PDA

View Full Version : C, K & Ks' Paint n' Poem: Week 45: A Macro?

Roun2it
08-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Iíve got a very sore throat, so this is Chris speaking!!

Hewy! :wave:
Not having the energy to search for a reference image this week, I sent to the Kev's an instruction to simply "paint a macro.... any object, any size, up close and personal". Come with me folks, on a little trip, as we see how we all did... no squinting.

Chris' Stuff:

Kev painted a robin at Christmas a million weeks ago, but I have not had that chance yet. Not sure if it's "macro" enough, but I hope so. I had a lot of fun with this little fellow, and am fairly pleased. If the Green b/g works, that is thanks to Kev and his classroom recipes.

About 6 x 9, Arches 140 CP, W & N and Davinci paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2005/31024-Week_45_Chris_Sparrow.jpg

C and C welcome.

The poem:

Sparrows don't get a lot of attention, so I thought I would help out a bit. The poem happened along with the painting. The lyrical cadence of this is what makes it work... or not?

Little Brown Sparrow

Thereís a little brown sparrow, who sits on the post, of the fence at the end of our lawn.
And some days heís absent, this little brown sparrow, and I wonder where that sparrows gone.

Perhaps heís just hunting for bugs or for grubs to feed all the other brown sparrows.
Or maybe heís high in the sky, on the wing, looking down at the stream where it narrows.

But most days heís there, the little brown bird and he takes up his place by the gate
And he patiently waits while I brew up my tea, and he does not mind much, if Iím late.

The little brown sparrow takes some time from his day, to stop for a rest and a chat
And he tells me the state of his world in the woods and complains of the neighbourhood cat.

And he listens, he does, when I click with my tongue, and I ask him howís going his day.
And he watches me out of one little brown eye, and he always has something to say.

And I nod my head and I frown, or I laugh, depending on how his days been.
We agree there are days better off spent in bed, those days when you can never win.

He chirps just a bit, and he flutters his wings, and he shares all his goals and his dreams
And the sparrow (the brown one) who sits on the post, is my best friend at these times it seems.

And itís my turn to speak and I pass on my fears and my sorrows to that little bird.
And he does not condemn, does not judge me at all, that sparrow who hears every word.

And I give him, my worries, that little brown sparrow, before I set off on my day
And the little brown sparrow he takes to the wing, and he flies, and he takes them away!
©Christopher M. Earle, 2005

Kevinís Stuff

This was done on 11Ē x 14Ē textured clayboard using Daniel Smith watercolors. It is based on a photo I saw while web-surfing of two pieces of iron holding some weathered boards together. I went with that idea and came up with my own composition. Clayboard is a cool surface to work on and using Celesteís tip to paint on it flat helped loadsÖtilted again for dry brush work. Really not so sure it qualifies as a macro, but here it is! C&C very much welcomed.

Still Holding

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2005/57088-holdingon.JPG

The Poem:
Part fact, part could-be fact, this poem is about a boyhood memory of chewing tobacco. Now, one of the nastiest forms, is leaf tobacco, twisted into a rope, soaked in vile flavorings, then dried and sold in sections. My Dad had still sold it, to some old-timerís, until fairly recently. You could be civilized and use a pocket-knife, or just bite off a chew. Kentucky Twist is a brand. I hope you enjoy it (the poem, not chewing tobacco)!

For A Chew

In town with my Grandpa, for our morniní meal to eat,
An errand Grandí sent me on, for his favorite kind of treat.

Grand loved to chew his Ďbaccy and said ďthis secret we sure canít tellď.
ďIf Gram knows what Iím doiní, sheĎll preach me right to hellď!

Feeling like a big shot, at the ripe old age of nine,
I grabbed a pack of Kentucky Twist, and shot into the line.

Grandpa spat with a well-trained eye, as we drove home in the truck.
But he never saw me pinch the chew, and into my cheek, tuck.

I couldnít spit in front of Grandí and knew Iíd made a big mistake.
Gagging as I swallowed that olí foul juice, here come the belly-ache!

Grandí said, ďboy yer turniní greenĒ, as he pulled into the drive.
Gram was there, she saw me wobble out, aní to my knees, dive.

