PDA

View Full Version : I am new here and need advice

louise279
01-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Hello to every one!
I have only just found this site and i think it is brilliant, i would like to ask a question about oils.

I have been painting for years in watercolours and acrylics and sometimes i sell some on ebay. I have just started painting in oils and LOVE it! :) It is wonderful the paints are so thick and wonderful. I know that oils take a long time to dry, how long should i leave them before i sell the painting, and how do i store the painting until then, i tend to work quite fast and so already have quite a lot :rolleyes: of paintings completed and 'standing around'!
Any help and advice/tips would be much apreciated

Thank you;)

Wayne Gaudon
01-09-2002, 10:25 AM
..it takes 6 months to a year before you can varnish an oil and I would recommend varnishing an oil before selling it.

As far as storage, Ihave just started so right now I am just hanging them on a wall to dry. I imagine when they are touch dry which should happen in a few weeks, then another form of storage could be applied but I haven't reached that point yet as I just started making oils in December and only have 5 to my collection.

I'll have to follow this thread to see how people store them after a month or two. IE ..what is used to put between oils and how to avoid any pressure against the canvass to avoid two canvas pieces sticking togeather as happens with acrylics.

cobalt fingers
01-09-2002, 04:14 PM
you can do temp or final or both ( or neither) Most say varnish, however some use so much varnish or no turps so they reguire less at the end. There are lots of choices and lots of books out there.

BON CHANCE

Stephen Brealey
01-09-2002, 05:08 PM
It depends on how you paint, six months is the minimum recommended time for thickly applied paint - the paint below the surface of a thick stroke can take a very long time to completely dry. Personally I paint using a lot of thinners, so my pictures are completely dry a matter of weeks after finishing.

What you may want to do is, after 6 months give the picture a coat of temporary spray varnish just to protect it, then further down the line when you are sure it's completely dry, give it a proper varnish with a brush.

You could keep the paintings safe in storage by wrapping them with bubble wrap - especially if you're going to stack them together.

Welcome to WetCanvas by the way :)

Michael2
01-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by louise279
I know that oils take a long time to dry, how long should i leave them before i sell the painting, and how do i store the painting until then,

I've read that oil paintings should be stored where they can be exposed to light (no not direct sunlight, just regular indoor light). Oil paintings stored in the dark won't dry because light is needed to spur on the chemical reaction. Furthermore, oils stored without light can darken (although I haven't seen this happen). So I guess you should just hang them on the walls somewhere if you have wall space.

About when to sell them: I've seen paintings in galleries that weren't completely dry yet (because I could SMELL the linseed oil), so obviously there are some artists and galleries out there where the paintings are sold before they've had a year to dry and have been varnished.

Mario
01-10-2002, 04:56 PM
A couple of weeks should be just enough to begin to think about selling an oil painting. Certainly one month and it's ready to go out the door.
Varnishing is another trip altogether. I live with another Oil painter and we have never varnished a painting and may take another year or two before we ever get around to figuring out how to do it. Meanwhile, our paintings are of very high quality in both artistic application and archival potential and they are selling.
I read a very well researched paper on the paintings of the Impressionists and how the different varnishes that were applied to their paintins were the source of all of the problems later.
I can't imagine telling someone to wait six months to a year and then varnish their painting and then selling it. I'm sure that varnishes today are much better than a century ago but I'll bet that if the artists, in this forum, told you about their varnish screw-up's that there would be lots of nightmarish stories appearing. So, as for varnish...fo ge da bow dit...for now, at least. Painting and selling can be of the highest ethic even without varnish. The French Impressionis paintings of a century ago that were never varnished had the least problems. think about it.:evil: :angel: :rolleyes:

Bendaini
01-11-2002, 05:57 AM
perhaps the brand of oils i used the last time was not as good, but it, along with the fact it was real thin, dryed within a week. I could touch it within 3 days without getting paint all over me, then i put a light coat of oil to make it shiny, and let it sit some more.... It was shipped to me when i moved after being only 2 months old and it was perfectly fine.... then i dont put a lot of paint on my pictuers either.

louise279
01-11-2002, 07:01 AM
Thank you Mario,
I was hoping someone would say what you said. :) Keeping all those oil paintings for six months to a year before i could sell them would be a real problem! I have used pratically all my wall space as it is!
Thank you once again. I think, i would feel more comfortable not varnishing my paintings, i do not want to create problems in the future and if the french impressionists did not varnish and their paintings are still ok now, then i suppose that is the best advice for us all.
Thank you

Louise ;)

Mario
01-11-2002, 11:01 AM
The important thing Louise is your passion and excitement and it is evident. Also, that you work fast and already have lots of paintings done! That's the way to go, do anything to preserve this state of being. I'm sure that most of us are jealous of you already. Just keep doing your thing and I am very happy that you came to Oils and the Oil forum, here. You go girl!:clap: :angel: :evil: :cool:

louise279
01-12-2002, 07:20 AM
Mario
Thank you very very much for what you said in your last post, i love painting - always have done, and creating a painting gives me more enjoyment and satisfaction than anything else. I love the 'way' oils work and the effects they can create.
Thank you for the encouragement.
Louise:)