PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bighorn

OzonaLori
08-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I was really struck by the beauty and serendipity of this shot! Thanks for providing it, Mike.

I've worked on this for two hours so far, and estimate another hour to go. So far, it is simply carbon pencil on a smooth heavy paper, similar to bristol.
It is 9x12".

I may add a bit of wash or some subtle color as I progress, I'll see where this leads me.

Let me know what you think so far. The legs are a little weird- can anyone see anything that needs changing with the legs or the eyes/face area?

All C&C encouraged!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/46879-Longhorn-WIP-Step-1.jpg

khourianya
08-13-2005, 02:35 PM
omigosh - this is GORGEOUS! Absolutely lovely in every way!

Fleur
08-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Long loooonnnnnnngggggg whistle! Stunning! Very striking! :clap: :clap: :clap: Leave it as it is!!!!
Marie-Dom :wave:

mbeckett
08-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Wow! this is terrific already. I was reluctant to post this reference, as i thought it might be a difficult one to handle, but i'm glad i did now. I love where this is going. Loose really fits this scene. I wouldn't worry too much about the legs... i'd keep them vague and concentrate the focus on the animal's head. Can't wait for the finished version!

lmmilam
08-13-2005, 03:44 PM
The legs look fine to me.. I love your drawing.. it makes me think the bighorn is standing right there in the room.. and those eyes just grab you! :clap:

lorna12
08-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Fabulous drawing Lori!! Wonderful!!

I agree with Mike...the legs look great as is. The only thing with the eye (on the viewer's left)...it sticks out round a bit too far. Did you know that these animals have a retangular pupil?? Just a bit of trivia:D

OzonaLori
08-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Cori, Marie-Dom, Mike, Linda and Lorna-
Thanks for looking and for your responses and advice.

I went ahead and added some color in pastel and watercolor pencil, and more darks with the carbon pencil. In some ways, I was really liking the starkness of the black and white, but it felt too much like a snowy mountain scene, and my experimental self just had to try the pastels with it.

Which do you like better?

If you end up liking the BW version better, I can't go exactly go backwards :eek: , but it is always fun to hear what people think---- It is only a drawing, after all! What is a piece of paper and a few hours time?

I was having trouble with the scanner giving me a true representation of the color, but I took some shots with my digi cam and they are better.

Here is the whole thing, and a closeup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/46879-Bighorn-WIP-Finished.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/46879-Bighorn-finished-closeup.jpg

BeckyMc
08-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I was going to advise you to leave it without the color, but I think I like the subtle colors that you added, as well! Beautiful job on his face and that soft fur! :clap: :clap: :clap: I think he pops out of the background more, now!

Redwine
08-13-2005, 05:07 PM
WOW! This is gorgeous! I love the little bits of color, actually I love the whole thing. WOW!

mbeckett
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Perfect! the washes and color have given the piece weight in all the right places. A fine piece of work! I do like the second better. it looks finished without being overworked.

connievanwinssen
08-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Very well done, much texture! :)

Orchidacea
08-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I was thinking that the legs did look a little weird...but then I went back and looked at the reference, and they look just the same! Either the animal was standing funny, or the camera warped it a little--who knows? Your piece is lovely anyway. I love the softness of the fur and the expressive face.

jtrace
08-13-2005, 09:12 PM
This is a very cool piece of work. I agree with Mike on the use of color. It really works. I'm so backwards, though, I think I like the first drawing the best. It's just the kind of thing I wish I could do.

Well done!

*Deirdre*
08-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Perfect! the washes and color have given the piece weight in all the right places. A fine piece of work! I do like the second better. it looks finished without being overworked.
I so agree! Lori...this is the best! Lovely work....Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

artsy_lissa
08-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Wowzers, this is awesome & so well rendered. :clap: :clap: ... I can't decide which version I love best. ~ Lissa

ottwork
08-13-2005, 10:52 PM
I love them both - but I think the subtle washes of color really add a whole other level of LOVELY to this guy - beautiful work!

OzonaLori
08-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for all of your wonderful comments!

We went out to the movies last night, and I didn't check in until this morning, so it was exciting to see that so many of you let me know what you thought.

Thanks Becky, Diahn, Redwine, Mike, Connie, Kim, jtrace, Deirdre and Lissa!

Kim, I think the whole legs thing might be help with a closer crop. After posting this over in Drawing and Sketching, someone (Gus) called out the the length of the body was a little long too. He's right.... I think I could just crop in, and then the little weird things don'r become a focal point.

Thanks!!!

cmwynn
08-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I am going to vote for the black and white sketch. Nothing wrong with the subtle color, just a preference. It shows so much and implies even more.

inkadink
08-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Positively gorgeous! Very expressive!

artbyjune
08-14-2005, 11:42 AM
I love the textures and looseness of this work. I like both versions but the colour you added is perfect!!