With a steely glare she shot at Grand, now the truth had come to light.
Gram fussed oíer what Grandí had did, but he was nowheres in sight.

Duty-bound, I tried hard to tell Gram, the bent facts, as best as could be.
Still, for a month or more, I saw Grandpa only out-back, choppiní up a tree.

I snuck out to say ďIím sorryĒ, as Grand chuckled lookiní where ashamed, I stood.
"Símy fault, boy, at yourín age I did the same, but didnít come out lookín half so good!"

Grandpa aní me chopped for a good spell, then oíer a log he threw me a big lunch sack.
Lookiní through sliced ham ní cheese, I dropped my jaw, the Kentucky Twist was back!
© Kevin Slater 2005

Kevís Stuff

Well Iím full of excuses this week, but 1) I got a cold and Iím not well. 2) The physio says Iíve ruptured a bursa (sp?) in my shoulder joint, and Iím in danger of also rupturing the bursa sac, if I do this it will cause untold problems, so heís told me to give the arm complete rest for 6 days, then start gentle exercise. That includes painting!!

So I wasnít able to complete the painting this week. Here it is with the reference photo I used.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2005/23314-44-jebras.jpg

Gerberas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2005/23314-45-Gerberas.jpg

When I got this instruction from Chris to paint a Macro, these house plants, Gerberas, were the first thing I looked at, since then I've taken loads of shots of things close up, but nothing came close to the Gerberas. Itís on a quarter sheet of Blockingford, 140lb Not, using DaVinci and W&N paints. As you can see I did a ghost wash to put the things in place, a mix of cad yellow and lemon yellow was washed virtually all over, then other colours like cad orange, cad red indigo and sap green were bled into it. I allowed it to dry and then began picking shapes out with the cad red and indigo for shadows. I suppose thatís were I am now.

My Poem.

Well all I can say is ............ pathetic!! OK Iím a wimp and Iím off back to bed!! And hey, it's very difficult to type with just your left hand!! I'm ill I need sympathy!!! :D

Iíve Got a Cold!!

Iím sorry Iím not up to it this week
No poem, Iím not feeling to bold,
Iím drugged up on painkillers for my shoulder.
But whatís worse is Iíve now got a cold!

Iím sniffling, and sneezing and coughing,
Iím drugged up to the eyeballs with gunk.
The barbs in my throat are so sharp now
And theyíve all gone from the house where we bunk.

My eyes laden and dim and are bloodshot,
Itís taken its toll has this bug,
The tap in my nose is turned on full
And Iím just looking for someone to hug!!
Yuk!!!!!!
©Kevin C. Fowler, 2005.

See ya :wave:

C&C's more than welcome :wave:

Lulu
08-11-2005, 05:56 AM
oh wow, I get to see these early!!!! And I love them all.
Chris, your little sparrow and the barbed wire are so well done, and the poem is superb. Reminds me to stop and.........talk to the sparrows:-)

Kevin, I like your painting too. So well done, and I loved the story of the tobacco!!!

Kev, so sorry you are feeling poorly. It's okay to lay down your (juggling) balls till you get better:p:D In 3 weeks I'll only be a hop skip and a jump away if you need a nurse;)

Love your painting too, and the centre of the gerberas remind me of two big ........eyes!!!! lol
Get well soon.

vasilkadifeli
08-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Chris I like your painting though IMHO this is not a macro... I like especially that barbed wire it looks to good... and your poem is very cute...

Kevin I like how you did that rusty metal... a very nice macro painting... and I guess this is the only one that is really a macro... and boy ! I had such a difficult time trying to understand your poem :rolleyes:...

Kev I like your gerberas, I like especially the white stamens, you did some great masking there I guess... IMHO some parts in your painting look unfinished yet... sorry you don't feel so well... how was your yesterday's appointment ? I was expecting another poem about your doctor :D

Uschi
08-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Oh WOW, all three of you - FANTASTIC!!!
Uschi

laudesan
08-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Woo-Hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris love those greens.. I would like to be a little brown sparrow right now.

Kev your painting reminds me of an olde door macro I did, and your poems' are always so deep..

