PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Paint Challenge #24

Europa
08-07-2005, 05:41 AM
It was Judy's turn this time to supply the ref pic :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/29499-Challenge_24_b-_Judy.jpg

JUDY'S

9x12 CP Arches #140, WN paints mostly some DS and MG.

My apologies to Mr. Rodin as I didn't even try to paint his sculpture piece but just a hint. I was struck when I went to this museum with this guy, so photographed him photographing. Had great fun with this as I didn't want to stick just with the photo, I have that, so played around with color. Hope you like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/29499-Challenge_24_-_Judy.jpg

Europa
08-07-2005, 05:49 AM
PAT'S

When I saw this I decided I wanted to inject a bit more colour into it and so I posterized it - the actual sculpture merged into the background leaving just the stand and to me it looked like one of those things you put a saddle on (no not a horse!!) - and with his hat he looked like a cowboy so I then made it sepia which added to the whole 'cowboy' effect - so that's what I painted. :D

Pat

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/29499-Challenge_24_-_Pat.JPG

Europa
08-07-2005, 05:50 AM
KATE'S

I loved working with this picture. Thanks, Judy. As you can see, I changed it a lot. First I got rid of his camera bag and the thing in his pocket, then the furniture and stuff on the right, and the door on the left. But then the space was too empty, and so I added the window? painting? on the right to balance it all. Then I decided to simplify the floor, but I needed something to tie the figure to the stool, so I made the light stronger and used the shadows to tie them together. Then the floor was too blah, so I added the squares, which might be a carper or might be flooring or might be tiles.

When I showed it to Dan, he said, "what is he doing?". LOL, I don't know. Is he sketching? taking notes? reading his catalog? I LIKE the fact that we don't know exactly what he's doing.

But I think I'm going to call it "the critic"

Kate

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/29499-Challenge_24_-_Kate.jpg

Europa
08-07-2005, 05:51 AM
LAURIE'S

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/29499-Challenge_24_-_Laurie.jpg

Europa
08-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Judy - I love the abstract feel of the wall against the realism of the man - great choice of colour. :clap: :clap:

Kate - A very apt title - I love the crisp lines and the addition of the painting on the wall - good idea to put the squares on the floor :clap: :clap:

Laurie - the first thing that caught my eye with yours was the light streaming in from the window - wonderful scene. :clap: :clap:

Well done again girls - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat

Kate Mc
08-07-2005, 06:24 AM
WOOT! This was a great choice of pictures!

Judy, I love the colors you've used. And also the light coming in from the side--I love the way you've let the colors bleed into the white. I never seem to be able to do that, and it's so wonderful. I also hadn't noticed how the platform thingy on the right leads the eye into the painting. Super!! Big clappies for our colorist! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat, as always, your posterizations are interesting. I love the color combination you chose. I can look at this for a long time thinking about what's going on there. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Laurie, oh, queen of the streaming light, I love the colors you've put in the shadows, especially around the sculpture. How'd you do the light??? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great work, Painterbuds!

Kate, who's wondering if it's Laurie's turn to find the next challenge.

painterbear
08-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi all,

What an interesting photo you chose for your subject this week, and it is really enjoyable to see how differently each of you interpreted it.

Each of you has brought something of yourself to the painting and I congratulate you on your originality and talent.

Sylvia

Laurie2
08-07-2005, 07:26 AM
I just love how different we all are....I am soooo proud to be part of the gang...:)

Each of your paintings stands out ....great work girls!

Kate the light is done with masking fluid and a wispy brush...it does have a number but it's worn off...and the shadows...well I bought a blue/black to use for a B/W portrait so I used that in a very weak mix.

Psst..doncha just love his mo?

bluegenes
08-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Wow! Never would have thought to use that photo as a reference! But you've all done such different and wonderful things with it! Way to go girls!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Patty

CharM
08-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Wow! Never would have thought to use that photo as a reference! But you've all done such different and wonderful things with it! Way to go girls!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Patty

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, because I keep saying the same thing about your ref images!!!

Judy... I LOVE all that drippy colour!!! Wow!!!! Gorgeously vibrant...

Pat... I LOVE yours for the absence of colour and your monochrome approach!! Very minimilistic and effective!!!

Kate... your approach is probably very similar to what I would have done... I like that floor... and the soft washes on your wall... Your title says it all!!!

Laurie... beautiful light streaming in through the window... terrific approach to this ref!

Kudos to every one of you... one reference, four pieces of art! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

hopefulbucky
08-07-2005, 12:29 PM
:clap: Guys you did a fantastic job!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is truly amazing how we all interpret so differently.

Pat yours is just great, little is lot with you and it is very effective. LOL how you lost Mr. Rodin's masterpiece.

Kate, I would know yours anywhere, very neat and well done, do you ever drip paint? (I mean that in the kindest way as I am always dropping drops, sort of like spilling coffee) I love how tidy everything is. Your sculpture Mr. Rodin would be so happy with as it truly looks like a sculpture. Like how you took out the unessential distractions.

Laurie, you have captured the light very well and also eliminated to emphasis the importance of the major objects.

Well done ladies.

I won't be participating in the next one as I told you I am leaving early Wed. morning for almost 2 weeks to celebrate my mom's 85th. Will see ya all when I get back and will check out what you accomplished on the next challenge. No computer up in the North woods of Wisconsin so won't be checking till I get back.

mr sandbanx
08-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/31024-smilie.bow.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/31024-smilie.bow.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/31024-smilie.bow.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/31024-smilie.bow.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/31024-smilie.bow.gif

All of you have taken a rather ordinary image and made a wonderful job of it!

Judy, very loose, beautiful colours. There is a lot of interesting shapes and textures here to keep me busy for a while. Wonderful!

Pat: Lordy! I really love the posterized image. Very creative and you have captured all of the important bits in a very simple and powerful painting. The colours are superb! (I have a craving for licorice allsorts when I look at this!) Bravo!

Kate, the figure is perfect. Very simply you have captured all that is important here. The shadow connects the sculpture to the viewer... I love this painting.

Laurie: Wow, one of your best efforts, I love the warmth in this piece. You have captured a room full of light....and the shadows are doing what Kates are doing...

Some amazing interpretations here ladies, keep em coming!

Chris

artmom
08-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I can't improve on what everyone else has already said!

So, what everyone said! ^^^^^^^ :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

maltman
08-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Ladies.....or should I say.... "to all others who are looking"...isn't it just marvellous to be able to see several interpretations of the same image...that's the real benefit of this and other challenges

As I started to scroll through, I was just blown away...love them all...you Gals are so good and improving so much each week...

Hats off to you all!

Brian (ex caddy)

Uschi
08-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Each one a different aproach - how wonderful!!! Enjoyed each and every version!
Uschi

olliewood0702
08-07-2005, 05:35 PM
They are ALL wonderfully individually creative! Wow, you guys are doing an excellent job. Love all three and enjoyed these immensley!

laudesan
08-07-2005, 11:36 PM
I absolutely love each and everyone of these..

All are so different, yet so appealing.

Laurie2
08-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Great work, Painterbuds!

Kate, who's wondering if it's Laurie's turn to find the next challenge.

:clap: Is it my turn yet?....:)

Europa
08-08-2005, 04:45 AM
:clap: Is it my turn yet?....:)

Yes it is!!! :D

Pat

jaytee
08-08-2005, 04:51 AM
This week's brought a HUGE smile to my face.......... I can almost feel the pleasure you all took in making this painting your own... great results........... well done :clap:

Laurie2
08-08-2005, 05:53 AM
OK...How about where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea...the view across the water from Carlingford, County Louth, Ireland

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2005/56900-MOURNE.jpg

Olga
08-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Good job all! They are all such clever interpetations of the photo... which each one of you interpreted in a reawlly original way... Judy's focus on color, Pat's on shapes, Kate's on composition and LAurie's on light... and they all succeed in teir own way. This is really a demonstration how a very same image, supposedly "realistically" painted can result in very different paintings which are not just painted differently but ABOUT different things!!! BRAVO!!!!

Olga

Laurie2
08-08-2005, 07:33 AM
or a portrait based on the Norman Rockwell triple

http://www.norman-rockwell.info/image/triple-self-t.jpg

:D

:evil: OK...which is it to be...the Mountains of Mourne or Norman Rockwell style self portrait
...(use your digital camera on timer for your rear view) :p

Europa
08-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Well not wanting to frighten the horses with a painting of my rear end I will plump for the Mountains of Mourne (aaaaaaargh!!!) - will swallow hard and bit the bullet.....LOL.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments - must admit I really enjoyed doing this challenge.

Pat

Kate Mc
08-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful comments! :wave: It's always nice to see what others see in my paintings.

Char, LOL, I've been trying to simplify, but sometimes I go too far. I'm starting to develop a style that looks like Edward Hopper :rolleyes: not that there's anything wrong with that....

Judy, LOL, I DO drop paint. I jut didn't do it on this one. Usually I drop it on the carpet or on my clothes.... :o I ruined a pair of white shoes by dripping pthalo blue on them. You KNOW that won't come out! Bon voyage and safe home. See you in a couple of weeks.

Chris, wow. Thanks. That means a lot. (Chuffed icon here)

Laurie, I was thinking of doing the Rockwell, but I can't find my pipe. So I guess it's going to be Ireland..... :p

Thanks to everyone who commented. This challenge is really good for me--I've been painting things I never would have tried before, thanks to my Challenge partners.

Kate, who's glad that Laurie didn't go to the Giant's causeway.....

Laurie2
08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Aw.......but....but......I wanted to do the Norman Rockwell thingie...but Mountains of Mourne it is.....I will keep NR under wraps til my next `go`and when there are no absentees :)
Have fun girls...I know it looks a tad boring after all the excitement but...change is as good as a rest and peaceful scenes are good for the soul....so `they` (?) say

stephie20
08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
WOW girls....these are excellent...and all so different.....

Celeste McCall
08-09-2005, 09:28 AM
I really love all of these. Way to go ladies!!!! Lots of clappies and smiles to all of you. :)