PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Phylosopher's stone

Maffet
08-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Hello, :wave:
I am still waitins what editor will say for my sketch for next project and has nothing to do, which is rare, so I started picture only for my personal joy. I dont know when I will finish it as next two weeks I will be away all weekends and it's only time I can paint, but at least I wanted to show you what's on my working desk and that I am not lazy girl :D

O.k. first I post sketch of picture http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/8104-sketch.jpg

My idea was to paint one of my favorite fantasy characters from friend's short story. I know that person was based on Inigo Montoya character from Princess Bride. So I gave him similar face with funny smile and merry clever eyes. Character is kind of Alchemist searching for strange things in the world of astrology and alchemy. I wanted to paint him in his workshop which is also his home, so except great chaos I wanted to put planty of "home" details and of course "home sweet home" is not sweet without cats.

Paper is A3 size and here I did underpainting by sepia ink and over underpainting I used very tin layer of ocre/yellow, orange acryl to protect paper when I will use tuping by sharp fat brush. I left white space and used more light yellow on place where I want light of crystal. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/8104-sica.jpg

Maffet
08-14-2005, 04:50 PM
And here how it looks now. I worked all day very hardly only with short breaks. Stage with underpainting is from noon. Here I started with watercolor some layers. I always do most difficult things first because I know if I do them well, I will do well all picture and when I ruin it, I will not waste work. I used mostly shades of orange, yellow, ocre, mang. violet. I found that I nearly dont use browns and that I use mixture of orange and violet. There is also my favorite blue - indigo. There is still planty of things to repair, but I will keep it as it is and will work on background and both cats. I return to character at the end and will work on it's color chart and little mistakes. :-) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/8104-monday.jpg

nes7827
08-14-2005, 05:25 PM
You rule Maffet!

toyam
08-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Jana, you are so Good!! I always love to see your work, there are always so many things to look at in your paintings. Your character is very lifelike.... can't wait to see the finish..
Bonnie R

JustjoGA
08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Jana, this is just wonderful... each one of your paintings
seems to outshine the last ... I am always amazed at the
amount of detail you put into your works. Your drawing
skills really are outstanding, and ... well, I just LOVE it :D

Jo in Georgia

Yorky
08-14-2005, 05:53 PM
It's wanderful ;) Jana :clap: :clap:

Your figures are always excellent! BTW we will be listening to your demo disc at Kettlewell. Pity you can't be there in person.

Doug

andylavallee
08-14-2005, 06:04 PM
as always Jana fantastic picture, I'm glad that reference picture of me came in usefull :D

Maffet
08-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Hello to all for lovely comments. :D I wanted to paint something ... you know, .... you look at it and you will get good mood and just feel fine and happy. Now it will tak me time to continue, because I am leaving for 3 days holiday to mountains to visit my teacher. So I will be only watching woods, searching for muschroms, talking, cooking :-).

Jo: :wave: hello. I am detail maniac, sometimes it's too much and I know that, but I really like it and have fun to add planty of funny or hidden little thingss

Yorky :O ... I know. While it is more and more close, I feel that I miss you all and would like to meet you again. I have to admit I visited your page about meeting few minutes ago and looked who will be there. I will miss you all. Btw. Hope you will like my music and that I will be there at least virtualy. :)

He he ... Andy ... I forgot to tell, that in reference image you didnt hold phylosophers stone ... but something similar in quality ..... glass of beer. :D

Starsprite
08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
He he ... Andy ... I forgot to tell, that in reference image you didnt hold phylosophers stone ... but something similar in quality ..... glass of beer. :D

LOL both of you! :D

Jana...I am just gobsmacked over this!!! It's incredible!!! You are such a masterful artist! :) :clap: :clap:

artmom
08-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Jana, this is wonderful, as usual! :D

Lyn

jaydiva
08-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Wow Jana, this is truly magnificent!! :clap: :clap:
I like the sketch but i love the painting (his smile is soooo great)
I do admire you for your skills, fantastic!!

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

laudesan
08-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Oh My Jana I am pulling up a chair front and centre!!!!!

I absolutey love your work!!!

Can't wait for the pussy cats to appear.:D

Hope you really enjoyed your weekend with your teacher..

CharM
08-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Hi Jana... your paintings are such fun to watch develop... this one is already glowing... Your sketch is excellent and I love your pallette... Those little background items are a treat and it will be fun to watch them emerge... Have fun on your holiday and see you when you get back!!!

bluegenes
08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Can't wait till you work some more on this!
Patty

Christie
08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
I think I'll have to join the group too jana. This is going to be very exciting to watch.:)

AndreaPaints
08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Jana,
This is so cool! Can't wait to see you progress on this.

painterbear
08-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Hi Jana,

Your charming philosopher is wonderful already. Can't wait to see you add those lovely Maffet details all around him.

I enjoyed that movie, Princess Bride too. I took my son to see it when he was young and enjoyed it as much as he did. I remember the swashbuckling character too and you've captured the insouciance in his smile and eyes so well.

