PDA

View Full Version : Irish Harp...WIP

John B
08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Hello fellow Oiler’s,

This is a painting I am working on at the moment. I started it at my Thursday art class. It's quite enjoyable as it is something different for me. I am moving into new and uncharted territory with figures, but trial end error and challenge is all part of art.

I've got down the basic composition and most of the darks and mid tones; I now need to sculpt some life into the painting.

I know that the hands are going to be my biggest challenge and any help or advise in that area would be most welcome.

I think I will find it interesting trying to achieve the level of detail I hope to achieve.

The painted image is about 10"x12" painted with Caran D'Ache OP's.

Kindest regards

John

sundiver
08-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Well, I can't give advice on figures and ha.nds, since I avoid them whenever possible. Just wanted to pop in and say good for you for challenging yourself.
Your image doesn't seem to want to download (I'm on country dialup) so I can't even say it's a good start, although I'm sure it is!:)

John B
08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence Wendy, I hope the painting does it justice.

I have moved it on a little, I think I have caught the atmosphere I need to tidy it up in places and soften it in others. This is proving to be Quite an interesting project.

I need some more work on the head and face and, of cause, the hands.

John

John B
08-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Think I have got it close to where I want it. I wanted it to look like warm, dimly lit pup with the main lighting being the stage backlight. I also want a loose painterly look. Hope I have got close.

First figure painting, enjoyed the challenge.

Happy painting all

John

ColorMyWorld
08-13-2005, 05:00 PM
John, this is wonderful. I like the lighting!

CarlyHardy
08-13-2005, 11:06 PM
John, for a first figure you certainly did challenge yourself!! Not only are the hands prominent in this but you used backlighting and a musical instrument which meant the figure had to maintain a certain structure to look believable. I'd say you accomplished what you set out to do!!

My only tip would be to smooth out the line created along the nose. Think of how you'd reach out and smooth from the nose under the eye and across the cheek to remove a smudge on her face.

Will you be doing more figures? I think you've made a very good start with this one.
carly

John B
08-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Thank you Carly, I have sculptured the face a little more, There was much more shadow in the face, cast by the back lighting , colour shapers have helped to get a level of detail into the painting.

I think I have enjoyed this exercise so much, yes; I will be doing some more figure paintings.

At the moment I am trying out things that push me to learn, looking at figures, the lighting, expression and animation, I think there will be enough challenge for a time to come.

Many thanks

John

Pat Isaac
08-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Just caught up with this, John. Beautiful lighting and color. I might make the shadow on the face a little warmer and not so gray.

Pat

John B
08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Thank you Pat, that looks a lot better, the nose has been a big problem throughout, a bit like real life really. lol.

I have also cropped the painting I feel it gives it more intimacy.

Thank you all again

And Happy Painting

John

Pat Isaac
08-15-2005, 03:05 PM
That did it, John. :clap: Nice piece!

Pat