Kevin, your painting is going to be a beauty when it's finished, and you have just described the bug I am recovering from in your poem..
((((((((((HUGE HUGS))))))))))

bluegenes
08-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Chris, sorry, I agree with Vasil...not a macro. BUT, I really like this painting!
And your poem flits along just like a sparrow! :clap:

Kevin, I really like this macro! How did you like the clayboard? Your poem made me feel a little queasy!

Kev, sorry you're not feeling well! I kinda like the unfinished look to your painting! Just finish the bottom part and call it quits! :D Your poem says it all.

Patty

Starsprite
08-11-2005, 09:15 AM
What a treat for a Thursday....will miss these when the challenge is over guys!!

Chris, the sparrow looks great on that pole with the barbed wire. Reminds me of the word that Jaytee used the other day in the Wash though...(sparrowfahrt). LOL :D Painted beautifully though..and the poem is very descriptive and made me smile. :)

Stridey, you got some fantastic textures going on there!! Looks like you did really great with the clayboard!!! The poem made me laugh...I can just picture that happening! LOL :)

Kev, sorry to hear about your shoulder pains. Yes, I agree with Lulu, lay off the juggling balls for awhile. :wink2: Poor Kev with a cold here's a hug for ya (((((((((((((((((Kev))))))))))))))))). Loved the gerberas, and your bright colors..fantastic!!! :)

wcartistsr
08-11-2005, 09:30 AM
These are all great. Good job.

Shirley

artmom
08-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Very nicely done, guys! Paintings and poems. The only one who followed directions correctly was Kevin, though! The other two paintings are wonderful, just not macros. :D

Lyn

tep394
08-11-2005, 09:42 AM
All three of these are super! I believe all of them are some of your best work so far. Great job.
Chris: The background and the wire are spot on. Excellent overall as well.
Kevin: This is my kind of painting. Very well executed and the shadows are great.
Kev: What a vibrant red you have acheived. Even though it may not be finished in your book, it is already outstanding.

Tom

CharM
08-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Another three EXCELLENT paintings, Gentlemen!!!

Kev, who was last is first... :D Hah!!! I knew that sooner or later you'd need/want a (((hug)))... You're not so tough... :D I love where you're going with the gerbera's... this will be a show stopper for sure... heal first, though... that's more important in the long term... I really enjoy your preliminary washes... they remind me very much of Pam's motherwashes and you seem to have it down pat... I've never, ever gotten the *hang* of it... I'm so sorry that your shoulder is in such bad shape... nurse it... and a cold, to add insult to injury... remember the echinacea??? Take some... (('nother hug))

Kevin, who was middle man is middle... man... LOL... My Army Son *chews*... it's a disgusting habit... while in Afghanistan, he wrote me that he'd quit smoking and I was so darned proud of him... well... until I found out that he substituted one ill for another... I like your macro... your rust is rusty... :D ...and such pretty colour in your weather worn wood...

Chris, who was first is last... hmmmmm... I watch the sparrows at my feeders every day... they're such busy little things and I've always thought it a shame they were brown... but if you look closely... those browns are soooo rich and varied... your little guy in your painting is spot on... you might even add a stroke or two of black... that barbed wire is really well rendered!!!! While not really a macro, your sparrow is certainly the COI and well done!

nes7827
08-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey Gents...Chris my favroite part is the upper left corner - it looks like grass on a hillside, and it perfect. Kevin, dasswhadimtalkinbout! - more saturation, and those shadows are killer. Kev, your classroom looks to have been a real success, I'm going to check it out. I thought the ref pic was the painting - you must have done a PS paint number on that. Your real painting has a lot more character...you can paint eyes, too! Enjoyed the poems, it's gonna be a bummer when this thing winds down...Season 2 maybe? Nick

ripvanblair
08-11-2005, 01:17 PM
That Robin is exquisite-----well done-----Alan

Strider
08-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Howdy all! :wave:

Lulu, thanks! I enjoyed this...was cured of chewing tobacco early!

Vasil, I can understand your trouble with the poem...not exactly a higher form of English! lol

Uschi...thank you for looking. :)

Thanks JJ...I love old wood textures.

Pattybluejeans, clayboard is a challenge, but the more I use it, the better I like it...especially for a textured piece like this! The poem 'bout made me queasy too! Thanks.

Spritey, thanks! Like I said above, I was cured of chewing tobacco early! What a terrible feeling...lol Some of the textures were blown on using a square of window screen material, glued to a popsicle stick frame made by one of my nieces...we figured out a design, Chelsey made it, works great!

Thank you Shirley and Lyn! :wave:

Tom, thanks! Fun doing a painting you can just cut loose with.

Char, thanks. Boy, your son must have an iron stomach! Maybe he'll give it up after coming home...give him my best!

Thanks for looking Alan!

Hey Nick...thank you. I have been wrestling with color saturation and hopefully am gaining the upper hand... :wave:

Chris, Kev, back in a bit!

Annapet
08-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Poof! The comment I started writing disappeared.

:clap: :clap: :clap: You get one each. Bravo, gentlemen.

I did try talking to the resident sparrow here and he had much to complain about: Their kind got booted out as the Philippine National Bird. He holds grudges against the "monkey-eating eagle" --- certainly not on the sparrow weight division...

Anyhow, I hope you feel better Kev. I'd love to see the painting when it's done. I'm sure you won't disappoint. Please give that shoulder a rest. No more juggling for a while.

Kevin, I love the details and textures on your painting. I always enjoy the storyline of your poems. The palette of choice is very subtle, yet the subject is rugged.

Well, C, it's a beauty. What refreshing green. My favorite is the delicate bird and its perch.

:wave:

stephie20
08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
gosh guys...your work is getting better each week

Chris....NO IT'S NOT A MACRO...but as it's so goooooooood we'll let you off. :) ...i really like this.........the BG is super, those greens are great, and yes they do work, very well....the wire is spot on, and that bird is a sweetie.......I love the colours you use...can you let me into your secret..what are they.....Is that an orange or one you mix?

kevin...THIS IS A MACRO...AND A VERY GOOD ONE..explain to Banxy will you.....Love this too.......you captured everything just right....your textures are great

Kev.....sorry about your shoulder, plenty of rest for you.........Love your flowers....I actually thought this was finished till I read your comments.......those stamens look great

Will read Poems later :D

Europa
08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Chris - sure hope that little sparrow doesnt fall down that pipe - the barbed wire is really well done - love the poem! :clap: :clap:

Kevin - now this is my kind of painting - I love doing wood and metal ones - I love everything about this - has to be my favourite of yours so far - as for the poem - eewwwwwwww - no wonder you felt ill - I think its a disgusting habit - have only come across it in the states (they banned it over here) - good poem though. :clap: :clap:

Kev - must admit I thought the middle of the flowers looked like eyes - actually I think it makes them more interesting. :clap: :clap:

As for the poem - for god's sake stop whinging man!! Men!!! - honestly - a bit of shoulder pain - humpph - you didnt hear me complain like that when I had mine....and a little sniffle to top it off....:evil: :wink2: :p

Pat

Strider
08-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Chris Hey, very sharp composition. The greens have a pleasant natural look...good job! Greens! I think you've got 'em down pat. I love sparrows. Unlike our fair-weather birdies, they stay with us during cold weather as well. Wonderful indications of the wire. The poem is wonderful not just in cadence, but in sentiment. Man, you just keep raising the bar! great stuff.

KevGerberas are one of my favorite flowers. The photo is a beauty, but even though not finished, your painting outshines the photo hands-down. It has character! Actually, seeing the painting at this stage is interesting as I get a glimpse of how you are developing this. Love this and after you've gotten your shoulder mended, I hope you'll be able to finish and post. Kudos on getting out a beaut of a painting and a witty poem. Hope you're back in fighting shape quickly!

Anna, thanks! Clayboard lends itself to creating textures...this one was fun.

Stephie, thank you! I tried explainin' to Banx, and he still messed it up! hehe

Pat, chewing tobacco banned?! How are young kids supposed to make themselves sick!? lol Thanks for commenting...

