust the tone because of the different lighting conditions of where the piece was painted and shown.

mirza
01-10-2002, 09:19 AM
When straight Liquin dries it turns an ugly brown (look at the mouth of the bottle). Do you really want that on your painting? I've done this, believe me--your lights will turn brown. I also suspect that this method of working is what leads to reports of Liquin delamination, but that's just a guess.

Use varnish to even out the sheen when you're done.

online art
01-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Vallarta, if I glaze the entire canvas after the 3 days will it be very shiny? And should I use the liquin as it comes from the bottle i.e. not thinning it at all?

I generally varnish my paintings with retouching varnish after they have dried for a while, is this still recommended/necessary after the above?

Thanks

Jason