Stushnov
08-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Lori, this is beautiful. I love the texture that you created and just the right amount of colour! Very well done!

OzonaLori
08-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Connie, I know what you mean about the BW version. I am always drawn to that starkness, and also, at that stage in the piece, I think it was even more expressive than the finished version.

I like the color, too, and I am not sorry I added it by any means, but there is something about the unfinished stage that stands up too.

At least, I am feeling more confident knowing when I might want to stop, and also for going for the experimental. It feels like it took me until this year to be OK about just "going for it" and not really worrying about "messing up" or even ruining something. "Messing up" can really turn into cool things sometimes, you know? Thanks for lookin', Connie.

Lara, June and Shar, I am glad that you like it. I haven't really done animals too much before (except dogs, which I am crazy about), so this was a good stretch for me. It was really fun to work on!

Chiers
08-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Great job. I do think I prefer the first one without the color though.

OzonaLori
08-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Sherry, thanks for your comments!

I had time to do another piece this weekend!
Watercolor, 7"x10" on Arches cp
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/46879-Mountainside_Stump.jpg

connievanwinssen
08-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Painted very well! :)

HRH Goldie
08-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi well done you as both of these versions are excellent. The simplicity of the black and white is delightfully subtle but then the colour wash adds another dimension and depth.
I see what you mean about the legs but cannot offer any advice as the photo ref is sort of befuddled in the leg area and I certainly would not have been able to tackle it.
If it gets on your nerves you could always crop the lower bit off and square off the image as the detail in the top is beautiful.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Darn I nearly missed your tree stump and I simply adore it! Perfect job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mbeckett
08-14-2005, 05:57 PM
i see your stump found a way to be posted..lol! i really like the textures you've put in this. looks great!

OzonaLori
08-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Connie, Christine and Mike,
Thanks for checking back in on my thread.

The landscape watercolor was a lot of fun for me to paint. I loved painting all of those lines with the tip of my Goliath brush!

ams
08-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I like both versions of the sheep but I must say I am partial to a little color. Have you seen the new Derwent Graphitint pencils? They were just released and some people have been experimenting with them in the colored pencil forum. They are basically tinted graphite whose color intensifies dramatically if water is added. Take a look, you may like them.

I like your stump as well. You have nice shadows on the snow.

Anne

guilliame
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey Lori :wave: i think that this was a difficult pic,but i like where it's going,great initial sketch,scrolling down i see that at the top of the leg there is something not quite right,and to the last,love the crop,wonder :clap: ful

Curious
08-15-2005, 01:56 PM
I like both versions and either one can (or could) stand as it is. I also think it is a good idea to experiment and take a risk with a drawing. The WDE photos seem to be the perfect place to try different things.

And now I have to check out those Derwent Graphitint pencils.

Fleur
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Hello again!
I'm glad I came back here. Your bighorn was brilliant before, but it's wonderful now that you've added colour. I really like both versions. And the tree stump..... wow!!!
Marie-Dom

OzonaLori
08-15-2005, 07:37 PM
ams (Anne)- I haven't seen the Graphitints yet, but JayD was telling me about them. I saw a chart that someone had done, and the colors looked really nice. I know that you will think this is funny- I had a dream I was working with them last night.... What a goof I am!

Guilly, thanks for looking. I might crop it in a little, but it will probably live in my sketchbook. I am keeping a Komtrack sketchbook with some of my longer drawings since all my other sketchbooks have quick warmups and longer drawingsboth, and I don't always like everything in them. It is nice to keep a sketchbook that shows a little more effort.

Curious, thanks for the encouragement. It sometimes takes a little bravery to risk altering something to the point that you won't like it so much anymore. I sometimes feel brave, and sometimes not.....

Marie-Dom, I am so glad that you checked back too! I know you thought it would be best if I stopped, so it pleases me that you like the outcome of the added color.
Thanks, too, for your kind words about my watercolor stump. I really enjoyed that one- it was qick and fun.

artsy_lissa
08-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Lori I love the stump piece as well. You rock girlfriend! :clap: :clap: ~ Lissa

Sharrm
08-16-2005, 02:52 AM
I love them both - but I think the subtle washes of color really add a whole other level of LOVELY to this guy - beautiful work!
I second that. I saved this pic too, but chose the landscape first. You have brought real feeling to this guy. I think it was a difficult pic to do. Well done :clap: :clap:
:wave:

YYcat
08-19-2005, 04:25 AM
Lori a very good drawing, like the subtle color to it as well. Love the wc. :clap: :clap: :clap: