PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions?

CatherineAnne
08-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi,

I've been a member for a while but this is my first post.
Anyone have suggestions as to how I can improve the background on this painting? I'm fairly happy with the horse, but not with the overall "feel" of the picture.

Thanks! :wink2:

Silent Jaguar
08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
I think your painting is great! :D The only thing I'd suggest is toning down the blue sky a bit, it is fighting the horse.

mrs willow
08-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I think your painting is great! :D The only thing I'd suggest is toning down the blue sky a bit, it is fighting the horse.
Hi Catherine! Congratulations on your first post. I think you have a good painting but I do agree with Silent Jaguar. That blue is far too stong..the eye cannot decide where to look.
Suggestion:1. that instead of having any sky at all, carry the cliffs right across. The sky shape (even even without the blue) being right on the edge of the painting' is very distracting.
Suggestion: 2. maybe paint sky (in softer colours) right across and eliminate the cliffs??
Hope this helps.
Sandy

stoney
08-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi,

I've been a member for a while but this is my first post.
Anyone have suggestions as to how I can improve the background on this painting? I'm fairly happy with the horse, but not with the overall "feel" of the picture.

Thanks! :wink2:

Great job on the display of speed. Perhaps some clouds in the background?

Freestyler
08-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I agree with Silent Jaguar ad mrs willow - the sky is too bright a blue for that angle of the horizon and I don't think adding clouds would help (sorry, stoney! :wave: ). I think it would be better if the background was all cliffs. I do love the colours and brushstrokes at the bottom, as stoney say, gives a sense of movement, and contrasts well with the detail of the cliffs.

3chaway9
08-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Hi Catherine,
i agree with all the above.....show it again if you want to change anything
the horse is terrific.

Lady Carol
08-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi Catherine. Welcome to the forum.
The sky is way too dominant. You could tone it down with glazes of other colour. It should be paler towards the horizon anyway.

Incidentally, the horses back legs and butt are rather under developed when you look at the front legs and neck which is rather thick. This horse would not make a good jumper :D The movement/speed is wonderful.

Marty C
08-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi CartherineAnne,
Welcome to Wet Canvas and to the Acrylics Forum:wave:
Nice work on the horse and the foreground area, it gives a good sense of speed.
What you need to do is impart this same sense of speed to the whole work. As has been said, the blue of the sky is far too strong. Normally the sky at the horizon and just above it is a very pale washed out blue, gradually deepening with increased altitude.
The second element you must work on is the background cliff.
When planning a work, you must decide what the focal area will be, and once that is settled then all other elements in the work should work around this focal area, supporting and reinforcing whilst not competing or detracting from the focal point. Your background cliff here is competing with the horse. If you look at all your ground work up to the cliff it is blurred, suggesting speed, but the cliff itself is detailed, countering the rest of the ground area, and setting up a visual conflict with the viewer. To harmonise with the rest of the piece the cliff should not be so detailed. At present the detail and colour brings the cliff closer to the viewer. Less detail, lighter values, will push it back. If it were mine, I would cut the cliff off at the same height as the other hills, push it way into the background and put all my focus on the horse.

krystakaye
08-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Nice job! Congrats on your first post!
What if the cliffs/sky were blurred like the ground? The cliffs are wonderfully done by themselves, the horse and ground is very wonderfully done by themselves...just seems like the focal point is distracted with two things clearly painted (the horse and cliffs). Your eye would just attach to to the horse and not the cliff if the cliff and sky were more blurry.... just a thought.
Please post what your final...I would love to see how your decided to finish this.... Great job!!!

CatherineAnne
08-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all these helpful comments; I'll get to work on this!

Catherine

stoney
08-08-2005, 12:32 AM
I agree with Silent Jaguar ad mrs willow - the sky is too bright a blue for that angle of the horizon and I don't think adding clouds would help (sorry, stoney! :wave: ). I think it would be better if the background was all cliffs. I do love the colours and brushstrokes at the bottom, as stoney say, gives a sense of movement, and contrasts well with the detail of the cliffs.

[chuckling] No worries.