PDA

View Full Version : Working on this field hoping for advice

colours_man
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/43442-field_small.jpg
Hi,
I am fascinated by the big rolled up stray bales so had to have a go at a pining of them. Here it is, staring to take shape. I was hoping for comments, C and C etc to help me finish it off.

As you can see it was towards sunset.

16 x 20 inches on canvas board.
Thanks all for looking.

pero lane
08-07-2005, 01:16 PM
You're off to a good start and I really like this! :) I also love the way these bales look in a field!

You may look into breaking up that tree a little so it's not so "stiff"...a little sky showing through here and there and break up the edges some.

Of course just an idea to consider...I think this would look better without the barn/shed...it distracts. Maybe place another large bale closer to viewer (just at the edge of that shadow) for point of interest if you remove the barn.

Hope this helps...love your colors! :)

krystakaye
08-07-2005, 01:41 PM
HI Nick! I am originally from Kentucky and this looks like I just stepped out of my house there....Coming along very well!The red/oranges in the barn are perfect! (I like the barn there) The shadow is spectacular in the foreground. If you were going to add something/an edge of a tractor in the forground would be interesting-maybe just a tire of it? I think it is really well done as it is though. It looks like it is during "indian summer" the time of year right before winter hits and the last couple days of warm sunshine, the air is crisp but the sun keeps you nice and toasty.... good job!

colours_man
08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
I agree something big would be a good. Part of a really big bale maybe. I want to keep the barn as I love the rusty colours.
I have already made a few changed and will keep posting the revisions.

gnu
08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
absoloutely love what you have happening in the foreground and then the bales themselves. The BG lets it down though. The red may be right for RL,, but the eye is always drawn to red..perhaps you could grey it down mroe or change to a brown..?
THe roof is lost in the sky, perhaps change the tones there?
The barn would probably be casting a lot of shadow over that tree and the tree itself doing the same to the right..need some more colours in that tree and those bushes..they are all too same green and lost interest compared to that wonderful foreground..

3chaway9
08-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Nick,
good.....i love the colours.

colours_man
08-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Gill,
Yes on reflection you are right about the red - much as I like the reds its better to take them down a lot in intensity. I have already made the roof darker as I saw it not contrasting with the sky. Also I have made the tree darker, but it still needs work.
Thanks for the comments.

colours_man
08-27-2005, 05:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2005/43442-field_small2.jpg

Hi,
Sorry for the wait. I have made some changes, incorporating some of your suggestions (like adding another bale) and this is how it looks now. I dont think I will touch it again. I never like to go back to things, just start new ones.
C and C welcome.

gnu
08-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Much better! the focu now on the bales..well done..
PS I love how you lightened the shade. it's very well done and better than all cool...

3chaway9
08-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Great finish.

Lady Carol
08-27-2005, 10:49 AM
The extra bale helps with the composition.

Excellent finish.

colours_man
08-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did turn down the red in the barn a lot, but the camera still makes it look bright.

Charlie's Mum
08-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Nick, your colours are excellent at evoking atmosphere - lovely golden harvest!

The comp is greatly improved with that bale on the R.

For future ref, would you consider making some of the foreground shapes taller, to cut across the horizontal lines? It's often a good idea, compositionally speaking, to look through large shapes - they can help frame the comp and focus attention.

colours_man
08-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Thats interesting Charlie's Mum, my original photo had grasses in the foreground crossing the horizon, I was going to put them in at the end but never got around to it.