PDA

View Full Version : St Bride's, NL

Robert
08-08-2005, 11:58 AM
20x24 oil on canvas from a 9x12 study

afterimage
08-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Love your foreground! i have such a problem with creating the depth and edges to pull such a large & complex area off, in such a simple and suggestive manner. Do you mind sharing your process? great job!
Shirley

Robert
08-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I'll try - but please don't interpret my attempt as any belief on my part that I know all that much.
Generally, I try to scrub in the large value and color areas first, going usually from dark to light ( but not always). Then I lay in to the large areas with progressively smaller detail and varied color until I get to a point where I don't want any more detail. Then I usually abandon the painting. That's what I did on this one, anyway.
I try to simplify things into shapes and I try to refrain from getting too detailed. Gosh, I hope that helps some.

Robert
08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Shirley if you're still there maybe this will help better. It's a wash block in of another studio painting I started this afternoon from a sketch. The little gray blobs will be houses and they'll eventually lighten up quite a bit. Also, there's a little bit of a problem in the right corner that needs to be resolved but the good thing about starting out this way is that the paint's so thin that it's no problem to paint over, reestablish masses, etc. The washes are approximations of the colors and values. Some things will lighten up and some things will go darker as I move along. Anyway, it's one way among many of getting things started.

Bart W
08-09-2005, 04:05 AM
Looks like it is raining on your painting. It's very wet on that landscape anyway. That's well done! The other one you just started looks interesting too (I find those line's indicating the road always very hard to do right. Hope you will manage).

Robert
08-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Bart - it had been raining and it was still misty. I went back in and smudged up the structures a little, lightened the roofs, etc. I haven't done many wet scenes so it's still a little new to me; so is doing studio paintings from sketches, for that matter.

Bill Wray
08-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Lovely. Nice mood, design and color. I love the pattern quality you get from your brushwork /color levels. My only question is do you think allot about the center of attention? Did you intend for it to be second house from the right? I'm wondering out loud if in a funny way the whole painting is the center of attention. I'm not quite sure what I mean by that, but I find the big pattern quality so interesting I just keep looking at the whole of the meadow.

Robert
08-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Bill, that's a good question about the center of attention. I think about it sometimes but I guess I'm kind of a whole painting sort of guy. I'm afraid if this one had an inarguable focal point, it might not work overall. It might not work for a lot of people anyway - I did think about that - and I tried not to do anything gratuitous in my anxiety, like load up on the paint to make it look more like "art".

Bill Wray
08-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Regardless, I'm enjoying your work, keep posting.