PDA

View Full Version : Madmum's Ludlow Life Lessons

madmum
08-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi!!!!! As promised warts and all (the good, bad and the ugly :D )

I'll only post the non-wet and washy stuff here, so these are the charcoal and pencil works.

Most are large, half sheet size.

Day 1, charcoal sketch 2, (yes, I know, I promised warts and all, but #1 was really not worth sharing, as I hardly started before the pose changed) think this was 20 minute pose?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/10535-Day_1_charcoal2.jpg

Day 1, charcoal sketch 3, much happier with this one, done on brown wrapping paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/10535-Day1_charcoal3.jpg

Day 2 was all watercolour, so we'll move onto day 3. Graphite pencil and shading was the exercise in the morning, and I hate shading with pencil! Again, I watched Jean demonstrate so missed most of the first pose, but sketched the second pose, this one is smaller, about 1/4 sheet size.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/10535-day_3_graphite_2.jpg

I'll start a new thread in the gallery for the watercolours so you can comment and critique :) Done! Look HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288620) :)

Ruth

mustcreate
08-14-2005, 05:00 PM
looks like lots of fun Ruth!!

I really like the simplistic line of the first sketch

tsk tsk.....you should always use a decent paper just in case a sketch is frame worthy!!!

;)

em

madmum
08-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks Em! Yes, I should really have used drawing paper, but I doubt I would have felt as free if I had! I just started a new thread over in the gallery with the watercolour work :)

Ruth

Uschi
08-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Have already looked in on the watercolours - love them!!!

# 1 Very well done!!

# 2 even better because I know how hard those foreshortened poses are and you did VERY WELL with it

# 3 I like pencil and shading but must admit that the bottom half is a bit confusing, still, what an incredibly worth while workshop :envy: :envy: :envy:
Uschi

olika
08-14-2005, 08:32 PM
These look good, Ruth! I have never done figure drawing of any kind and especially from life. I would find it very intimidating so well done! :D :D

CharM
08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
These are really well done, Ruth... especially since you were somewhat pressured by time, while trying to listen to your teacher... :clap: :clap: :clap:

laudesan
08-15-2005, 02:30 AM
Well done Ruth!!

I know how hard it is to "do" people, I take my sketch book with me in my handbag, and wehn Alan and I go to our local cafe at the Carindale Shopping Centre, I sit and try and draw the folks around me. The move when the ar etalking lol so it isn't easy, but I am getting better at it.

I will tell you a secret tho' most don't have faces, as I start with the body and work up..:D It is jolly hard to draw a face that moves all the time..:)

I even drew a lady at the hospital last time I had to go, she was a patient too, ad I asked her If I could try and draw her. I got all but her head done before she was called in for her appointment..:D

pampe
08-15-2005, 10:48 AM
nice work, Ruth

ARE YOU HAVING FUN??????

madmum
08-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Uschi! The third pose she was sitting on a cushion, and twisted, and I just couldn't get her back to look right. I think I prefer charcoal to pencil, much easier to shade, shame it's so messy! lol

Gerri, I was intimidated at first, but I loved every minute! If you have the chance to do a life class, go for it! Thank you!

Thanks Char :D

LOL JJ, I gave up on the faces mostly, much better to get the figure right :D I know what you mean about trying to draw moving faces, I keep trying with my kids and it's impossible! Thank you!

Thanks Pam! I had an absolute ball, loved every minute, even when my shoulders were aching and my bum was numb! ;) :D

Ruth

jaytee
08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
its good to see these all together....... and dont mention Dumb Bums....... it was better after we took the cushions though, yes??? No wonder so many stand up to paint !!! have also seen your paintings......... All mine are together in the Studio workshop :) now I can post agan I will comment :D

madmum
08-15-2005, 05:01 PM
....... and dont mention Dumb Bums

ROFL! Was this deliberate or one of your typos? :D Yes, much better with cushions :D

Ruth

jaytee
08-15-2005, 05:27 PM
ROFL! Was this deliberate or one of your typos? :D Yes, much better with cushions :D

Ruth

Oh dear !!!! A real class A typo........... and I shouldnt laugh so much at my own 'jokes' :D

laudesan
08-15-2005, 10:52 PM
JT you are a peach!!!!! :D :D :p

Olga
08-16-2005, 03:31 AM
Really like the line in that first charcoal skethc, Ruth! You can really see someone with a sturdy built!

Olga