Have fun on your vacation. Are you moved into your new apartment at the top of the house yet?

Sylvia

Maffet
08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
:wave: Hellooooooo

this is what I did today. I come from holidays yesterday but I took another one day off from work to recover. Fresh air on mountains, long walking and full baskets of muschrooms we found ... that all made me tired so I needed to recover a bit. I spent day as a lazy girl, but I was working a bit on this picture ... there is result ... this evening http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/8104-work_prace.jpg

I was working on window, lamp and roughly on cat ... my cat is gray, but I wanted something red like Garfield :evil: :p I wasnt satisfy with window, because I did it too colorfull so main character wasnt dominant finaly I destroyed color to only shades of orange and red and it's much clearer, even I lost a bit of light ....

here is detail of Garfield :evil: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2005/8104-work_catdetail.jpg

Model was Matysek ... head of my family....

Oh Sylvia ... not yet. It will take time. I gave all my savings to finish this stage and now I must recover before I will take breath to big final. We were counting with parents that if everything will go right, I will completly move to new flat next summer. There is still planty of small works.

Btw .... only month and one week to brother's child will be borne :clap: All family is so excited

olika
08-19-2005, 01:00 PM
This is wonderful, Jana!! and most of this was from your head?? I am amazed! :D :D

CharM
08-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Jana... I thought I'd stop by to see how you're progressing with your wip... It is really looking good... I really enjoy all the small details you incorporate into your background... your colour is looking great...

DominicM
08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
stunning WIP you get my merit point today :) - ok I cant but will keep it for you

ElizabethAnne
08-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Janna...I showed my 6 yr old granddaughter your work and she wants to know how come I can't do some of these for her! She loves your work, and so do I! We will be watching!

ElizabethAnne

painterbear
08-19-2005, 03:49 PM
The details are coming in and looking good.

Like Dominic I'm giving you my Merit Point today and rating your thread. It deserves the Stars!

Well, I wanted to give you my point, but the Merit/Mentor Buttons have disappeared????

Sylvia

stephie20
08-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Jana .....this is absolutly amazing.....such detail.....you deserve to be a lazy girl for one day, you are always so busy.......I love reading your English :)

Granny R
08-19-2005, 08:29 PM
I love your style, color choices, detail and imagination. Fun to look at.
Looking to see the final.
Ruth

Maffet
08-20-2005, 01:20 AM
:wave: :D thank you all. I am glad you like it. I have really great fun during painting this picture as I do it just for my fun and not working project. Sadly I cant continue this weekend, during hour I am leaving to medieval fair on castle which is on other side of my land. I will try to continue when I will be back. o.k... o.k. I will tell you truth ... I always enjoy medieval fairs ... but ... but ... this time I would prefer to paint this picture.

Stephie: :) and you know my spoken ... lol :)

Oh yes, this year is mad somehow ... many things joined in one moment and I am trying to cut this gordic knott and do all well. at work, at home - building flat and brother's child, also in illustration, last book I did was succesfull so editors who nearly forget me, now call me and I have hill of work on desk and also boss of my band signed planty of contracts for playing ... No panic! No panic! :evil: :D He he ... I will survive. It's just short season of two or 3 months. Than I will probably take another few days off to recover boiled brain :evil: :D

laudesan
08-20-2005, 03:07 AM
Woo-hoo Jana this is looking absolutely beautiiful .

I just love Garfield..:D

Ottersong
08-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Woot Jaqna, just beautiful, looking forward to the finish, love your cats.

Love otter/Mary

Maffet
08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Sadly I have to let sleep this picture for 4 weeks. I recieved very nice offer for comission work, so I stop all work I do only for myself and will work only on this new book cover. But I promise I will be back with my merry alchemist and I will post new set of WIP pictures and steps to new separate thread, when I will start to work again on this. I felt in love with it and I promised to give it as a free of charge cover to some un-commercial magazine. So I have very good reason to finish it. I will also disapier from wetcanvas for some time again, but ... but ... I will watch your lovely meeting in UK. I am green of envy. I would replace all that nice job offers for chance to be there with you. I love to see all that photos and reports and to see you smiling faces again.

Yorky
08-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Jana - no need to start a new thread, when you post to this thread again, we will be notified and this thread will come to the top of the list again.

Congratulations on the commission and I look forward to seeing your new book cover.

Doug

Starsprite
08-24-2005, 11:18 PM
awwww.... well glad you got a new commission Jana... I will be waiting patiently for your return to this painting you do only for yourself (and our enjoyment too). It seems like every place on the drawing your paint touches it turns to life!! It's just magical the way you paint! :clap: :clap:

Lynn Quinn
08-25-2005, 01:17 AM
I'll join the crowd! This is fantastic! I'll enjoy seeing this develop.

jaydiva
08-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Jana, this is coming along so nicely. I still love your philosophers smile :)
There are so many details to look at ... true magic your doing here!!!
Congratulations on your commission :clap: :clap: :clap: May we see the bookcover you're doing?? Pleeeeeaaaaasse

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg