PDA

View Full Version : Bridges

timelady
01-08-2002, 05:51 AM
Well I promised mame I'd post these! These are the canvases I've been asking how to varnish on other boards. I comment a lot here but don't post my own work much so it's about time I stuck my neck out like everyone else. :)

These are 2 of many many many bridge paintings (more specifically, buildings on bridges), but the only ones that aren't actually paintings. They're charcoal, turps, straight acrylic resin and on the smaller one some acrylic texture paste (for the white areas). No titles yet, and I don't usually work with these materials on canvas, but I'm really pleased with the results especially the large canvas. The smaller one could be more abstracted but I've decided to leave it and enjoy a slightly more figurative drawing. I also had to use Photoshop to airbrush the white areas in stronger because the light in my studio was awful. Small one is about 14"x20", large one is about 24"x40".

http://www.tina-m.com/art/bridge2.jpg

http://www.tina-m.com/art/bridge1.jpg

Will post some of the paintings later - but there's so many of them! My goal is now to find exhibition space specially for a bridges exhibition possibly next winter. I really want to be quite specific about hanging these works together. (I have two other exhibitions this year, and am trying to secure a third in spring. An artist's work is never done...)

Hey, I'm a minion now!!!!! :cool:

Tina.

mame
01-08-2002, 07:18 AM
Hey, Tina. Looking good. Sometimes cybperspace is just a pain for not picking up the visual nuances but I have a sense they are there in these two examples. Look forward to seeing the series.

My 2 cents - think you could get a bit more of the mid-range values in.

Just thought of another process. Powdered graphite(can't remember brand, comes in a jar. Not going into the cold garage to find it!) mixed with rubbing alcohol. Can be "painted" on and lights lifted out by rubbing out with a rag. Can draw into it.
Can be set with the the spray architects use to keep drawings from smudging and then proceed with other materials

Good going!

artlover
01-08-2002, 10:27 AM
Haunting...

I like these...I am intirgued by the methods you used and the almost-not thereness (if that makes any sense) of the bridges and buildings (esp. the first one!) I like how you've given just enuf info to get my mind and emotions going...

Also, I'm a big fan of Kathe Kollwitz and although these don't contain figures or faces they immediately made me think of her work...

dnip24
01-08-2002, 02:52 PM
It's excellent!

colorme
01-08-2002, 09:44 PM
these are excellent tina, thanks for sharing them w/ us.

AmyH
01-09-2002, 03:23 AM
hey,

looks good. agree with mame re missing subtle nuances :( . I'd crop the first one above the x, gives it more impact, I think. The powdered graphite I use is called "General's" lol. never tried it mixed with rubbing alcohol, got to try that out! thanks mame.

thanks for posting, enjoy your work.

amy

kelly
01-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Reminds me of a photo negative...lots of atmosphere, very cool.

Wolrab
01-09-2002, 05:20 PM
The blocks of light and dark are well balanced. There is good variety of direction in regards to flow of the lines. The lines also exhibit a fluid loose wash in representation.