:wave:

KathyJB
08-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Just got in from a stampin and painting technique demo session,
oh boy do i see fun creations coming...
Starting backwards tonight,
My condolences to kevin
your poor shoulder and th3 cold you have
((((Kevin)))) hugs for you!!!
The unfinished painting is amazing and if I didnt see pencil marks i would assime it is finished
its perfecto amazing what we can do when were sick yes
fun poem I give you credit for showing up trooper!!

Chris your next in my backwards spiral,
I like the macro of the metalwork.. well done lots of texture and nice choices of color in this piece bravo banxy!!!
Loved the the poem you really can spin a tale I sat mezmerized to hear the end of the story great fun the good old days yes ... not always.

Kevin is sick too my goodness Christ is holding up the fort huh or is it the bunkhouse
great macro btw and what a kind homage to the sparrow poth in paint and prose
well done Kev get some more rest

kat

mr sandbanx
08-12-2005, 12:58 AM
I think I will adress the bunkmates first this week.

Kevin: how do you manage to paint flat, with a mouthstick? I am seriously intrigued. Looks like clayboard has got you in its grip eh?

But this is fantastic man! I really like the wonderful textures in this thing... and some great blending of colours. The wood and the iron make a really cool combo. Very creative. Kudos for you matey!

It looks like Kev gets the upper bunk this week for best following instructions. I'll go rocks/paper/scissors for the couch if yer up to it?

The poem: fits well with the image IMO. I like this. Chewin' tobacco was never something you saw here... never tried it and frankly, I am not all that upset about that. But this is not about tobacco, it's about you and your Gramps and some wonderful memories. So this works for me in many ways. Sounds like Gramma had her hands full!

.....oh and turn on the runway lights, I expect your airmail package should be there any minute. If the pilot has a bag on his head, slap him and send him back.

Kev: wonderful as is, I say. Love the reds in this one, especially how they contrast with the blue. And the centre of the front flower looks like a photo. The leaf is super as well,nd the b/g, brill. I had at least a dozen flowers to choose from but I thought I had had enough of those and so I went with the bird. But I am certainly glad that you succumbed to this image.

Now the poem: You know Kev, we had an agreement and by my count, this is the second time now that you have not provided a poem! I would be upset, but on account of your condition, and my generous and genial nature, I shall try to forget this ugly incident and move on! (But whatever you call that, it was actually very good!)

And the sign in the bunkhouse, you know, the one that says "NO HUGGING".... that's not there for decoration you know!! Take it outside, me and Stridey got bourbon needs tending to.

Now I'd better get to the post office!

gooby.... BBL

mr sandbanx
08-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Just got in from a stampin and painting technique demo session,
oh boy do i see fun creations coming...
Starting backwards tonight,
My condolences to kevin
your poor shoulder and th3 cold you have
The unfinished painting is amazing and if I didnt see pencil marks i would assime it is finished
its perfecto amazing what we can do when were sick yes

Chris your next in my backwards spiral,
I like the macro of the metalwork.. well done lots of texture and nice choices of color in this piece bravo banxy!!!
Loved the the poem you really can spin a tale I sat mezmerized to hear the end of the story great fun the good old days yes ... not always.

Kevin is sick too my goodness Christ is holding up the fort huh or is it the bunkhouse
great macro btw and what a kind homage to the sparrow poth in paint and prose
well done Kev get some more rest

kat

What can I say?

Christ is holding up the fort huh or is it the bunkhouse

Actually it's binder twine and duct tape Kat, but we take all the help we can get!.... and here I thought He was there for the bourbon!

Gooby

Roun2it
08-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Lulu I always need a nurse, so get those hopping shoes on.

Vasil your right itís not finished, and the white stamens are still coated in masking.

Thanks JJ now I feel much better, I got Aussie Flu!! :D

Patty it always makes it more difficult showing a half finished work, especially one with the ghost wash technique, as the always look so good to others, but far from finished in your own mind.

Thanks Spritey, Iíve stopped playing with my balls now.

Lyn, canít see why mine isnít a Macro, you could nail over 100 of my tiny flower heads to Kevinís door!!

Tom the red is Cad Red, but mixed with Cad Orange to help with tones.

I like Motherwashes or ghost washes as I call them, it get rid of all the white, I also perfected a way to quickly stretch paper on this exercise without use of staples, or gummed paper. And I drew the image first put on masking and then stretched. It saved so much messing and time. I think I will start a thread somewhere to let everyone know. I just knew youíd be first in line for the hugs, but even with a flowing díose?

Nick thanks for the comments on the classroom, but no PS manip was used at all.

Alan the Robin was on a Christmas Card in December, :wave: Nice to see you though :wave:

Anna, see above re balls :wave:

Hi Stephie, see reply to Patty, re unfinished work.

Pat isnít it funny how you donít see things until they are pointed out. I never saw the eyes, now I canít get rid of them, new name for the painting, ĎThe Eyes Have It!í As for the whinging, Irony, irony!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Iíve always liked gerberas too, but thought they were too garish to paint, and itís difficult to hop back with nice juicy red to work with. I do aim to finish this.

Kat, can't wait for the stamping stuff to appear.

Thanks Uschi, & Shirley

I will be back later, to comment on yours Chris and Kevin, I havenít read the poems, I canít concentrate at the moment. (Another whinge Pat!!)

KathyJB
08-12-2005, 08:38 AM
What can I say?

Actually it's binder twine and duct tape Kat, but we take all the help we can get!.... and here I thought He was there for the bourbon!

oh goodness so sorry LOL
I am NOT sorry for the hugs intended for Kevin in fact hugs for both Kevs aww heck hugs for Chris too.
BanxyI hereby dub you the prince of correct order. I shall have to see about the chemicals we used in the callage demo we did last night. :D I shall right things now:

My condolences to kevin
your poor shoulder and the cold you have
its perfecto amazing what we can do when were sick yes?

Kevin

Chris your last in this backwards spiral remind me NEVER to do this out of order again!!!
and yes you are holding up the bunkhouse. tho I beg to differ with my self your are not the Christ unless you are willing to be hung from one of the bunks... my apolagies I have not dubbed anyone the mesiah in ...well never.
thats aside the sparrows are wonderful!!!
made me want to sing a Mahalya Jackson song "His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me...,"
The homage to sparrows is wonderful I am sure the birdies will erect a sparrow god in your honor beautiful incredible stuff

I am outtah here before I dub someone eles the The Christ

Katinseriouslybackwardshat

mr sandbanx
08-12-2005, 09:11 AM
s'OK Kat, your job is to keep me smiling and you do that in spades.

That song is one of my favourites.... it'l be sung at my wake if I have anything to say about it.

Gooby

KathyJB
08-12-2005, 04:52 PM
it'l be sung at my wake if I have anything to say about it.

Chris when was the last time you dint haveing anything to say about something (evil grin)

yes i know i took advantage of a kind word from you
sorry couldnt help myself:)

Kev thanks I will post something tomorrow probably

have a good evening,

Kat

AnneBedford
08-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Painting Poets,
These are excellent. I like them all, would have trouble deciding which one I liked the best. One seemed to have eyes that looked right through me. I believe it was from Kev. I'm not a poet, but enjoy your ramblings. Keep entertaining us with your work. The rusty pipe was especially good. I like form.
Anne

Strider
08-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Kevin: how do you manage to paint flat, with a mouthstick? I am seriously intrigued. Looks like clayboard has got you in its grip eh?

Hewy Chris! Gotta spell everything out for you! ;) Well, I have the clayboard on a second painting surface and using a Hake, float the colors on in puddles, after I already have flooded the clayboard with clear water. Basically, I'm just steering the pigment where I want it to go. Then, I let it sit until dry. If more color is needed, I may do another "pigment float" as I did on this. When dry, back to the easel on an angle for the wet on dry and dry brushwork. Also wet the metal areas and used a bit of table salt. Mustard and ketchup to taste... :wave:

mr sandbanx
08-12-2005, 11:54 PM
OK Kevin, thanks for that.... yes I need things spelled out slowly since the episode with the lightning.

Lulu: It's important to talk to the sparrows, especially to start the day... Thanks

Vasil, thanks... yeah I guess its not a macro...I realized when I was getting this ready on Wednesday that I may have missed that, but there was no time or energy to do another!

Uschi, Patty, Shirley, Lyn, Tom, Alan, : Thanx

JJ: oh the things you would hear! Thank you.

Spritey: Glad you liked this and that it brought back some fond memories. Thanx

Char: Black eh???? hmmmm. Ok Thanx. I appreciate your looking here.

Nick: glad you like that upper corner... Thanx. Season 2??? The lease on the bunkhouse is up in October and I think Strider is off to Broadway... maybe we will be like the Brady Bunch and wait 20 years for the reunion.

A: That is a shame. The sparrow deserves better than that. I am really happy that you like this one.

Stephie: Not many colours here: the bird is cad orange, Sepia and Burnt Sienna for the most part... some grey (BS and FUB). The post is Sepia, FUB and indigo wit some BS and Cad Orange dropped in. I think the BG is lemon yellow, cad yellow, FUB and some Sap Green. Maybe some Yellow Ochre here and there. I usually mix the paint right on the paper. Thanx
for your comments and encouragement.

Pat: Thanx

Stridey: I am not raising it any more than you are.... Thanx.

Kat: I really do appreciate your support... and your posts are a joy... Thanks for that.

Anne: Thanx.

Ok Gotta go to the post office again.

gooby

maltman
08-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi guys,

Got a busy day today and have to rush...but do have time to say another exellant showing'

Chris. I see you managed to snag the Bowmanville Sparrow....its only 3 cm tall, so this is a real Macro.Very well painted....your first bird eh?

Love the poem...shall have to go talk to Oshawa Sparrows (you know the 90 cm high ones)

Kevin....for a guy who doesn't like detail....this is just great....love the colours and all the intricate work

The poem....again wonderful....but I could never understand how anybody could chew "baccy"...

Kev, sorry to hear you're sick...nothing worse than a cold (well maybe a cold AND pain), but glad it didn't stop you doing such a great colourfull macro...love the flowers....and your poem....I think all can relate to it!

Week 45?...where's the time gone?

amaze_1101
08-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm late getting here this week and I compeletly missed last week. I got an excuse though... I'm BUSY! Like it or lump it! :p

This was a pleaseure to view I ,must say, with all being completely different yet the same category. Nice idea Chris.

Kev. I'm sorry you are feeling so bad right now but I'm so impressed that you soldier on through and still create a work of art. I love what you've done with the gerberas. It's simple yet effective with a nice balance of colour. Would look nice with a wide matt when framed. Poem is cute too. :)

Kevin I do love the play of sunlight on the boards and thr rusty look is cool. Poem so reminded me of my own childhood always crossing the line and finding it difficult to get back without being found out. :angel: Thanks for the memories.

Chris Beautiful work again. The softness of the green bg is fabulous, with just enough texture to realise grass without taking from the subject. I just adore the post with all the colours of rural weathering. I love the simplicity of the whole work. Poem was terrific again and the final verse "...and he flies, and he takes them away!" finsihed it perfectly. Always a pleasure to read your words. ;)

mr sandbanx
08-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Brian: the Bowmanville Sparrow would make you want to sleep with the lights on! She is small but fierce.... like some people I know! Meanwhile the Oshawa brand, (yeah the mutated ones) makes good eatin'.... Thanks for looking. (Speaking of which, I was looking for you 1 1/2 hours today!) Did you have your weekend bag on or what??)

Elaine: Yeah I am happy you like that last line... it could have had many different endings, but I took the easy way out this time. My coach used to say "Keep it simple stupid," and I don't forget that too often.

Gooby

Celeste McCall
08-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Oh my goodness,,,,,,,,I don't know how I didn't post to this...but I can't find my post....so....I guess I didn't. Sorry about that guys.

Chris, I Love that little bird. Just a great painting. Another favorite for me. Send some of those pills.....FAST!

Kevin, That is very much like the first one that I remember that you did...that I saw of yours on WC.......(I remember writing this last week.....this must be dejavu or something). I really like the crosses and the symbols in this one. Terrific and inspirational.

Kev,
I always like your COLORS. You never fail to delight the eyes with it. Your warm against cools are always spot on and such fun. Lovely painting.

Congrats to all 3 and

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :D :D :D

Roun2it
08-16-2005, 05:06 AM
Hi everyone, well donít think Iím gonna get much better than this in a day or two so Iíd better reply.

Iíve read the poems and Chris I love the thought of you sitting on the porch conversing with a little sparrow, who flies off and takes away all your troubles. Bet Bren and Malty donít agree though when you back in the house or the office moaning and groaning about things that go wrong. If I met that sparrow on some days heíd be so burdened that he would have to many troubles to fly away.

Kevin Iím with Gram, what a disgusting habit, but such a beautiful tale to recount. I do hope this is a true tale, it sounds so romantic, in the wider sense!

Malty, Elaine and Celeste well almost a week on and Iíve just started the exercises, but still bunged up with this darn cold. It seems you all liked the colour red, I do find it a difficult colour to work with, but it does make paintings vibrant.

Kevin I had an image of a horse shoe and a rusty nail on an old weathered painted board, but went for the flowers instead. So after seeing yours I may just resurrect the idea. The washy effects of the clayboard look good. Must admit though, canít see the mustard and ketchup! :evil:

Chris the sparrow and the post are bril, and really work well together, itís a pity that this is not what you had in your mind when you first set this task, I think you should have another go at doing a macro. Just love the colours of the post and those greens, maybe my recipe but youíre the one thatís cookiní!!! :wink2:

maltman
08-16-2005, 07:03 PM
I am going to repeat myself

WHY ARE THESE IMAGES HERE IN THIS FORUM?......THEY ARE FINISHED PAINTINGS,NICELY PACKAGED INTO ONE POSTING.....SO THEY DON'T TAKE UP EXTRA SPACE....
I WOULD MUCH RATHER " THE POWERS THAT BE" , RESTRICT THE NUMBER OF POSTINGS PERMITTED BY ONE PERSON TO ONE PER DAY ,OR EVEN TWO DAYS, IN THE GALLERY TO ALLOW OTHERS TO BE SEEN ....

THIS MESSAGE ALSO APPLIES TO ALL OTHER " CHALLENGES"....PROVIDED THEY ARE FINISHED.......THEY ARE FUN AND JUST AS ENTITLED TO BE IN THE "GALLERY" WHERE MOST OF US HANG OUT!

Brian

bluegenes
08-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Yikes! Malty, wow, is that steam coming out from under that bag???? ;) :D

Patty

llis
08-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I am going to repeat myself

WHY ARE THESE IMAGES HERE IN THIS FORUM?......THEY ARE FINISHED PAINTINGS,NICELY PACKAGED INTO ONE POSTING.....SO THEY DON'T TAKE UP EXTRA SPACE....
I WOULD MUCH RATHER " THE POWERS THAT BE" , RESTRICT THE NUMBER OF POSTINGS PERMITTED BY ONE PERSON TO ONE PER DAY ,OR EVEN TWO DAYS, IN THE GALLERY TO ALLOW OTHERS TO BE SEEN ....

THIS MESSAGE ALSO APPLIES TO ALL OTHER " CHALLENGES"....PROVIDED THEY ARE FINISHED.......THEY ARE FUN AND JUST AS ENTITLED TO BE IN THE "GALLERY" WHERE MOST OF US HANG OUT!

Brian

Hi Brian: I understand your confusion. It's always hard to make changes. What we are trying to do is create an on-line gallery for our individual finished works and keep all the group projects, challenges, and other activities that we do in different forums so it will give the gallery the look and feel of walking into a real gallery and being able to view and comment on indvidual paintings.

Kev has been great to put up challenges that we all can work on as a group and then to add poems! That's great fun for all our studio friends.

Let's enjoy both places to post our work. We can work together in the studio, learn and grow together and have fun sharing our accomplishments and then those of us that want to hang our individual work in the gallery can do that too.

Kev's challenge threads can be found in the studio as it is not actually a project that uses the WC! project system like the thumnail gallery does. I agree... it's going to take so getting use to, but let's all give it a chance and see if we can make all the sub forums in the Watercolor channel work.